Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I actually haven't played Fleet since the first couple of games shortly after I got it in the mail, but after reading through the forums and thinking about the game I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best way to introduce the game to new players. I ask because a) the opening moves of Fleet are critical to establishing a strong position, and b) when I've taught the game I've noticed it takes a few turns for people to wrap their head around the gameplay and how best to use their hands for money, boats, etc., and by that time the game has pretty much been decided. How do you ease new players into the game without laying out what their strategy should be point by point? I want to make sure people have fun their first time through so they will be more inclined to play in the future, but it seems that the best parts of the game really only emerge after you've played the game a few times.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try and make sure they realize the bonuses they receive on their Licenses. New players (in my experience) tend to think that launching boats is the most important thing to do but it's really about taking advantage of the bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I don't like in this game is a bad move early, can cripple you to the point where you are out of the game for the rest of the time. This might go into my next auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See I love it. You do have to be careful early, but after 7 games I feel that I ave a good feeling or it now. In my last game I was behind early, but I was able to catch up and win. I have to do a review of the game.

Introduce it with the base cards. Do not use any promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if anyone has tried any setup variants... for example, with four players shuffle a Shrimp, Lobster, Cod, Tuna and pass them out... each player pays the min bid amount for it and play continues as if that was the auction phase for the first round?

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The thing I don't like in this game is a bad move early, can cripple you to the point where you are out of the game for the rest of the time. This might go into my next auction.

At least you know that early moves can cripple you, so there is the potential to avoid those moves. And, the game is also short enough that you usually don't suffer too long.

I understand, though, that this can be a deal breaker for some players. My wife gets very frustrated if she makes a mistake early, so our choice then is to play it out while she's not happy, or just to stop and reset (a forfeit, so to speak).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play 3 or so turns through base-game only, so player can see how some licenses work and how the bidding can be a bit tight in the beginning, then reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet is a quick enough game that you can play a 'learning game' and then a real game. Once through should be sufficient to see the synergies of licenses. The other big mistake is overpaying for licenses-an overbid of 1 (e.g. 6 for a lobster) may be justified, but in general, 'pass' is a viable option or taking any license at face value and NOT getting a first turn King Crab or Fisherman's Pub should be viable. The 'one of each boat' initial hand ensures that you can buy any one license at face value and launch. So there is no reason for a 'dead turn'. The high end licenses WON'T come up the first turn, doubly ensuring a reasonable start for all players.

--> n00bs discourage 'overbids' would be the best recipe for a good learning game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inform them that they should by no means buy a Fisherman's Pub or King Crab unless it is the end of the game or they feel confident they will win.

As this game tends to abide by "the rich get richer", if someone is unaware what the cards do and how they work, it is easy for even a person with 1 play through under their belt to decimate a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.