Pirates of the Spanish Main» Forums » Rules

Subject: What does the longship ability do for me exactly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brooklyn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
What is a stern turn? it says i can do this as a free action after i move but no where does it specify in the rule book what a stern turn is or how a stern turn is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
The keyword description in the rules explains exactly how it works, including the stern turn.
Frozen North Rules wrote:
Longship. When you give this ship a shoot action, roll two dice and count each die as a separate attack (this ship has two cannons on each mast). This ship cannot pin or be pinned.
If this ship rams, she gets +1 to her boarding roll. As a free action, this ship can rotate on her stern (the rear of the ship) in any direction after she completes a move action. If derelict, this ship gains a base move of S.

A clarified and slightly revised version of the text can be found here as well: Pirates Master Keyword List
Master Keyword List wrote:
Longship
When you give this ship a shoot action, roll two dice per mast and count each die as a separate attack (this ship has two cannons on each mast). This ship cannot pin or be pinned. If this ship rams, it gets +1 to her boarding roll.
When given a move action, this ship can rotate on her stern (the rear of the ship) in any direction as an additional, final movement segment. This ship may be given move actions when it has no masts; its printed base move becomes S.

It allows you to literally spin the ship to point in any direction after you move it, using the rear of the ship as the pivot point. It represents (in a somewhat abstract way) the greater maneuverability of that ship relative to others that can't make a stern turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.