Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Any Tips for newbies by seasoned players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
detroit cobra
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to get my copy of this long anticipated game today. Now I'm asking for some tips of more experienced players how to get into the game.

I've read about smaller starting decks - excuse me - books, in order to minimize the amount of unknown cards in the beginning of getting to know the game and the catch words in particular. Reducing the healthpoints would help to adjust the playing time of first sessions to a reasonable amount of time.

Is there anything else you would suggest for newbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I would strongly advice you to start out by playing 2-3 games with the apprentice spellbooks/reduced life... Then 2-3 games with the pre-built spellbooks.

After that you should be fine...

Your first couple of games will be bogged down by the glossary of terms, but it gets easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this game is as hard to get into as some people have suggested, but if you or your opponent(s) are new to gaming starting with the apprentice spellbooks might be a good idea. For more experienced gamers who's not afraid to "just try something" the pre-build spellbooks are easy enough. Adjust life if you are short on time or if you are planning on playing more than one game. A good advice I read somewhere was to start out with just playing some creatures and equipment for the first couple of turns. The rest will just fall into place after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zilfalon Keratol
Germany
Eching
flag msg tools
badge
youtube.com/zilfalon twitch.tv/zilfalon
mbmbmbmbmb
So you get your copy today? Mine is not even transportet yet....(watching the Tracker carefully)

Anyway, as a friend also suggested, we will use the smaller Spellbooks first, just to get the rules about turns and order and such down. Once we have that I think we quickly will move to the full Pre-Build Books.

I think that is a very good way to do, before you step in fully.

WHERE IS MY COPY AT?? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
My reason for using the apprentice spellbooks for the first couple of games (regardless of how experienced of a gamer you are) is two-fold.

1. It doesn't intimidate the the player as much.

2. The game isn't as long.

I promise you this, if you give a new player a 120 point spellbook, your in for a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Don't fall behind your opponent in any of the varying Power-Curves. If they cast a lot of Creatures, you must adjust quickly with lots of creatures -or- direct damage -or- armor -or- curses. If they cast a lot of Equipment, quickly determine which are marquee items that need to be destroyed ASAP (wands, lash of hell-fire, etc.). If they Turtle, gameplan quickly to crack that nut (fliers, fliers that can Cast Spells, global direct damage, etc.).

Try to save some Mana in the beginning. You dont have to cast both cards every turn. Often newbs will run so low on Mana, that they cannot afford to react to certain strategies. Economy is important in this game. The Turn-and-Burn(mana) caveat is more critical in this game, as opposed to simply saving "two blue" as you would in M:TG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also agree with the sentiment to use the Apprentice Spellbooks - they're easier to setup (and they are included in the full pre-built spellbooks, so it'll be easier to make those as well afterwards). The big thing they help with is reducing the amount of choices you have at your disposal. It's a big jump to go from picking from a hand of 5-7 or so cards to picking from a hand of essentially 50-60, so reducing that will help your game time. The shorter your game time is up front, the more games you'll be able to play, which will help you get the rules down faster, making your full games shorter as well in the long run.

We also have video tutorials online as well that can help with just seeing how play goes and answering some basic questions.

A big thing I always recommend to new players in the demos I run is to remember that the object of the game is to kill the opposing Mage. Sometimes you have to kill his creatures to do that, but not always. This helps them realize that you don't necessarily have to build up a huge army to win (or kill all of the opponent's creatures to win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmccoy wrote:

A big thing I always recommend to new players in the demos I run is to remember that the object of the game is to kill the opposing Mage. Sometimes you have to kill his creatures to do that, but not always. This helps them realize that you don't necessarily have to build up a huge army to win (or kill all of the opponent's creatures to win).

I've noticed that I tend to lose sight of that, and get involved in these huge creature wars. It's good to have a reminder every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way this game does share a similarity with M:TG is in how important it is to be able to look at the game state on any given turn and evaluate if it is in your favor or not, and react accordingly.

One example - say you have no creatures out, but your opponent has three. You have full health, but your opponent has half health.

Do you have the capability to kill your opponent before the opponents creatures kill you with this game state? If the answer is yes, then you want to burn down your opponent. If it is no, you need to work to change the game state - maybe by killing his creatures, summoning your own, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.