Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/332454/red-flag-over-...#

Would it be possible that the US could be as blind to strategic possibilities as is implied in this article?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible, but the article doesn't interview anyone from the military nothing can be said for certain. The article is pure speculation and theory by the author. The closest thing to a fact is:

Quote:
There is nothing the Chinese can do if the U.S. stays, but Pentagon budget cutters, according to some observers, are planning to make Lajes a “ghost base.”

and a "ghost base" sounds like the US would still be there but with a reduced staff. As to who 'some observers' are, that's totally speculative too.

As for the author, from Amazon's page.

Quote:
Gordon G. Chang is a lawyer, author, and television pundit, best known for his book The Coming Collapse of China (2001), in which he argued that the hidden non-performing loans of the "Big Four" Chinese State banks would likely bring down China's financial system and its communist government and China would collapse in 2006.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/332454/red-flag-over-...#

Would it be possible that the US could be as blind to strategic possibilities as is implied in this article?

Definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What could America do to stop it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.
If the Porks decide china has made a better offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH JESUS CHRIST THIS IS SO FUCKING STUPID

Seriously. Guys. Portugal is a member of NATO. They're not going to betray their treaty obligations by letting SCAAAAAAAARY CHIIIIIINA into the Atlantic.

More importantly, Lajes is an airbase, not a naval base, and China currently has no Atlantic naval presence to support an air detachment at Lajes Field, which would be kind of important. If China wants an Atlantic military presence (which is questionable because most of their strategic naval needs are, big surprise, in the Indian and Pacific), they could probably spend the same amount of money for a comprehensive air/naval base in one of the dozen or so African countries on the Atlantic coast that are, you know, already their allies anyway.

To sum up: NRO once again reminds us that it is a welfare home for the addled right-wing who couldn't get a real job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

Seriously. Guys. Portugal is a member of NATO. They're not going to betray their treaty obligations by letting SCAAAAAAAARY CHIIIIIINA into the Atlantic.

More importantly, Lajes is an airbase, not a naval base, and China currently has no Atlantic naval presence to support an air detachment at Lajes Field, which would be kind of important. If China wants an Atlantic military presence (which is questionable because most of their strategic naval needs are, big surprise, in the Indian and Pacific), they could probably spend the same amount of money for a comprehensive air/naval base in one of the dozen or so African countries on the Atlantic coast that are, you know, already their allies anyway.

To sum up: NRO once again reminds us that it is a welfare home for the addled right-wing who couldn't get a real job.

But there must be a boggy man to justify high defence spending or all those CEO's of defence contractors won't get fat bonuses next year (not to mention the poor hard done by shareholders).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.

The . . . "porks"? :what:
The Pork and beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.

The Pork and beans.

Keep going . . .
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=tvRp1whVFUsC&pg=PA912&lpg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

Do they not teach history in Ontario anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

I take it you think they will base missiles there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Is this a reference to the Cuban missile crisis? Because cutting the range from China to the US from around 7,000 miles to around 2,300 miles really doesn't change all that much.

Besides, Chris is right. China couldn't keep the base supplied if there was an outbreak of hostilities, Portugal has zero motivation to lease them the base, and I'm honestly not sure what the hell China would want with an Atlantic base in the first place.

If you're going to worry about this, then we should probably be discussing orbital mind control lasers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Does the education system in Quebec not teach the concept of "things change"? Because China was successfully testing long-range truck-mounted ICBMs this year which would effectively give them worldwide nuclear attack capability and which will be ready to go long before any base would get missiles. They don't need to play Cuban Missile Crisis II: Nuclear Boogaloo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Cuban Missile Crisis II: Nuclear Boogaloo.

That has a killer beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Does the education system in Quebec not teach the concept of "things change"? Because China was successfully testing long-range truck-mounted ICBMs this year which would effectively give them worldwide nuclear attack capability and which will be ready to go long before any base would get missiles. They don't need to play Cuban Missile Crisis II: Nuclear Boogaloo.
But it does mean we can have an update of 3rd fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's just a cover to create a secret base...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.

The . . . "porks"?
The Pork and beans.

Keep going . . .

Oh, there's a book on it. Out of curiosity, ever called a portuguese "pork" to his face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.

The . . . "porks"?
The Pork and beans.

Keep going . . .

Oh, there's a book on it. Out of curiosity, ever called a portuguese "pork" to his face?

Nah. I always just call them "Spanish"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:

See, I know you're kidding. You wouldn't live to brag about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Keep the base open.

The Pork and beans.

Keep going . . .

Has any one here on BGG ever called me illiterate to my face? The answer is no (and for the same reason) I (as far as I know) have never met any one who is a pork (does this count?). I see this as no different from Limmey or Yank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
Fwing wrote:

Nah. I always just call them "Spanish" ;)

:D
But I am not?, I am fully aware you are not made of pork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most idiotic "why we must keep our military funding everywhere for everything" reasons I have ever read.

It is written in most inflammatory language imaginable yet without any grasp whatsoever of elementary logistics.

Someone is imagining that China - same China that is trying so very hard (and with highly dubious success) to create conditions in which they can deny US navy the 50mile coastal waters strip of their own Chinese mainland would be able to disrupt Atlantic shipping and flight lanes out of a derelict Portuguese base in Azores ?!?

I suggest USA keeps the base just in case, and while they are at it - US military should buy all the land in all of Portugal just in case the wily Chinese decide to buy it out and build airstrips...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Asur wrote:
Fwing wrote:

1. Being called a pig is much worse than being called a Spanish.
2. Again, would you call a Portuguese "pork" to his face?
3. Quite an excuse, "I am fully aware you are not made of pork". Couldn't you say that with most racist insults?

And no, it's not obvious you're kidding, hence:
Drew1365 wrote:
The . . . "porks"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Asur wrote:
Fwing wrote:

Nah. I always just call them "Spanish" ;)

:D

1. Being called a pig is much worse than being called a Spanish.
2. Again, would you call a Portuguese "pork" to his face?
3. Quite an excuse, "I am fully aware you are not made of pork". Couldn't you say that with most racist insults?

And no, it's not obvious you're kidding, hence:
Drew1365 wrote:
So it's only obvious kidding if everyone gets the reference?

By the way it's not saying your pigs, it's saying you eat a lot of them. In the same way the British are called Limeies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.