Quebec
msg tools
Hi.

I'm looking for people's thoughts on the replay ability of the following games

1 - Thurn and Taxis
2 - Glenn More
3 - castles of Burgandy
4 - Europe airlines

We mainly enjoy Argicola. So ideally a game where strategies can be changed on the fly is what we'd like. I'll take other suggestions as well!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the other three, but The Castles of Burgundy has a lot of randomized bits, as well as different starting "maps" that keep the game interesting for many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis is all pretty much doing the same thing, every game, but some how it survives being replayable for all that. But there is a lot less to it than Agricola. Also, you start one route, finish it, then get your next route -- so there isn't much of a making a strategy at all in there, so changing it really isn't the issue. But it is one of the most replayable games I own, for all that. When I want a light game, this is one of the ones I want.

Castles of Burgundy and Glen More I haven't played enough to know how replayable it is -- if you are only playing it once every six weeks or so pretty much anything stands up to that. I don't own either.

Airlines Europe I found so horrible that I never wanted to play it even a second time, but the people in the gaming society who did say that they got bored of it pretty quick -- after 4 or 5 plays -- and it hasn't been played since early summer as far as I know.

None of these are the first thing that come to my mind when somebody says they want a game where there are multiple paths to victory and you can change your strategy in the middle of the game -- though neither is Agricola. There are multiple paths to victory, sure, but once you have your Occupation cards then exactly what sort of victory you are aiming for is pretty well set for you. For change in the middle -- or what you should be doing is what other people aren't doing -- I would be looking at Trajan, Village, and Homesteaders if you like worker placement games, Steam if you wanted a train route building game and Navegador if you wanted something that was 'neither of those'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danger Dave wrote:
1 - Thurn and Taxis

Plays a bit like Ticket to Ride, sort of. I would say it's re-playable , but light compared to Agricola.

Danger Dave wrote:
2 - Glenn More

Very re-playable, lovely game, has a lot of variation in each game and a cool little turn track mechanic. Also a bit lighter than Agricola.

Danger Dave wrote:
3 - castles of Burgandy

Like Glenn More this has a lot of variation, plus dice and different strategies and routes to victory. This is the best of the games on this list in that regard, that I have played. It is brain burning like Agricola, but less stressful, no family to feed.

Danger Dave wrote:
4 - Europe airlines

I have not played this game, but have heard good things about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Castles of Burgundy is #1 on your list, and Glen More is second. We played Glen More a bit but sold it when we discovered Walnut Grove (another option for your list).

Thurn and Taxis is enjoyable but I wouldn't say it's replayable in the same way that Agricola is, offering different strategies, and ones that you can change on the fly.

Have not played Airlines Europe yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Gatineau
Quebec
msg tools
Sounds to me like glen more or castles of burgundy will be a good choice. We don't play that often maybe 2 a month. I'm just hoping its a game when we finish well want to play again right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. For replayable I was thinking more along the lines of a few times a month, or even once a week, not 'all night long'.

For that list:

Navegador
7 Wonders -- some people only want to play this one at all if they are guaranteed to play it at least twice, and 3 times is better
Seasons
Innovation
Container
Steam
Dominion
Mr. Jack
Eclipse

This isn't to say that everybody at the gaming society wants to play all of these games all night long -- just that there are some people who want to play these games over and over again. Lords of Waterdeep was may be in this list as well -- some of us are completely sick of this game, but I suspect there are still some left who would be happy to play it all evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.