Subject: Concept of Minecraft alike boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend joked recently that I can make board game from anything, for example from Minecraft.
So, I decide to spend some time on this and came up with a concept. But I don't know is it worth to work on. it interesting for players? I mean sandbox type of adventure boardgames.

Here is a mind map. All details are below.

I recreate basic ideas of Minecraft – you survive, gather resources, make better equipment and fight an Ender dragon.
This game can be cooperative, semi-cooperative and competitive.

Steve
Player has limited amount of actions, unlimited inventory, exp bar, hunger bar and health bar.
Player spends his actions on Movement, Craft, Build and Fight.
After player spent several his actions, his hunger bar reduces and he lost ability to regenerate health.

Movement
During movement player can move 1 hex. (Or more if I decide to include terrain cost.)
When new hex is revealed, player rolls a die and place animals on that tile, if rolled any.
Also, on a tile can be found Resource Points – places, where player can always obtains specific resource, Resource Units – 1 unit of specific resource.
If player finds a structure, he can spend 1 action to visit it. He can trade with villager in village, fight monsters and gather loot in pyramids, use caves as entry points for Underworld exploring.

Crafting and Building
In order to craft anything player should have required resources in his inventory and/or stands on a tile with requires resource points. Sometimes it also need Furnace, Workbench, Brewing Stand and so on.
Also player may build structures. Sadly, I can't reproduce in-game freedom, so player can build only limited amount of abstracted structures.
Shelter – small safe-house for one night with minimum of utilities.
House – main structure with everything, that player needs.
Farm – place for breeding animals and growing vegetables.
Shaft – alternative for Underworld exploring. Safer, but destroys wood and/or stone resource point.
Railroad – the only thing that requires redstone and allows to move faster.
Nether Portal – portal to travel in the Nether that can be opened in House or in a hex.
And different structures required different number of actions to finish them.

Underworld exploring

Entire thing with exploring caves and searching ores I replaced with Underworld exploring. Player goes through the Underworld Deck, mines ore, fights monster and pillages dungeons until he run out of torches. To do so, player needs an entry point - a cave. If he reached certain cards limit he has explored this hex and further exploring will lead him on a random adjacent hex.
Shaft is a safer way to obtain ore. There is still small chance to stumble into a cave or dungeon but in general player spends tools and roll for an ore appearing.

Combat and Night
When all players complete their action, the night comes. Each player, who ends his action on a hex have to draw cards from Monsters Deck and fights monsters or flees.
Combat is dice based and some sort of minigame – reach skeleton before he hit you, evade creeper explosion, react on enderman attack and so on.
Monsters drops different loot that disappears in a morning.

The Nether

Player can build a Nether portal. The Nether represented by different board with different hexes. There is no night and day and player can't perform Underworld exploring. In the Nether player moves normally, but when he opens new portal, distance between them in normal world be larger and is counted in subhexes, not hexes.

The Ender dragon

When player finds Stronghold he can explore it. Player draw cards from Stronghold Deck until he finds Ender Portal. Unlike the Nether Portal this portal is one way and must be activated with Ender pearls which drops from Endermans With this portal player travels to End, where he can fight Ender dragon and win the game.

So...? blush

Thousands apologies for any mistakes or typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Re: Concept of Minecraft Boardgame -
Try Lego ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait you are going to play a game based on minecraft on hexagonsninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steinsland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
munio wrote:

Yeah, a Minecraft Boardgame could work, and could very well be good or great, but you should probably base it on squares, because... well squares is kind of almost the point of Minecraft Otherwise, seems cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steingraber
United States
Manawa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if I was in the mood to play Minecraft I'd just play Minecraft; but I could see it appealing to other people. As far as if it's worth it to work on that depends on if you think it's worth it to work on, if nothing else it's an interesting design challenge and you have some pretty solid basic mechanics down already. There would obviously be copyright issues if you wanted to publish this game so I'm assuming you'd do it for the joy of designing and not the hope of publishing.

Personal curiosity:
What program/icon set did you use to create the image you've included?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
munio wrote:

Masteinsland wrote:
...but you should probably base it on squares, because... well squares is kind of almost the point of Minecraft Otherwise, seems cool

Sure squares are important, but since I abstract movements this is just a question of segmentation. And squares is usually followed by diagonal move problem. Also in Minecraft itself movements based on XYZ, not on square grid.

Karmancer wrote:
There would obviously be copyright issues if you wanted to publish this game so I'm assuming you'd do it for the joy of designing and not the hope of publishing.

There are thousandths of Minecraft clones, so small adjustments in a theme would be enough. Beside I thought to shift theme toward a steampunk with magic elements.
Actually I more concern about demand for sandbox boardgames. I mean is it interesting for players?

Karmancer wrote:
Personal curiosity:
What program/icon set did you use to create the image you've included?

Inkscape. Open source SVG graphics editor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silencewalker wrote:
munio wrote:

Masteinsland wrote:
...but you should probably base it on squares, because... well squares is kind of almost the point of Minecraft Otherwise, seems cool

Sure squares are important, but since I abstract movements this is just a question of segmentation. And squares is usually followed by diagonal move problem. Also in Minecraft itself movements based on XYZ, not on square grid.

Don't be so quick to dismiss these people's comments. The core essence of Minecraft is cubes. Anything based on the game should involve that aesthetic. It doesn't make sense to make a boardgame that recreates Minecraft and not use square pieces on a grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the aversion to hexagons.
Voxels have six faces, hexagons have six sides...it seems almost fitting for them to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with the hexes. Since you'd be rethemeing it a bit anyway, people won't have that automatic 'It's Minecraft so it has to be cubes!' thought when they play it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:

I think you'll find that 99% of BGG users agree with you. That's because we are all gamers. We are used to hexes and understand their uses. But when creating a game based on a license, the first thing you should do is define what the important parts of that license are and then make sure to include those into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Voxels have six faces, hexagons have six sides...it seems almost fitting for them to be used.

I totally agree with this.

Hexagons are a way to expand the "dimensionality" of a normal "flat" board game. You're transferring a 3D game into a 2D world -- hexes seem very fitting.

BTW, this concept sounds really cool! I'd be very interested to see how well it could create that "sandbox" feel without deluging the player in tables and rules. Definitely a challenge in balance, but I'd be interested in seeing where you take it.

Nice job so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
metzgerism wrote:

I think you'll find that 99% of BGG users agree with you. That's because we are all gamers. We are used to hexes and understand their uses. But when creating a game based on a license, the first thing you should do is define what the important parts of that license are and then make sure to include those into the game.

That might actually be an argument to not use blocks. Unless he wants to actually sell the game as MineCraft: The Boardgame! he'll have an easier time divorcing himself from that IP by moving to Hexes and just keeping the overall Mine/Craft/Adventure aspects as the core inspiration.

Or you go full-blown Minecraft with Blocks and see if Mojang would be interested in a licensing deal. They might, since they're pretty cool with Minecraft stuff in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
That might actually be an argument to not use blocks. Unless he wants to actually sell the game as MineCraft: The Boardgame! he'll have an easier time divorcing himself from that IP by moving to Hexes and just keeping the overall Mine/Craft/Adventure aspects as the core inspiration.

Or you go full-blown Minecraft with Blocks and see if Mojang would be interested in a licensing deal. They might, since they're pretty cool with Minecraft stuff in general.

This is a good point. I've been coming at this with the thought that he's creating a Minecraft game. But if his goal is to create a sandbox-style building game that is not based on Minecraft, then hexes would be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gia Neb
msg tools
Hello Maxim Steshenko,

Your game idea is awesome.
Perhaps you can help me.

I am a mother of 4 young adult sons, all avid gamers, both online and otherwise.

Although I am an artist, and NOT a gamer, when my boys introduced me to Minecaft I was hooked. I love the creativity inherent in the game!

SO ... the artist in me wants to create a Minecraft boardgame that will inspire my boys (and satisfy the mother in me). Grin.

As I am not a gamer, I needed help, so I went online to see what has been done so far towards a Minecraft table game. I found lots: remakes of traditional games, young children's birthday party games, card games, and so on.

But there was nothing that looked right for me...UNTIL I came upon your idea, Maxim. I LOVED IT.

I loved the simple rules and the idea that the game pieces are laid as the game is played. I plan to have enough blocks made so that young players can find real blocks painted with ore, but your idea that each tile had its own resources and structure icons on them would be great for a 1-layer world strategy game.

I loved the idea that the structures could be visited and that there would be different actions linked to the different structures.

I loved the little blocks and sticks that could be placed on each tile to symbolize various structures.

I loved the altered movement done in the Nether.

Maxim, I hope you have gone beyond the preliminary information you already posted and would be willing to share your further ideas with me:

Specifically,

-Is the player's choice to Move, Craft, or Build his own or dependent upon the roll of dice?
-What actions and resources are required to complete the various structures?
-What is written on the Underworld Deck, Stronghold Deck, Enchantments Deck, and Monsters Deck?
-How can a player "stumble into a cave or dungeon" when in a Shaft?
-What are the specific rules for the combat "minigames"?
-What does the fight with the Ender dragon involve?
-If you have any other game information I would really appreciate hearing about it. "Good job!" Maxim! as Hancock would say. Grin.

I think your game plan would work wonderfully for the game I am attempting to design. (As my woodworking husband says cutting hexagons from wood is too difficult, I will be using square blocks. I thought the square Nether tiles could be broken up into quarters instead of the six spaces of each Nether hex tile.)

Here are my ideas:

1. Wood blocks painted to look like Minecraft blocks, mobs, tokens, etc.

2. Blocks, etc, suitable for:
-small children to use as toys
-older children to use build a multi-level 3D world where they can play a simple game of building and collecting resources
-teens and adults to use to create a 1-level base world for a more complex game of strategy

3. Uncomplicated rules (so players don't have to spend a day just learning them)

4. Gameplay, which can use a variety and dice and cards, but which goes BEYOND simple chance to something that requires strategy and thought; where the finish line is not a matter of chance and the right dice roll, but more a matter of skill

5. A game where it is obvious just by looking at the gameboard how the players are faring

6. A game where tools, weapons, and armor are able to be enhanced from their original condition

5. A game that can be multiplayer

Gia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gia Neb
msg tools

Here is a sketch of how I could use the blocks for two different games.
The top game using the blocks as they are used in Minecraft.
The bottom game using the blocks with your game idea as a starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gia Neb
msg tools
I wasn't sure if your plan included adding the tiles as the game proceeds or if you had meant them to be all laid out before the game started. And if you added them as they went along, if they were upside down so the choice was random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giagia wrote:
-Is the player's choice to Move, Craft, or Build his own or dependent upon the roll of dice?

Of course not! Player is able to spend his day and night time on various things. He can dig a little then explore tiles and then build a farm.

giagia wrote:
-What actions and resources are required to complete the various structures?

Since in Minecraft player can carry entire mountain in his pocket, I reduced all expenses. So, in order to build something player needs only time and several resources like 2 stone cubes, 1 wooden cube and 1 redstone cube.

giagia wrote:
-What is written on the Underworld Deck, Stronghold Deck, Enchantments Deck, and Monsters Deck?

Recently I realised that Enchantment and Monster deck are unnecessary here. Player should draw from Underworld deck when goes underground, and from Stronghold deck when explores this place. The rest is static information that can be represented as tables. Maybe there will be one more Event deck for night/unexpected events.

giagia wrote:
-How can a player "stumble into a cave or dungeon" when in a Shaft?

When player digs a Shaft he draws a Underworld card to determine amount of resources that he gets. And special symbol indicates situation when a shaft leadы player into a natural cave or dungeon. In this case player can't dig further until he isolates his shaft because it's all about a "safe" way to mine resources.

giagia wrote:
-What are the specific rules for the combat "minigames"?

Since every mob in Minecraft is unique there is no point in unified combat mechanic. So instead player may choose an approach to each mob. For example if player meet Creeper, he can run away, fight it and get his drop or provoke him to explode.

giagia wrote:
-What does the fight with the Ender dragon involve?

I thought about some sort of puzzle, but I'm not sure about it. Basically this fight is the main motivation for a player to collect resources and to make good gear. But I don't want to make it like bigger version of common combat "minigame".

giagia wrote:
If you have any other game information I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Sadly, all I have are few scraps. I abandoned this project mainly because it's damn hard to make a sandbox boardgame - usually players need motivation to develop progress and situation for endgame. Also, key element of Minecraft is ability to create your own structures and redstone mechanism. It's impossible to recreate this element in a boardgame unless you are making game around it.
But recently I've playtested a game similar to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and I see a way to make a game described in the first post. It won't be about Minecraft, but it can be rethemed in it. I promised to make a game about brutal dwarfs.(

giagia wrote:
my woodworking husband says cutting hexagons from wood is too difficult, I will be using square blocks.

Squares will decrease movement freedom dramatically. But you can place them with offset, like hexes.

giagia wrote:
I wasn't sure if your plan included adding the tiles as the game proceeds or if you had meant them to be all laid out before the game started

World should be built as players explore it. I think there is a way to implement diamond square algorithm to make it even more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.