Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taught a couple guys at work Seasons yesterday. Since I've observed the Thieving Faeries and Arcano Leech being massively power in the games I'd played previously, I figured this time I'd teach them to play just using the first 30x2 cards (i.e. the Intermediate rules).

I was actually really surprised, then, after counting up my score at the end to find I'd gotten 254, blowing my previous best of 208 out of the water.

I'm kind of curious now whether that score owes more to my not pursuing the familiar* strategy I usually go for, or if the cards in the intermediate set perhaps have a higher 'point density' than the remainder.

On the one hand, I got out some really powerful cards. I powered out a free... cube thing (the one worth 30 points at a cost of 20 crystals), had 2 divine chalices (and got to replay 1), and got two of those magic items that give you an extra 20 points for having most cards, which I did.

On the other hand, both of the other players had scores closer in range, perhaps even a bit lower, than I usually see. I don't remember exactly, but on the order of something like 120 and 150. Granted, this was both of their first times, but they also didn't really do anything especially poorly (other than passing me two Divine Chalices...)

Any thoughts?

*pun not intended, but appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think strategy mostly with a little because of the cards. Reducing the card pool increases the likelyhood of getting specific cards. However, looking at your plays (2x divine chalace, a free runic cube and an extra 40 for having the most cards) coupled with playing against new players, it doesn't seem too unlikely to score that much. I've seen comparable scores with all cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main issue here was the difference in player experience. Getting passed 2 Divine Chalices is no laughing matter. And then 2 Ragfield's Helm's went perfectly with the Chalices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.