Subject: Darklings got wiped rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
Okay, yesterday we played all the races that we didn't play before. I tried the darklings. I got wiped out. I built a few churches to get those priest coming in, but it was not enough. I have to say we all scored lots of points (90 to 148) but I'd like to hear about your experience playing the darklings.

I'm thinking about changing the stronghold bonus to exchange one worker for a priest, up to 3 per round or something like that.

Thx, Daan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you built the Darklings' sanctuary? (=> 2 Priests...)

What other races were in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
Hi Helge, the other people were playing cultists, dwarves and witches.

I didn't get to build my sanctuary, it would have given me an extra priest every turn, but I don't think that would have made that big a difference, or do you?

Thanks, Daan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sanctuary generates 2 Priests.
Plus an easy-to-get-town (Sanctuary, Settlement, Trading Post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Gödecke
Germany
Braunschweig
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thomas is absolutely right here. You should not underestimate the bonus you could have gotten from the sanctuary. On top of that you would also have gotten another bonus tile. There is also a round bonus tile which gives you a priest. Perfect for darklings. Did you use your power (normal usage and power burning) to save you the power action which gives you a priest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
The sanctuary gives 2 priests, but you get a church back, so one less priest. Net result: +1 priest. The town bonus is nice, but the sanctuary costs 10 gold, which is a lot.

Daan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daanh wrote:
The sanctuary gives 2 priests, but you get a church back, so one less priest. Net result: +1 priest. The town bonus is nice, but the sanctuary costs 10 gold, which is a lot.

Daan

Well, for this action it's true. However, you can "rebuild" the temple with a later action, getting you more priests in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I didn't get to build my sanctuary, it would have given me an extra priest every turn, but I don't think that would have made that big a difference, or do you?

Thanks, Daan

As you had two factions competing for the same terrains as you (cultists for plains and swamps, witches for lakes), it is crucial to get enough priests quickly.
So the sanctuary actually is strongly recommended - with just another building upgrade you get one more bonus tile and another priest (and maybe a scoring?).
Costs: 4 Workers 10 Gold, 1 Action
To get the same with another temple, you have to make far more effort: (maybe terraform and build a dwelling), upgrade a dwelling into a tradinghouse, upgrade a tradinghouse into a temple.
Costs: (terraforming + 1 Worker + 2 Gold, 1 Action) 2 W + 3 G, 1 A; 2 W + 5 G, 1 A =
(terraforming + 5 W + 10 G and 3 A)
or 4 W + 8 G and 2 A and you lost worker/gold income for the upgraded building.

With Darklings I would try to get the sanctuary in the first round (the two favor tiles will give their bonus for the remaining rounds...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
Horologiom wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Daan

As you had two factions competing for the same terrains as you (cultists for plains and swamps, witches for lakes), it is crucial to get enough priests quickly.
So the sanctuary actually is strongly recommended - with just another building upgrade you get one more bonus tile and another priest (and maybe a scoring?).
Costs: 4 Workers 10 Gold, 1 Action
To get the same with another temple, you have to make far more effort: (maybe terraform and build a dwelling), upgrade a dwelling into a tradinghouse, upgrade a tradinghouse into a temple.
Costs: (terraforming + 1 Worker + 2 Gold, 1 Action) 2 W + 3 G, 1 A; 2 W + 5 G, 1 A =
(terraforming + 5 W + 10 G and 3 A)
or 4 W + 8 G and 2 A and you lost worker/gold income for the upgraded building.

With Darklings I would try to get the sanctuary in the first round (the two favor tiles will give their bonus for the remaining rounds...).

That gives me something to think about, especially the other races competing for terrain. That is definitely something to consider from the start!

By the way, thanks for this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:

Hmm, I am startled. The Darklings get four workers in the first round and 15 gold. Am I wrong in summing up the cost for upgrade to trading post, upgrade to temple, upgrade to sanctuary at eight workers and 18/21 gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would try

doesn't mean it is possible every time (we looked into that), but with the bonus card "+ 2 workers" and some power burning (and power actions) it could be possible (therefor you must use your priest as a worker).

Anyway, at least in the second round the darklings should be able to get their sanctuary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
Okay, and then? You have some priests coming in, you can convert spaces, but then? What is it that could possibly make darklings a contender for the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will leave it to you to explore how to win with them. (Hint: area scoring!)

In the testing sessions the Darklings did quite well coolcoolcool.

Winning isn't just a question about the factions special abilities, it is a question of timing your actions and synchronizing them with scoring opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, take this with a grain of salt since I'm still a newbie at Terra Mystica.

I played the Darklings last night. I was initially very reluctant about them, as it seemed hard to get priests to build.

But...you only need one priest per spade, as compared to 3 workers. That's not all that hard to get.

I really focused on getting priests at every opportunity. I took power boosts so I could use the "gain a priest" power action more often. I took bonus tiles with priests.

I set up for one big round which had a '2 points per spade' bonus. With a few priests in reserve, and grabbing the '6 power for 2 spades' action, I was able to terraform 10 spades worth of terrain spaces, scoring 40 points just for terraforming! This also set me up with tons of workers and made it easy to get the largest area bonus, winning by a large margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With a few priests in reserve, and grabbing the '6 power for 2 spades' action...

Oops! It was pointed out to me in another thread that the Darklings only score their bonus points for terraforming done using priests to terraform. Which means I didn't have quite as many points as I thought I did. Still in the lead though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played this game for the first time last night and I wanted to play "black" but had no other idea what I was getting myself into. I chose the Darklings, I went against Giants, Dwarfs, and yellow(not sure they get a free terraform as their special when their big building is built)

Even though I did get a priest at first, the loss of extra workers seemed to hurt, but then again this was my first run through and I really had no clue what to do!

I did feel the sting of loss of money on the second round and the extra cost to build a sanctuary hurt and I got trapped, eventually not being able to expand my town at all with the sanctuary because it only had two spaces

I did make a quite a ton of mistakes with my turns even forgetting to take the money for four power as someone reminded me to because I thought expanding was more important, turns out I was wrong.

I did enjoy it just felt a little hard to play the Darklings as a newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone above said the Sanctuary gives "an easy-to-get-town (Sanctuary, Settlement, Trading Post)".

Is that bad math or am I missing something? I thought you needed 7 Power Value for a town, even if it includes a Sanctuary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You've also taken two favor tiles in the course of building your Sanctuary, so presumably one of them was the 6-power town tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:
Quote:
I would try

doesn't mean it is possible every time (we looked into that), but with the bonus card "+ 2 workers" and some power burning (and power actions) it could be possible (therefor you must use your priest as a worker).

Anyway, at least in the second round the darklings should be able to get their sanctuary.

Hmm, I'm probably missing something. If you use your priest as a worker, you're still short 1 worker and 3 gold. How can you get this through Power actions?

You start with 7 power in bowl II, so I assume the only way is if you get to leech some power during the first round (before it's too late). But as far as I can see you actually need to leech all the rest (5 power), so you fill up bowl II. Then you burn half of it (6) and get 6 power. 3 power -> worker, 3 power -> 3 coins. Or you can take the +2 workers power action, but then will need to use one of them as a coin, so it makes no difference.

Am I missing something, or is this the only way? If so, it seems extremely unlikely to occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. Stronghold bonus tile and generating 5 pw is what needs to happen. Usually it is better to just build a temple and to try to get additional priests through bonus action and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGuckin

Auburn
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
Someone above said the Sanctuary gives "an easy-to-get-town (Sanctuary, Settlement, Trading Post)".

Is that bad math or am I missing something? I thought you needed 7 Power Value for a town, even if it includes a Sanctuary.

I was thinking the same thing.
Sanctuary, Trading Post, Trading Post would do it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The statement implied that you chose the fire favor with town scoring after power value of six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.