Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game but have had my eyes set on DotR as my next purchase for family co-op with a fantasy theme. I can read the rules for both and get a general idea of differences, but has anyone played both that could point out some key differences in gameplay that make one game stand out from the other? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
Germany
Kassel
Deutschland/UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I wanted to play with my family I would definitely go for Legends of Andor.

Legends of Andor is more on the narrative side than DotR and you actually try to avoid battles as it speeds up the game (you only have a limited number of turns to complete a scenario), which I find a nice idea as it takes the focus away from the good old hack'in and slash'in.

Anodor-Games tend to be shorter (around 1h) and also simpler affairs. DotR is definitely more involved in terms of complexity. In terms of artwort and other desing bits: well you can look at it. DotR is just god awful, from the colour scheme, to the names of the villains, to... well everything basically. Andor absolutely blows DotR out of the water in this regard. In short, Andor is a light, immersive affair which I really enjoy to play if I am in the mood for a pleasant but not too heavy game. I break out DotR if I want to play a coop that has it bit more meat in terms of gameplay and takes a bit longer.

Ah, Andor also has 5 (+1 online) scenarios. Some of them can be played several times without any problems, but I guess after about 15-20 plays you are done with it (barring expansions), no such limit applies to DotR. They are both good games but made for different audiences. Like I said at the beginning, for a family night I wouldn't think twice and pick Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on most points

I'll add: Andor is more accessible, but the difficulty of both is equivalent, imo.

I'm in the 15-20 play range and I'm far from done with it! Realize that scenarios 3 and 5 are the equivalent of a game of DotR: fully replayable and quite challenging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick game, short with full replayable, very simple to play.
Real co-op game with many different approaches.

May be boring with only 4 thematic characters, that can make you feel than you want to try new heroes for some legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I will play devil's advocate. Watched a game of ANDOR, and own DotR.
While playing Andor might convince me otherwise, I still like Defenders a lot. Now, part of it might be my game group. This is also a consideration because as a co-op game, and if you care about all 4 (or however many) people having a good time, an enjoyable experience; then knowing your fellow-gamers is important. We like Defenders.
And I think it is easy to toss around 'god awful' for the board & artwork. However, I believe I have great taste and find the board functional, enjoy all the bad guys running around the board. The colors are bright but that's part of the fun and makes playing easier (can't miss those PINK 'good guy' cards!). AND as the board fills with minions, or as you SEE the Overlords approaching Monarch City, or keep count of the lands being Tainted, there is Real tension to get them stopped somehow, someway! Now, as a big miniatures owner, I have scarfed very cool miniature figures from Other games over to Defenders, so my Red Demon and Black Necromancer and Green Goblin are fully painted larger, more sinister, figures. This adds to the feel.
And also ask, Matt: is 1 hour really what you and the group want? I generally don't like 1 hour games. Not enough emotional attachment; especially given the subject of saving an entire Kingdom! In Defenders I have to balance watching for different threats, with trying to complete a Mission to win a Quest that will make me potentially stronger. I want to WIN the game, but there are subtle player-vs-player exchanges as we play by the rule that if we win, 1 person is the King's Champion... the overall winner. Our games are generally 2 hours, maybe a little longer (or shorter if we lose). Very ideal for us.
My biggest complaint: it can be a challenge to tell between the Black and the Blue on the cards... they should have used a lighter shade of blue.

But overall: this is a very enjoyable experience.
Opinions are a funny thing... after years of watching the boards, I feel that the 'new kid on the block' is given the benefit of the doubt. In the long run, I'll take Defenders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but most people would agree that the colours used in DOTR are plain offensive. Primary and garish colours are not signs of a good graphic designer, in fact the graphic design is appalling. The illustration is kind of retro which makes it campy looking but I don't mind that. Graphic design is not about taste (illustration may be), there are rules to follow that facilitate the intention of the designs brief. DOTR shows that when bad design decisions are made everyone notices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never call Legends of Andor a "quick game", personally. Apart from the simplistic introductory scenario 1, it typically takes us 3-4 hours to play one scenario. That's two players playing two characters each. Maybe we're just super-slow though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.