Subject: Zombie/Survival Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the zombie apocalypse and survival horror themes often found in movies and video games. Are there any board games you would recommend that handle this theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have heard Last night on Earth is pretty good. Might be worth a look.

Also there is Zombiecide.

See what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For survival theme I think The New Era is pretty interesting to.

Some of the art work got the The hills have eyes look I like (I also like the one where they drive a car and everything is empty and the dad get infected and they reach some army guys later but new era doesn't look like that one I suppose.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urge wrote:

Also
there is Zombiecide.

See what you think

Corrected for truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye on Dark Darker Darkest, it looks to be very promising for a survival horror feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Urge wrote:

Also
there is Zombiecide.

See what you think

Corrected for truth.

ZING!

Avoid Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Zombies!!!. Both are terrible, with many, many terrible expansions to waste your money on.whistle

Zombicide is an excellent game.zombie

Zpocalypse looks good, but still unreleased.zombie
Try Zpocalypse: Breakout to get a feel for it.

We Are Dead: Zombie Mall Massacre looks like a blast if you want to play things from the "other side".zombie

Some good card based games:
Cat & Chocolate
Zed Deck
Zombie in my Pocket
Zombies at your Heels
If I'm Going Down...
Eaten by Zombies!
Rise of the Zombies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth is a really good game that captures that Zombie dread feeling. It's very tough to kill the zombies and you spend most of the game trying to avoid them.

Zombicide is more like a video game, you blast away at the hoard.

They both have different scenarios so much replayability. Last Night on Earth features at least 1 person as the zombies and up to 4 others as the survivors. Zombicide is pure co-op with the Zombies played by the game.

The best explanation that another poster said is this:

Last Night on Earth is Night of the Living Dead.
Zombicide is Dawn of the Dead

They are both good games that scratch a different itch in the Zombie genre. Not sure why people must prefer one over the other.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:

Last Night On Earth is a game about a small town being overrun by zombies. It's scenario-based, so there's many varieties on how to play. The guy above who says it's terrible then goes on to spout how Zombicide is great...he's uninformed. He did, however, nail the fact that there's a lot of expansions to waste money on. I never bought any. Not missing much.

I take umbrage to your classification of me as "uninformed". It's insulting.

I either own every single game I commented about, or have them on pre-order. So being "uninformed" regarding Zombie games is blatently false.

You may hate Zombicide and love Last Night on Earth. That's your personal preference and you are welcome to it.

I feel the exact opposite in regards to those two games, but at least I do not make negative assumptions and accusations regarding how "informed" you are regarding the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check these threads:

Best zombie-themed game for gamers?

Zombie Games

Need a good zombie game!

BGG recommend me a ZOMBIE GAME

Zombie game recommendations

What the best ZOMBIE BOARDGAME?

Which Zombie Game??

Best Zombie Game?

Best Zombie Game

What are the best Zombie-themed games?

What's the best Zombie game for someone interested in Zombies

Best Zombie theme game...

Zombie-themed game?

Zombie Theme Games

Looking For a New Zombie Game

Zombie/Survival Horror

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
I'm a big fan of the zombie apocalypse and survival horror themes often found in movies and video games. Are there any board games you would recommend that handle this theme?

No, there really aren't any good zombie themed games out there. It's an underrepresented genre, and hopefully someone will release some good games about it in the future. I wish you luck in your search for a good zombie game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Zombie-themed board game: Last Night on Earth or Zombie State

Best Zombie-themed card game: Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck (the Deluxe Survivors Kitis the best version to get in this case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Zombicide and Last Night On Earth, I still think LNOE is a bit better. I just think it's more balanced ,I do like Zombicide too but if I could only have one it would be LNOE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:

You've been inundated with zombie games already so I'll leave those alone except to say that Last Night on Earth is fun, but it does have the theme of mostly avoiding the zombies in all but two of the scenarios in the base game. If you have to repeatedly engage the zombies, you will die. Of course, this is true to the general theme of zombie movies...after all, most people die in those movies.

On the theme of survival horror, you might consider Level 7 [Escape] which sounds like it's right up your alley. You're trying to escape from a facility where you've been imprisoned as a living guinea pig for the government(?) to experiment upon. If you're more interested in the occult/supernatural/haunted house experience, you could try Mansions of Madness. Don't necessarily be scared off by the Cthulhu mythos/Lovecraft theme if that's not your thing. The Lovecraftian elements are nowhere near as pervasive as they are with Arkham Horror.

Finally, if you're into the idea of a traitor type mechanic and you don't mind some comedy in your horror, you might consider Betrayal at House on the Hill which can really be a blast if you enjoy that sort of thing like I do.

(Disclosure: I own all the games mentioned in this post. I don't own zombicide but have heard as mentioned above that it's got more of a video game feel to it than true survival horror.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Zombicide is more like a video game, you blast away at the hoard.

Except it isn't just like that.

Well, it is like a video game, but you don't just blast away at the hoard.

It may look like it, from the outside, but it isn't.

The game is set up in such a way that whilst you are generally forced to kill the zombies, if you choose to just blast away and kill as many zombies as you can, you will become overwhelmed and you will lose the game.

To beat the game, particularly in the harder scenarios, you have to really think about what you're doing and tread a very fine line between killing and not killing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.