Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction

This is actually our fourth session but in our third game night. If you have read my sharing on second night session of Andean Abyss (AA), you would know by now i play board games with my gaming group only during weekends and night time. Also, this is a rather long session report, so i hope it won't bore you too much with some of the details included.

This time, again, we used the amended rule from Volko in negotiation, plus our own houserule of rolling a d6 die of 1-3, a success in negotiation, 4-6 a failure and all resources simply vanish. We started at 11.00pm sharp after setting up without much further clarification. We have all agreed to stop the game at the third propaganda card if the game really drags too long.

Game Setting

Me: FARC
Philip: Government
Nick: Cartel
John: AUC

Game Progress

This session was destined to be full of surprises and interesting outcome right from the start. The following are the event cards drawn in sequence (with faction's sequence on bracket for reference) and i will explain the details of player's actions. It won't be in full detail but an overall progress (as usual, as much as i could remember).

1) Carabineros (A-C-G-F)
2) Propaganda
3) Occidental & Ecopetrol (G-F-C-A)
4) Senado & Camara (A-G-C-F)
5) Oil Spill (G-F-C-A)
6) Narco-War (C-F-G-A)
7) Crop Substitution (F-C-A-G)
8) Gramaje (F-A-G-C)
9) Airdropped AKs (F-C-A-G)
10) Amazonia (C-F-G-A)
11) Peace Commission (F-A-C-G)
12) Los Derechos Humanos (A-F-G-C)
13) Bloques (A-C-G-F)
14) Pinto & del Rosario (A-F-C-G)
15) Salcedo (C-G-A-F)
16) Cocaine Labs C-F-A-G)
17) Poppies (C-F-A-G)
18) Fuerza Aerea Colombiana (G-A-F-C)
19) War Tax (G-C-F-A)
20) Tres Esquinas (G-C-F-A)
21) Ayahuasca Tourism (C-A-F-G)
22) Sucumbios (F-C-G-A)
23) Tingo Maria (C-F-A-G)
24) Drogas La Rebaja (C-G-F-A)
25) Operacion Jaque (F-G-C-A)
26) General Serrano (C-G-A-F)
27) General Offensive (F-G-A-C)
28) Madrid Donors (G-C-A-F)
29) Op Millenium (C-G-F-A)
30) Propaganda

Everyone was caught by suprise just how soon the Propaganda card was to come out! The game started with this knowledge and AUC quickly seized the first opportunity to spread out guerrillas through Rally in outskirt departments. Cartel performed Limited Ops and then game proceeded to Propaganda card. Government was the biggest gainer who obtained 30 resources just like that, and now has 70 resources! The AUC was the most disadvantaged as John obtained only one. Then the game progressed to the next card where the Government conducted Ops with special ability to spread out troops and police quickly, same for FARC, targeting department at the outskirts which also has Cartel's and AUC's presents. Then in the third event, Senado & Camara, Cartel passed, Government was ineligible to act and it was AUC again, wanted to play aggressive, John conducted Ops with special abilties. Then it allowed the FARC to use the event, which literally prevented Government to perform any Sweep or Assault on any FARC's guerrillas until next Propaganda card! This really made Philip so annoyed that he gave a huge sigh.... Philip began to complain to Cartel and AUC that he no longer has the ability to control FARC and sort of blame them for his current difficult position..laugh Next round, Government performed Eradicate on Cartel outskirt department that has two bases, and that again, sparked another bout of complain, this time it was from Cartel. Nick didn't realize Government's ability was so ridiculously powerful against the Cartel and he even said it doesn't make sense since Government dosen't need any troops or police to be present. Well, we weathered the storm after showing the rule book..and Nick got pissed off and decided to watch TV for a while to get over his frustration...yuk

This began the interesting war between them, where Cartel used Crop Substitution to turn Cali from neutral into active opposition, as a show of disgust and this significantly reduced Government's support as Cali has a population of 3! FARC then continued to spread guerrillas and build bases, same goes to Cartel using the Amazonia event, as he now learned about Cartel's vulnerability. FARC then continued to spread, same goes for AUC, and from my recent painful experience playing against AUC, i was closely monitoring his progress and AUC decided to expand and dominated the Antioquia-Bolivar and Cesar - La Guajira, regions on the north and north eastern of Colombia, also with the help of Bloques event card.

FARC almost decided to use the Pinto & del Rosario event against the AUC using Government's effect but decided not worthy as not many AUC guerrillas were at police location. Then Cartel had a good move by using the Salcedo event to relocate his guerrillas into cities of Cali and Santa Marta Barranquilla on the north..which also served as his new base in the future. By now, Government and FARC both have very limited resources of 15 and 3 respectively. Cartel was still rich with 20+ resources thanks to Cocaine Labs event, while AUC was around 5 due to Extort ability. FARC, already drained in resources, use Rally and Extort after passed one round earlier to get back to 1 resource from 0...gulp Next round, FARC managed to pull off the first Kidnap on the Cartel and added 6 resources... There was even a time where we noticed all factions resource marker were all sitting at 6,5,4 and 3, next to each other...well, with the colors of faction red, green, yellow and blue, actually it was quite colorful...

Depleted in resources, Government was eager to regain some form of control but surprised me for not taking Fuerza Aerea Colombiana (free three Air Strikes) or War Tax (instantly gain 1d6 x4 resources) but instead, went for Tres Esquinas (place 1 base and 3 cubes in a department for free). Then FARC was fortunate enough to have the chance to use the event of Ayahuasca Tourism, getting +3 resources after conducting free Terror with one guerrilla in any forest department, and that yielded FARC 18 resources! Then AUC was having evil plans (which i am still unsure why he did it) by taking Sucumbios event and thus, placing 2 pieces in Ecuador, threathening my guerrillas there bordering the country. AUC has also subtlely moved guerrillas into FARC zone for the final kill as he knew the Propaganda card should not be far. Cartel then rip huge profits by using the Drogas La Rebaja event after passing a turn, thus obtaining 20+ resources plus two new bases in cities..a turning point for Cartel as he was lingering at 1 resource at that moment.

Up to this point, everyone was busy controlling one another and tried to subtlely move into opponent's territories...and this event came up, General Offensive! FARC has earlier spreaded guerillas into 7 LoCs location preparing for Propaganda card and now, must decide, either use the event to get free Terror on all location (plus LoCs) and free attack, or use OPs with Special ability to Attack and Ambush AUC's guerrillas. Ambush is a guarantee success and removal of AUC's units while event card allows me to perform Terror and Attack! Before I can decide what to do, John was clearly defensive about me using this event where he argued that i must choose Terror or Attack in every location, not as an option where i can choose to perform either in each location. The argument got heated up with Nick threw in some unpleasant words that really upset John, while i was still checking on the rule book. Then John was so upset that he demanded to see where are the rule that clearly stated it could be done as optional, and later decided to temporarily sit out of the game and listened to his mobile phone, turning the volume loud, as a way of protest...arrrh Later Philip check the card's text and all three of us (except John) agreed it was optional and proceed as it is. John replied with "whatever"....yuk

FARC decided to go for the event and failed to remove more AUC guerrillas due to poor dice roll, only managed to remove two AUC's units in a less important location, out of a total of five locations selected (blame it completely on poor luck...shake ). John knew if this event kick off well, he would not have units left to do any Assassination on his next turn as everyone was contemplating the Propaganda card to be out anytime soon, tension was building high. All of us also agreed that the night was getting too late, nearly 2.45am ,and so the next Propaganda card would be the final ending.

Government was badly hurt by the General Offensive event, while AUC was barely touched, and so AUC removed three FARC bases during the next round. Then all scramble to try to do more but the Propaganda card was then revealed as next card. Everyone anticipated it and Government was the first to concede upon seeing it.

After Propaganda phase, the final result was:

FARC: -2
Government: -10
Cartel: -1 (resource +5, base -6)
AUC: -2

After all the grimmy face and arguments, what a close battle and we finally had a surprise winner, the Cartel! We checked later and the next Propaganda card was 14 cards away...gulp

Player's Thoughts

FARC, in my opinion, is a very strong faction, especially when it can't be targeted by the Government and i should have won. I am not sure why i didn't win, perhaps it was to the AUC's credits in hindering my progress on behalf of the Government. Kidnap is a very powerful ability (and an enjoyable strategy to use on others, well, in general board game terms, not real life actions in anyway) and thus, must be used with care to avoid backlash from players. ninja

Government (in Philip's view), again, has a lot to plan and do. He finds that he must manage his resources well as Government's operations are costly to perform, and he reckons that he can't keep conducting Ops and Special abilities as he will soon run out of resources, just like this game, where he ended the game with merely 5 resources, which was more or less how much resources he had during the final 10 event cards. He also felt it was really annoying to see certain players ignoring events that benefit his opponent and yet ignore it which caused him to suffer badly later on (Senado & Camara event). Whenever he tried to plan ahead, everytime it was messed up by new situations or conditions...a very unpredictable game. Philip was having a hard time to replenish resources whereby unlike insurgents who may use Extort or Kidnap to increase resources, Government must wait for Propaganda cards or events. And, in this session, the first and second Propaganda cards were separated too far away, making it more difficult for the Government. Final words, lots of learning, high intensity, exciting and a very challenging plus mind-boggling game, especially when playing the Government. laugh

Cartel (Nick's view), what a great game and it was extremely interesting! He didn't expect to win as he was playing like an underdog and struggled with the Government's forces. He was lucky the Government was at the brink of bankcruptcy during middle to later part of the game and he was not badly affected when he build his bases in the cities. He even used his resources during the last round before second Propaganda card to Bribe away AUC's bases and prevented John from winning. AA is a very interesting and deep game where events sometimes play a crucial role and change the game play or situations completely...very nice was the word from Nick and full of praise from him on AA.

AUC (John's view), no comments...yuk

Final Notes

What a sensational and dramatic session of AA, full of emotions and dripping brain juice! laugh As i mentioned before, my game group consists of players who may throw away games or keep arguing on rules ambiguity. It was nonetheless, a pretty tense game where everyone was trying to beat each other. I attempted negotiation once with Cartel but was rejected...shake

Government and AUC were constantly having private talks which i thought shouldn't be allowed as the rule stated clearly negotiation or deals must be done with the involvement of resources or shipment, plus other non-rule binding favors between players. Therefore i will re-iterate this rule again in our next session and no deals are allowed outside the game.

At one point, we were confused as whether a player may Terror (or conduct Civic Action) on the same location multiple times, as long as he has resources to do so (we do know Terror can stack though). We played it the way that it can't be done but we only came to realization later that it is allowed. As long as we get the rules correct, arguments will be less in the future, and players will eventually accept the reality of AA, it's every man on their own, others will screw you somehow during the game, and by accepting it (which they eventually will, just like Cosmic Encounter), it will make AA a wonderful game to play for our group.

Events are tide changers, especially when they are used at the right moment and on the right spot! Planning is crucial but required flexibility when facing forever changing situations as new strategies or new priorities will constantly require reshuffling...

I have calculated, we played 30 event cards in 4 hours (240 minutes). Therefore 8 minutes per event card, and there are two players making decision for each event, so each decision is estimated taking 4 minutes...which was not too long, considering time needed for making decision and executing it. If we maintain this speed of play, i am a little bit concern as how long will it take for us to complete a four propaganda card full game?! gulp I am just wondering if this is normal or there may be some ways to make it faster? We were already playing as fast as we could and really hoping to play a full game in the future, in order to experience the complete game of AA.

Game started at 11.00pm and ended at 3.00am, where everyone went home at 3.20am, with three happy and satisfied gamers and one with grim look. laugh There you go, another exhausting night with AA but the fun and excitement after the game was beyond description...it was simply awesome!!

Thanks for reading and have a fun gaming weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading each of your reports and am very impressed by the amount of atmosphere you are able to convey. It also really makes me want to get this game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scopa wrote:
I've been reading each of your reports and am very impressed by the amount of atmosphere you are able to convey. It also really makes me want to get this game to the table.

Thanks a lot Keith, for taking the time to read my reviews and for the GG...really appreciate it.

Yes, AA is indeed a very unique game and we simply can't get enough of it, despite all the emotions and arguments...as all of us know eventually it will be fine and we will be playing AA or some other games together again pretty soon...laugh

If you like this sort of game and the genre, and don't mind allocating some time playing it, plus you can actually get three other friends to consistently join you for AA which is a heavy strategy game, you should give it a shot. If you are worried, then test play it first before making the purchase... if you have already purchased it, then hurry, play it! laugh

We have not even tried the negotiation option, which i strongly believe it will add more spice to the already wonderful game...

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

Jin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent report!

I am confused about something:

jininthenet wrote:

The Cartel victory margin is the lower of the two conditions (with more negative being "lower"), not the difference between the two conditions. The Cartel victory margin should be -6, which means that AUC should have won (since AUC wins ties) or at least you should have kept playing until the next Prop card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is correct. The Cartels certainly didn't win. But, if hands were shaken on the result I'm not going to volunteer for the job of telling the Cartels player.

Excellent session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a readout! Thanks for that!

Quote:
At one point, we were confused as whether a player may Terror (or conduct Civic Action) on the same location multiple times, as long as he has resources to do so (we do know Terror can stack though). We played it the way that it can't be done but we only came to realization later that it is allowed...

A space may only be selected once on a given Terror operation (clarified here), so you can buy as many Civic Action shifts as you like in a Training space, but you would be limited to one shift and one Terror marker added per space on a single card's Terror op.

And it sounds like you played "general Offensive" correctly!

Now go rest up for the next session! vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun session. Is John the guy that you were worried would throw the game -- and whose temperament you had in mind when you house ruled the resource exchanges?

jininthenet wrote:
his began the interesting war between them, where Cartel used Crop Substitution to turn Cali from neutral into active opposition, as a show of disgust and this significantly reduced Government's support as Cali has a population of 3! FARC then continued to spread guerrillas and build bases

Probably not a good move for Cartels to give FARC six points through Active Opposition in Cali. Were you able to leverage Cali's position as FARC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeO wrote:
An excellent report!

I am confused about something:

jininthenet wrote:

The Cartel victory margin is the lower of the two conditions (with more negative being "lower"), not the difference between the two conditions. The Cartel victory margin should be -6, which means that AUC should have won (since AUC wins ties) or at least you should have kept playing until the next Prop card.

Thanks for highlighting this point...yes, we made a mistake on this...oh well, at least it's a good mistake for the Cartel player, that's because he is now better charged up to play it again, and with less grudge i think...haha

Volko wrote:

Quote:
At one point, we were confused as whether a player may Terror (or conduct Civic Action) on the same location multiple times, as long as he has resources to do so (we do know Terror can stack though). We played it the way that it can't be done but we only came to realization later that it is allowed...

A space may only be selected once on a given Terror operation (clarified here), so you can buy as many Civic Action shifts as you like in a Training space, but you would be limited to one shift and one Terror marker added per space on a single card's Terror op.

And it sounds like you played "general Offensive" correctly!

Now go rest up for the next session! vfr

Hmm...i'm sorry for not getting this point, could you pls explain it a little bit more? What i understand now is: players may shift the support or opposition of each department as long as the player has the necessary resources (meaning they are limited by the amount of resources they have for Government, and the number of underground guerillas available for insurgents in any given space).

The second part of your statement which said about "one shift and one Terror marker added per space on a single card's Terror op" confuses me.. Did you specifically refer to the General Offensive event card, or does it generally applies to all event cards, or any other implications? Would like to clarify this part and it will never be a problem to our game in the future (English is not my first language, my apology for the confusion)...

And thanks for the GG Volko!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
A GREAT Read!

Thank You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cordo wrote:
Sounds like a fun session. Is John the guy that you were worried would throw the game -- and whose temperament you had in mind when you house ruled the resource exchanges?

jininthenet wrote:
his began the interesting war between them, where Cartel used Crop Substitution to turn Cali from neutral into active opposition, as a show of disgust and this significantly reduced Government's support as Cali has a population of 3! FARC then continued to spread guerrillas and build bases

Probably not a good move for Cartels to give FARC six points through Active Opposition in Cali. Were you able to leverage Cali's position as FARC?

John is the type of player who argues on rule ambiguities...that's because he is a highly competitive gamer and always looking for ways to maximize his position to win the game. Nick is the one who has the temperament to throw the game. They both have this tendency of becoming emotionally charged up whenever things don't go according to their plans, or when their game play or plans somewhow got screwed by others. But after the game, they are fine. That's the kind of gamer i have in my group whereby both Philip and me tried our best to manage them over the past 10 years during all kinds of game sessions... All four of us are gaming buddies for such a long time and we are kind of used to every reaction from any player, be it positive or negative, and over the years, we sort of compromised, even tolerated when necessary. Or else, we would have parted our ways long before this. laugh

As for the Cali's position, the Cartel player later Terror the place and switch it toward neutral...the Government shifted it once too. I guess Cartel recognized the threat of that city in helping the FARC to win the game.. And i was trying to send in guerrillas into Cali after that but was too late. But i am quite certain that he used that event out of frustration due to Eradication from Government...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4x scalper wrote:
A GREAT Read!

Thank You

Hi Lance, thanks for reading my session report and appreciate the GG very much! Have a nice day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jininthenet wrote:

Volko wrote:

Quote:

Hmm...i'm sorry for not getting this point, could you pls explain it a little bit more? What i understand now is: players may shift the support or opposition of each department as long as the player has the necessary resources (meaning they are limited by the amount of resources they have for Government, and the number of underground guerillas available for insurgents in any given space).

The second part of your statement which said about "one shift and one Terror marker added per space on a single card's Terror op" confuses me.. Did you specifically refer to the General Offensive event card, or does it generally applies to all event cards, or any other implications? Would like to clarify this part and it will never be a problem to our game in the future...

Sorry to be confusing! Let me refer to specific rules, to be more clear what I mean...

Quote:
3.1 Operations in General
The Faction executing an Operation (Op) chooses 1 of the 4 Opera- tions listed on its Faction aid sheet and, if applicable, selects the map spaces to be involved. The Faction usually pays a cost in Resources (not Aid, 1.7), often per space selected; it must have enough Resources to pay for the Operation, including in each selected space.
The executing Faction chooses the order of the spaces in which the Operation is resolved, the enemy Factions or pieces to be affected (targeted), and the friendly pieces to be placed or replaced. A single Operation may target one or more Factions and ignore others.

Quote:
3.3.4 Terror. Terror Operations in Departments or Cities neutralize (or, for FARC, build) Support or Opposition (1.6) and place Terror markers that hinder future efforts to influence it. On LoCs, they place Sabotage markers that block Government Resource earnings (6.3.1). AUC Terror harms Aid to the Government. Select any spaces where the executing Faction has at least 1 Underground Guerrilla; pay 1 Resource per City or Department (0 for LoCs).
PROCEDURE: Activate 1 friendly Underground Guerrilla in each selected space....

Above is the general rule about executing Operations and an example of a particular type of Operation, Terror. I had thought (as it seemed did the testers), that it was clear from this text that you are only allowed to select a given space once for a given Operation: you cannot select Huila for Terror 4 times on a card and pay 4 Resources to place 4 Terror markers and shift all the way from Active Support to Active Opposition.

But some folks thought that you could, for example, use your turn to Rally several times in the same spaces and thereby place all your Bases right away if you have the Resources to spend. You can't, but I saw that I needed to clarify the rules text, so I did so in the Errata, page 6, rule 3.1.

But note the rules for Civic Action (not an Operation itself, but sometimes part of a Train Operation):

Quote:
3.2.1 Train. Training Operations augment Government forces and possibly build Support (1.6). Select any Departments or Cities and pay 3 Resources per selected space.
PROCEDURE: First, in each selected Department with a Govern- ment Base AND in each selected City, place up to 6 cubes (any combination of Available Troops and Police). Then, in up to 1 selected space, either:
• Replace any 3 cubes with 1 Government Base (within stacking,1.4.2), OR
• Conduct Civic Action (6.4.1) to build Support. As during the Support Phase, the Government must have Troops, Police, and Control (a majority of forces, 6.2) in the space and must pay added Resources per 6.4.1 (even if Training was free).

Quote:
6.4 Support Phase ... 6.4.1 Civic Action. Government may spend any number of Resources to build Support in Govt-Controlled Cities or Departments that have both Troops and Police. Every 3 Resources spent removes 1 Terror marker or—once no Terror is in a space—shifts it 1 level toward Active Support.

Selecting a space once for Training and/or Civic Action allows spending on multiple shifts (because it says "Every 3 Resources spent...").

Quote:
General Offensive
In each space possible, choose and execute either free Sweep without movement or Assault (if Government), or free Attack or Terror (if Insurgent).

The "General Offensive" Event: In each space, choose Attack or Terror, once. As you played it, you can choose Attack in some spaces, Terror in others (indeed, you might have to do so, because Attack is only possible where enemies, Terror only where an Underground Guerrilla).

Again, sorry it's confusing, I hope that helps! Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
jininthenet wrote:

Volko wrote:

Quote:

The second part of your statement which said about "one shift and one Terror marker added per space on a single card's Terror op" confuses me.. Did you specifically refer to the General Offensive event card, or does it generally applies to all event cards, or any other implications? Would like to clarify this part and it will never be a problem to our game in the future...

Sorry to be confusing! Let me refer to specific rules, to be more clear what I mean...

Quote:
3.1 Operations in General
The Faction executing an Operation (Op) chooses 1 of the 4 Opera- tions listed on its Faction aid sheet and, if applicable, selects the map spaces to be involved. The Faction usually pays a cost in Resources (not Aid, 1.7), often per space selected; it must have enough Resources to pay for the Operation, including in each selected space.
The executing Faction chooses the order of the spaces in which the Operation is resolved, the enemy Factions or pieces to be affected (targeted), and the friendly pieces to be placed or replaced. A single Operation may target one or more Factions and ignore others.

Quote:
3.3.4 Terror. Terror Operations in Departments or Cities neutralize (or, for FARC, build) Support or Opposition (1.6) and place Terror markers that hinder future efforts to influence it. On LoCs, they place Sabotage markers that block Government Resource earnings (6.3.1). AUC Terror harms Aid to the Government. Select any spaces where the executing Faction has at least 1 Underground Guerrilla; pay 1 Resource per City or Department (0 for LoCs).
PROCEDURE: Activate 1 friendly Underground Guerrilla in each selected space....

Above is the general rule about executing Operations and an example of a particular type of Operation, Terror. I had thought (as it seemed did the testers), that it was clear from this text that you are only allowed to select a given space once for a given Operation: you cannot select Huila for Terror 4 times on a card and pay 4 Resources to place 4 Terror markers and shift all the way from Active Support to Active Opposition.

But some folks thought that you could, for example, use your turn to Rally several times in the same spaces and thereby place all your Bases right away if you have the Resources to spend. You can't, but I saw that I needed to clarify the rules text, so I did so in the Errata, page 6, rule 3.1.

But note the rules for Civic Action (not an Operation itself, but sometimes part of a Train Operation):

Quote:
3.2.1 Train. Training Operations augment Government forces and possibly build Support (1.6). Select any Departments or Cities and pay 3 Resources per selected space.
PROCEDURE: First, in each selected Department with a Govern- ment Base AND in each selected City, place up to 6 cubes (any combination of Available Troops and Police). Then, in up to 1 selected space, either:
• Replace any 3 cubes with 1 Government Base (within stacking,1.4.2), OR
• Conduct Civic Action (6.4.1) to build Support. As during the Support Phase, the Government must have Troops, Police, and Control (a majority of forces, 6.2) in the space and must pay added Resources per 6.4.1 (even if Training was free).

Quote:
6.4 Support Phase ... 6.4.1 Civic Action. Government may spend any number of Resources to build Support in Govt-Controlled Cities or Departments that have both Troops and Police. Every 3 Resources spent removes 1 Terror marker or—once no Terror is in a space—shifts it 1 level toward Active Support.

Selecting a space once for Training and/or Civic Action allows spending on multiple shifts (because it says "Every 3 Resources spent...").

Quote:
General Offensive
In each space possible, choose and execute either free Sweep without movement or Assault (if Government), or free Attack or Terror (if Insurgent).

The "General Offensive" Event: In each space, choose Attack or Terror, once. As you played it, you can choose Attack in some spaces, Terror in others (indeed, you might have to do so, because Attack is only possible where enemies, Terror only where an Underground Guerrilla).

Again, sorry it's confusing, I hope that helps! Volko

It's great that you took the time to explain the whole story...surprise

It is now crystal clear to me, Government may shift support multiple times (limited by resources available), while Terror is limited to once per card....thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on this AAR I conclude that Volko is an evil, evil man and Andean Abyss has a shot at becoming a friendship-killing game on a par with Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
Based on this AAR I conclude that Volko is an evil, evil man and Andean Abyss has a shot at becoming a friendship-killing game on a par with Diplomacy.

Except with a play time of 2-3 hours, you can break friendhips even faster!

Thank you for sharing your great session report Jin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Volko, one more issue to check with you regarding AA's events. One of the event that came out during our session was Madrid Donors. In the card description, it specifically mentioned about this in Government's effect: "Add lesser of Aid or +20 to Govt Resources. Then Aid +6".

We don't understand what is lesser of Aid and how this event works. Hope you can explain about it. I'm sorry if this has already been asked by other gamers and answered before this. I would appreciate it if other gamers of AA who knows the answer to share it with me. Thanks.

Jin

[Update: after reading through it many many times, i finally get what it means, i think. So, it is either current Aid level, or +20 resources and +6 to Aid..whichever is lesser, correct? So if the current Aid is 27, the Government should resort to the second option, right? Then what happens if the Aid is at 26?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the +6 aid doesn't happen until AFTER you collect your resources. That's why the card says "then".

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You collect the current Aid level, or 20 resources, whichever is less. Then you add 6 to Aid.

If the current Aid level was 17, you would collect 17 resources, then move the Aid marker up 6 to 23.

If the current Aid level was 27 23, you would collect 20 resources, then move the Aid marker up 6 to 33 29.

[Edit: fixed to reflect the correct maximum Aid level, thanks Volko!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeO wrote:
You collect the current Aid level, or 20 resources, whichever is less. Then you add 6 to Aid.

If the current Aid level was 17, you would collect 17 resources, then move the Aid marker up 6 to 23.

If the current Aid level was 27, you would collect 20 resources, then move the Aid marker up 6 to 33.

Oh i see....zombie Thanks for answering my question, it's very clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... then move the Aid marker up 6 to 33.

Note that Aid never rises above 29. (1.7 Resources and Aid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.