Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: BGG Secret Santa 2012 Communications
How has the communication with your target and from your Secret Santa been?
Have you contacted your target? Has your target replied?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I haven't contacted my target and do not intend to do so
12.7% 21
I haven't contacted my target, but intend to do so
9.1% 15
I have contacted my target, but haven't got a response
23.6% 39
I have contacted my target and got a response
54.5% 90
Voters 165
Did you receive a message from your Secret Santa? Did you reply?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I didn't receive a message from my Secret Santa (yet)
57.6% 95
I received a message, but haven't replied (yet)
5.5% 9
I received a message and replied
37.0% 61
Voters 165
This poll is now closed.   166 answers
Poll created by Davio
Closes: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 am

I've noticed in the main BGG Secret Santa 2012 thread that there are a lot of nervous Santees still waiting to hear from their Secret Santa. Maybe you are one of the Santas who doesn't know what to write to your target, maybe you are a bit shy, or maybe you didn't have the time. That's OK, remember that a lot of Santees still like to hear anything to let them know they're not forgotten.

How has your communication been? Did you hear anything from your Santa? Did you try to make contact? How did that go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Syroit
Netherlands
Geldrop
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are silent, My Santa and my Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE SILENCE!!!! It's killing me....... surprise whistle Merry Christmas all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Positive on both counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Santa is silent, but my wishlist is diverse. So, I just hope, he or she could do the selection without my help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea - hopefully this will calm some worried people down! I did some polls last year (planning to do some this year but not organized yet!) and one thing to remember is that the people who answer this type of poll are the type who are more likely to have contacted their target (i.e. the poll is biased toward the people who use BGG more). But the question about your Santa is more telling, as that is more of a random sampling.

At this stage last year about half of the people who did the poll had not heard from Santa.

So don't panic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to see that there are people voting for "No contact and no intent". Their Santees may get pretty nervous, but at least it means that "not hearing anything from your Secret Santa" doesn't automatically mean your Secret Santa isn't working on it.

I know the poll is biased towards active BGG users, but I think the results are still interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those "No contact and no intent" people. I simply do not see any fun in taunting. Besides, my target (strange word - sounds like something to shoot at) is not very active on BGG. He visits the site often, but I haven't seen him posting in any of those "why my Santa hasn't contacted me" threads, so I hope he is OK with my silence. Finally I have several ideas for what to send and I'll definitely let him know when the gift is dispatched. Just my 2 cents though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dube
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making both sata and no pro with secret santa but nothing from my santa grogs and both of my dedicated victim ninja answerd me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, this is my fourth year participating in Secret Santa and I've never had any messages from my Santa. (And it appears likely that trend is continuing again this year.)

Even though I've never had any messages, my Santas have always sent a great (and generous) gift, so I don't really worry about it any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sixth year as a Secret Santa, and the communications and presents have been mixed. The first year I got a lot of goodies in addition to a game. In other years I have had next to no communication, just a game, to lots of communication and several games. Last year I thought I had a failed Santa, but after some prodding he did eventually deliver.

Apart from my first year as Santa when I didn't really know what to do, I always try and throw a message out of some sort, to see how my target responds. Most years I've been lucky, and they really liked the Secret Santa messages. One year I got no response whatsoever (including no posting on the 'Look what Secret Santa sent me' list). This year it was really useful as my target gave me some further instructions in his reply. Haven't heard from my Santa yet - we'll see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's make it clear that you are never obligated to contact or "taunt" your target, but a lot of Santas like to have fun with their Santees before sending them a gift and a lot of Santees appreciate being contacted.

One of the reasons I made this poll is to take away some of the uncertainty from people who haven't heard from their Santas.

As there are lots of Santas who deliberately don't contact their targets, it doesn't mean they're forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if my SS is reading this... Although I don't see fun in taunting, I am not in any way against it. And I will be glad if SS proves that I am wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Syroit wrote:
Both are silent, My Santa and my Target.

Ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I find it somewhat reassuring that there are at east 8 santas who have remained silent but clearly still seem to be active on BGG.
I guess some santas simply prefer to remain silent. Everybody's different!
I, for one, LOVE to cook up schemes and make gift giving a big ordeal in general. You should have seen our kids' faces last year when we wrapped and gave them all vegetables as gifts on Christmas Eve! Priceless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hadn't heard anything yet and not sure that i will. but i'm still having fun with my victim i mean target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
My target and I have been quite chatty, but haven't heard a peep from my Santa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
To much stuff going on and haven't had a chance to contact my target yet, I'll take care of that today. I haven't heard from my Santa at this point though, we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest i wouldn't really care if my santa was silent.

I do think however if you're an active santa a simple "santa is here" or the like message to your target would alleviate any uneasiness or anxiety your target might be feeling.

It's one thing to not enjoy taunting it's another to just ignore them and leave them hanging. It's not even that i doubt i'll get a gift still plenty of time and many people get gifts without comments, and besides i signed up to have fun with my target so i enjoyed the giving part.

But to not know makes you wonder if your santa has even logged in since the targets were assigned. Which is a terrible thought to have if your santa is an awesome silent ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a taunter. I think I may have once contacted my target, just to ensure they got their gift because they didn't post about it on the geeklist, but otherwise, I don't contact them. I might sometime, but it just isn't my sort of thing.

I don't mind if my Secret Santa contacts me, and maybe gives me some fun clues about what I'm going to get, but I actually don't e njoy it when they ask me question after question and try to get me to jump through a bunch of hoops before they send me my present. I don't mind playing a game that I signed up to play, but not some strange game that somebody made up that I don't know the rules to.

Any way about it though, I've always enjoyed Secret Santa a lot. My target has already received and played the game I got him, which is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well being new this year i wasn't sure what i was going to do but had it in my mind to at the very least contact my target saying hi send tracking number etc. but my target has 0 information to go on so i just went from there asking for general things like a wishlist at the very least and i got a positive responce and its just gone from there. though i still hadn't heard from my i'm ok with that. though knowing that my notes and things have been cracking my target up have been making my day and making my notes enjoyable for me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that some people don't have the time or don't see the fun in mailing with their santa/target, but I think it would be really nice if everyone would just send their target an email saying sth like: Santa's thinking about you, so you don't need to worry.
This year it's my third time and thankfully I had great luck with all my Santas and targets, but I know that I'd be sad if I didn't even hear a word from my Santa. It is all about the giving, but I think we can all agree, that it's also wonderful to receive a gift yourself. And if I had to worry if my Santa is on the run for 2 months, I think it would take a bit of fun out of the whole experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double B wrote:
I understand that some people don't have the time or don't see the fun in mailing with their santa/target, but I think it would be really nice if everyone would just send their target an email saying sth like: Santa's thinking about you, so you don't need to worry.
This year it's my third time and thankfully I had great luck with all my Santas and targets, but I know that I'd be sad if I didn't even hear a word from my Santa. It is all about the giving, but I think we can all agree, that it's also wonderful to receive a gift yourself. And if I had to worry if my Santa is on the run for 2 months, I think it would take a bit of fun out of the whole experience.

I would agree, if I thought my target wouldn't receive a gift very quickly (perhaps because it's being mailed from far away.) This year, my recipient received their gift sooner than I would even expect a Secret Santa to send out a message, so I'm sure nobody was worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not heard from my Santa which I'm fine with. After all many are the strong silent type.

More worrying is my target hasn't even logged on for two weeks. I did an initial geek mail and then one to say pressies on the way but no response on profile. Games due to arrive Monday so I hope he logs on then! I just hope all is fine. Only a coma would stop me logging onto BGG for two weeks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My target was very cooperative cool thumbsup yellowtrain
But didn't discover my identity

I heard nothing from my Santa. Maybe I was very bad boy this year blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.