Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Terra Mystica for the first time last evening.

In the last round, we burned power as much as we can, to generate additional actions, money, workers - whatever.

Is this normal? Did this happen in your games, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
We played Terra Mystica for the first time last evening.

In the last round, we burned power as much as we can, to generate additional actions, money, workers - whatever.

Is this normal? Did this happen in your games, too?

I burn off about half my power very early in the game. In the last turn I'll burn off power to do whatever I can, and at the very least get some extra coins for points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you burn your power early because you want to speed up the circle or just because you need power in that moment?

We had a discussion about the burning of power - and if it helps you to have fewer power in your circle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb

In our first games we burned the power mostly at the end. Sometimes early just for one money ... you do't have to be afraid, and as already stated by you it will speed up the circulation ... I think to find a good power strategy is a way to victory. In general it depends on the race you use ... it is one big puzzle of this game. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well - does it really "speed up" the circulation? I don't think so: You still need 2 Income per spent power to gain it back in space III.

The only thing a reduced power pool does is reducing the amount you can store for a round. And, of course, your income limit.

But I like the system. Especially the twist with the third power space makes it interesting, when a player safes a lot of power to spend it in one turn for actions - but this means it takes long until he have it all back.

This is a kind of balance I really like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, glad you like TM!

I only burn through about 3 or 4 at the beginning. I keep the rest and cash it in during the 6th round.

BTW, how long did your 5p session last?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say about 3 hours, which is ok for a first game. Hm, maybe even a bit shorter, since I remember the guys leaving at 11 PM, and we had packed the game already and discussed a bit.

But the explaining took long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:

But the explaining took long...

For sure. The game is great and is easy to play, but it takes forever to explain all the rules. The 8 possible actions are easy to cover. It's the towns, cult track, bonus scrolls, round tiles, race abilities, player boards, power, etc. that take a long time to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, but most of us burnt half the power during the game and the remaining power at the end. We wanted to be sure to have enough power to use all of the special power actions pictured at the bottom of board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Gödecke
Germany
Braunschweig
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Yes, well - does it really "speed up" the circulation? I don't think so: You still need 2 Income per spent power to gain it back in space III.

The only thing a reduced power pool does is reducing the amount you can store for a round. And, of course, your income limit.

You are absolutely right in the point that it does not change the fact, that you need 2 power-income for 1 power point to gain it back to space III. But what soemone could think that is sped up is the amount of time your power points in total need to go into space III.

Let's say you have two players.
Player A with 6 power
Player B with 12 power
Both players comeplete power is in space III

Situation 1:
If both players use 6 power in one round there is no difference in the amount of income you need for those 6 power to get back to space III (12 income).

Situation 2:
If both players use all their power in one round, player A would need 12 income to get them back to space III and player B would need 24 income. If he only wants 6 of his 12 power back, player B would need 18 income to get 6 of his 12 power token into space III (12 income to get his 12 power to space II and 6 income to get 6 power to space III).

In the first situation there was no difference between player A and B. In the second situation player B would have done more in one turn, but he would need longer to get his power back into space 3 (if he does not use power burning).

So the effects of power burning are very situational. I think you could say that power burning speeds your power circulation, but as Thomas already said it limits your options for one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmikkl wrote:
Almecho wrote:

You are absolutely right in the point that it does not change the fact, that you need 2 power-income for 1 power point to gain it back to space III. But what soemone could think that is sped up is the amount of time your power points in total need to go into space III.

Yes, but note than those who don't burn their power could achieve exactly the same effect by leaving their extra power sitting in bowl III. In your example, player B has the same cycling rate if he only chooses to circulate 6 power at a time, keeping his other 6 in reserve. (I'm not suggesting that this is his best move.)

Mathematically, the only upside to burning power early is ... getting the effects of whatever you spent that power on. The faster circulation is 100% illusion.

My own perception is that it's useful to burn a little bit of your power very early, just to jump start your economy. I think burning half of your total power might be excessive, though, because it severely limits your capacity for absorbing the extra power created for you by your neighbors. I haven't played enough to know for sure, but that's my early feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chamberlain
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I realize this thread is old, but been playing a lot of TM lately and this exact discussion came up. While across multiple turns a player with 12 power tokens will take just as much power generation as a player with 6 tokens to generate the same power; the 6 power token player will get to use some of the power sooner than the 12 token player as long as the power generation is not extremely large.

For example both players have all their tokens in Bowl I. If they generate 12 power that turn, 6 token guy will have 6 tokens in Bowl 3, while the 12 token guy will have 12 tokens in Bowl 2. Assuming 6 token guy spends his 6 power, next turn they generate 12 power again.. now 6 token guy has 6 power in Bowl 3 and 12 token guy has 12 tokens in bowl 3. So across 2 turns they both will spend 12 power.. but the 6 token player got to spend some of it sooner. Granted the 12 token guy would have the option to burn just as the 6 token player did.

The drawback to the 6 token guy of course is he can never really spend more than 6 power in a turn, or store it across turns for emergencies, since if he stores his power he will generally lose out on power generation.

However, there is a big plus to burning off power in first turn. While you give up the ability to store power across turns, this game is so enormously ROI (return on investment) that often times burning power to buy a shovel, priest or 2 workers with power can really bring back a lot more rewards in future turns.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This question is in my mind heavily faction dependant. Swarmlings need to keep a lot of tokens until the very end as they generate a lot of mana during the income. Halflings can burn much at the start as they will not generate a lot of mana during the income. And so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.