Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

At Essen Spiel we received a large number of copies of the four promo cards for Snowdonia - plenty, I thought, for everyone who took the time to pre-order / come and see us.

Most of the shops that took games from us at the Spiel were also able to get some of these cards but, it seems, gremlins have been causing mischief and, as has been remarked upon in various forums, the availability of these cards has dwindled eg. at Surprised Stare Games, we only have a few copies left of Little Jimmy and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

We're making a PDF of the cards (fronts and backs) available on our website in the next few days; please feel free to download, print off and sleeve as you see fit (you will need Agricola-sized sleeves for preference - they're what I used in play-testing) and I hope that this will tie you all over until we can find out what's happened to the 'real thing':

http://www.surprisedstaregames.co.uk/Snowdonia/index.htm

Best wishes,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the real deal -

Lookout Games still has some complete sets of the 2012 promo cards (Agricola, Snowdonia, Le Havre) for sale (€5+postage).
Contact Yvonne (buero@lookout-games.de).

Edit: The pack contains those cards:
Agricola
L05 (DE,EN)
L38 (DE,EN)
L39 (DE,EN)
Legendary26 (DE,EN)
NL104 (DE)
FL061 (DE)
L40 (DE)
L41 (EN)
L42 (DE,EN)

Le Havre
GH33 (DE,EN)

Snowdonia
Llanfairpwllgwyn... (EN)
[H] Action space (EN)
Jimmy (EN,DE,IT)
Ivor (EN,DE,IT)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
If you want the real deal -

Lookout Games still has some complete sets of the 2012 promo cards (Agricola, Snowdonia, Le Havre) for sale (€5+postage).
Contact Yvonne (buero@lookout-games.de).

Edit: The pack contains those cards:
Agricola
L05 (DE,EN)
L38 (DE,EN)
L39 (DE,EN)
Legendary26 (DE,EN)
NL104 (DE)
FL061 (DE)
L40 (DE)
L41 (EN)
L42 (DE,EN)

Le Havre
GH33 (DE,EN)

Snowdonia
Llanfairpwllgwyn... (EN)
[H] Action space (EN)
Jimmy (EN,DE,IT)
Ivor (EN,DE,IT)

Why should I have to pay for the Snowdonia cards that I should have received for free with my pre-order from Funagain if Lookout has extra copies? It seems to me that they should go to those of us that pre-ordered first (since that was supposed to be the deal) before any extras are sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
Why should I have to pay for the Snowdonia cards that I should have received for free with my pre-order from Funagain...

Because it seems to be 'in' to bring out some cards which are declared as 'promo' in the first moment which afterwards will be sold for an extraordinary price because all geeks who cannot participate in the first place are keen about getting them...

A long time I was against such a business but now I will rather buy them on ebay... it's cheaper for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you anticipate having the Snowdonia promo cards available for sale in the BGG Store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I hope that they will be made available through the BGG store. I too pre-ordered from Funagain in hopes of getting the promos. I'm disappointed to say the least, since I will have pay extra for something I thought was going to included for those who pre-ordered. And why should I have pay 5€ and postage? (I see a spectulator has them available for 12.50 euro.)Make them available through BGG for $5 and I will be satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
I hope that they will be made available through the BGG store. I too pre-ordered from Funagain in hopes of getting the promos. I'm disappointed today the least, since I will have pay extra for something I thought was going to included for those who pre-ordered. And why should I have pay 5€ and postage? MAke them available through BGG for $5 and I will be satisfied.

I'm still not sure why the the extras can't be from Lookout and sent to those of us that pre-ordered from Funagain. This wasn't our fault, so why should we have to pay any extra for something that was supposed to have been included from the beginning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
Palladin wrote:
I hope that they will be made available through the BGG store. I too pre-ordered from Funagain in hopes of getting the promos. I'm disappointed today the least, since I will have pay extra for something I thought was going to included for those who pre-ordered. And why should I have pay 5€ and postage? MAke them available through BGG for $5 and I will be satisfied.

I'm still not sure why the the extras can't be from Lookout and sent to those of us that pre-ordered from Funagain. This wasn't our fault, so why should we have to pay any extra for something that was supposed to have been included from the beginning?

Promos are not items that are supposed to be included in a game from the beginning.
They are premiums that you get IF you buy the game directly from the publisher. As a "thank you" gift, as direct sales give the publishers 5 times the margin in comparison to games sold through distribution.

So please don't mix up between "preorders from the publisher" and "preorders from a game shop". The first may give you some free goodies, the latter one puts you atop a list to get the game.

If promos are given away for free to folks who don't buy at the publisher's booth, there's no incentive any more for direct sales.
And that's why it is absolutely normal and wise to put a price tag on promos for non-direct sales, to get at least a little better margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
While I appreciate the explanation, in this U.S. customers had to or were encouraged to preorder from Funagain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:
Palladin wrote:

Promos are not items that are supposed to be included in a game from the beginning.
They are premiums that you get IF you buy the game directly from the publisher. As a "thank you" gift, as direct sales give the publishers 5 times the margin in comparison to games sold through distribution.

So please don't mix up between "preorders from the publisher" and "preorders from a game shop". The first may give you some free goodies, the latter one puts you atop a list to get the game.

If promos are given away for free to folks who don't buy at the publisher's booth, there's no incentive any more for direct sales.
And that's why it is absolutely normal and wise to put a price tag on promos for non-direct sales, to get at least a little better margin.

Palladin wrote:
While I appreciate the explanation, in this U.S. customers had to or were encouraged to preorder from Funagain.

Yep, all pre-orders were supposed to get the promo cards according to this post and the Snowdonia page on the SSG web site:

tonyboydell wrote:
The peaks of Snowdonia rise before you, no longer encased in mist, their summits clearly visible; the highest is Snowdon (Wyddfa) herself at 1,085 metres.

The year is 2012, and after all the BGG designer notes, play-test reports, rules drafts, graphic samples and video run-throughs you will finally be able to pre-order your cop(y/ies) of Snowdonia!

The game weighs approximately 1085g* with an RRP of €40 / £32 / $50 and you can reserve a copy as follows:

- German language edition: Lookout Games (http://lookout-spiele.de)

- For all US orders: funagain.com (http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=026344)

- Italian edition: Uplay.it (http://www.uplay.it) and, of course,

- Surprised Stare Games Ltd for everyone and everywhere else (feedback@surprisedstaregames.co.uk)

We are producing a number of promotional cards for the game, which will be available to those pre-ordering and/or attending Essen Spiel (clue: top left-hand corner of Wales)!

Please remember to let us (Surprised Stare Games) know if you want an Essen pickup or posting (and don't forget the destination!)

*UK Small Packets postage will be circa £6, Europe will be circa £8.50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
It is probably sour grapes, but now that it has been disclosed that one of the promo cards contains an error, I don't feel so bad about missing out. I will hope for a corrected version from the BGG store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is probably sour grapes to complain over 4 cards, it was one of the reasons why I preordered from Funagain was the impression that the promo cards would be included. Hopefully the problem that Tony alluded to in his first post, will be identified and all preorders will still be honored as promised with the real thing and not just a PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also purchased from Funagain after reading the post regarding the promo cards and was quite disappointed to see these missing from my box.

I would suggest that since a promise has been made, and word of mouth is powerful around the game table, that either Funagain or the publisher step up and rectify the situation. Mailing the cards to those who have preordered is a no-brainer.

A disgruntled gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that if you feel disgruntled like I am about this issue that you:

Email them from their website.

Post your disappointment on their Facebook page.

Bad publicity like this will go away quickly if they do the right thing and agree to mail cards to all preorders AS PROMISED!

Ben (please join me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I have had some more information from Funagain re: this issue and Nick has suggested you send their customer services folks an email so they can put a list together. It's not just your Snowdonia promo cards that have gone awry, it seems a number of actual boardgames (NOT Snowdonia, thankfully) also failed to make it across the Atlantic after Essen Spiel.

The email address is: cs_general@funagain.com

From my perspective, there is nothing else I can do at the moment - I have NO supplies of the promo cards left AT ALL; none; zip; nada. I (and SSG) have no access to further supplies (short of commissioning a full print run which I will, reasonably I believe, decline to do).

For your info, the pre-order mechanism through Funagain over the Summer was an attempt to get copies of the game into the U.S at a reasonable price (postage from Europe is extortionate) and in a reasonable time; we always meet up with the Funagain folks at Essen - they're cool guys, you know.

If you feel that this STILL isn't good enough then, I'm afraid, there is nothing else I can do to prevent you from implementing the measures/response you have suggested/threatened.

I am saddened to see that something set up to be a fun aside to a game I am (still) genuinely excited about has provoked what I see as a disproportionate reaction. As I said in a recent email, I shall NOT be dipping my toe in promo waters again - they serve only as a massive distraction away from the one thing that should be paramount in all of this: the game itself.

Best wishes, as always.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"From my perspective, there is nothing else I can do at the moment - I have NO supplies of the promo cards left AT ALL; none; zip; nada. I (and SSG) have no access to further supplies (short of commissioning a full print run which I will, reasonably I believe, decline to do)."

Perhaps your office has a color printer onto cardboard stock and then mailing to us to cut out? . Seems reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwax123 wrote:
"From my perspective, there is nothing else I can do at the moment - I have NO supplies of the promo cards left AT ALL; none; zip; nada. I (and SSG) have no access to further supplies (short of commissioning a full print run which I will, reasonably I believe, decline to do)."

Perhaps your office has a color printer onto cardboard stock and then mailing to us to cut out? . Seems reasonable to me.

Ah, now, you have me mulling. It's hardly different to our print and play stopgap, but...

I don't have an Office BTW, I have a shed

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony,

Don't worry about my sour grapes. I'm just sad that I'm not getting an upgrade on a game I've been SO excited for.

I'll likely just figure out how to print them.

ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an answer back from Funagain in response to my query:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Yes, the Snowdonia promo cards seem to have gone missing. We haven't been able to find them here in our warehouse. They weren't given to me with the whole batch of stuff that our buyer handed to me. We are wondering if they were lost somewhere along the way when they put the pallets together for shipping or...?

I am making a list of people that need the cards. Once we get it sorted out, we will get them out to you.

Thank you,

--
Stella
Funagain Games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final word from Funagain that I recently received regarding the Snodonia Promo Cards:

cs_general@funagain.com wrote:
They were never found. We finally received the last dribs and drabs from our shipper in Germany and we have decided that they are lost somewhere in their warehouse in Germany.

I will not be ordering anything from Funagain again. Snowdonia is a great game and I have really been enjoying, but I recommend that a different US partner be used in the future (e.g. CoolStuffInc.com).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
Here is the final word from Funagain that I recently received regarding the Snodonia Promo Cards:

They were never found. We finally received the last dribs and drabs from our shipper in Germany and we have decided that they are lost somewhere in their warehouse in Germany.

I will not be ordering anything from Funagain again. Snowdonia is a great game and I have really been enjoying, but I recommend that a different US partner be used in the future (e.g. CoolStuffInc.com).

It happens more easily than you'd think, especially with all of the logistics that go into Essen stuff.

In 2011, all of our Essen promos were lost as well in a warehouse. Thankfully, our shipping partner spent weeks opening every box in their warehouse until they found our stuff, but it's a monumental task to locate stuff like this once it's misplaced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

It happens more easily than you'd think, especially with all of the logistics that go into Essen stuff.

In 2011, all of our Essen promos were lost as well in a warehouse. Thankfully, our shipping partner spent weeks opening every box in their warehouse until they found our stuff, but it's a monumental task to locate stuff like this once it's misplaced!

Thanks for the insight. However, apparently Funagain didn't really seem to care enough to push the issue to have their shipping partner do that. The worst part is that they didn't offer to provide a refund or anything to make up for the missing item. Lesson learned; I will spend my money elsewhere in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey peeps!

I sent the following in raw file format to Funagain just before Christmas - the idea being they would print it out on some photo-quality paper and send it off to those who missed out on the original promos. If you did pre-order, then please send them an email anyway to remind them as I've no idea how far they took it! For everyone else? Well, fill your boots

The train is FREE to build (but you still need to take a Build action and the game must have had the train build event) and comes with three rubble cubes on it. Whenever you take the Surveyor action (ie. go wandering around the mountain), take one of the rubble cubes off. If there is no rubble on it at game end (and you still 'own' it) it's worth 9VP. This DOES count as a train for the purposes of "one train only" and the train upkeep event!

Cheers,
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
Whenever you take the Surveyor action (ie. go wandering around the mountain), take one of the rubble cubes off.

When doing this, does the surveyor also move up the mountain each time as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep -it's an additional thing that happens when YOU take G...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.