Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question, when the game ships to Europe, where will it be shipped from? the US? or from an European distributor?

I ask as if it is coming from the US I imagine most of the European backers will get stung for import duty etc on top of the $35 shipping cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They've talked about using a courier and the associated cost for postage and insurance. I take that to mean it's all from the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mux uhu
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far Kickstarter rejects my subscription as a non US resident.
It does not seem to work from the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah shoddy launch tbh. i know people have said they're us based to be able to buy it, but that probably has inherant problems all of it's own!!
hopefully they'll open it up to the rest of the world at some point when they realise, after all they're posting the courier charges!!
still waiting to see what Valley Games being sued does to affect the liklihood of this game happening though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried backing the project yet so I'm not sure about the troubles for those outside the US actually paying for anything, but it is odd if you're advertising the shipping charges.

The whole Valley Games being sued thing certainly does make you want to tread carefully. I don't really know what to make of it all in my opinion. I have no idea how US law works. I'm not saying what they did is right, or whatever, however they managed to produce D-Day Dice successfully whilst this has been going on. Why should Up Front be any different?

For me as a potential backer the 'where it is shipped from' thing will be a deciding factor. The import duty (and I imagine this will be similar across Europe) will be a rather large sum if it is from the US and you can count me out.

I backed Glory to Rome and at the end of it all it was shipped to the UK from China via Amsterdam and finally Germany and didn't incur any duty. It was probably below the UK threshold anyway, but that doesn't matter it was from within the EU.

To be honest, and I'm answering my own question here, I'll probably hold off and get it from a UK retailer when it's available. It WILL be cheaper, I won't have to worry about import duty, or indeed significant shipping costs. Up Front WILL make its funding target, and then some. Patience is probably the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the uk threshold is stunningly low - and you must remember it's not jus the cost of the goods, they add the postage in!
i'm sure it's £18 (which is around $27) which isn't a lot..
and yes, i would love to back this as i'm sounds like we're going to end up with a lot of nations, though i do hope each nation will come with a couple of scenarios? but if we're looking at around $160 for the base game with all nationalities and shipping, that's just over £100.. so we'll get £8 for the customs simply to look at the box and then VAT - which will be £20.. so £128.. at a minimum, i did order AIYP on line for life, so once i recieve that perhaps my worries will be assuaged slightly..
there's 45 days to go yet, so plenty of time to sit and watch haha..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone help me with my math, because surely I must be missing something? It seems to me that it's prohibitively expensive for a non-US person to pledge for the "full" content level, i.e. $125 / M/SGT...

The KS page has this to say about pledging outside the US:

Quote:
How do I pledge if I don't live in the US?

Yes, if you don't live in the US you can still pledge. Simply add the shipping costs to your pledge as follows;

Canada - $10 shipping for first complete tier and $5 for each additional complete tier.

Europe - $35 shipping for first complete tier and $20 for each additional complete tier.

International (other than Europe) - $45 shipping for first complete tier and $25 for each additional complete tier.
Last updated: Tuesday Nov 20, 3:52pm EST

So if I am reading this correctly, in Europe, I would be paying $125 (for the game and its expansions themselves) plus $35 shipping plus another $20 shipping per "additional complete tier" - that is, $20 times 5, as the additional tiers from PVT are PFC, CPL, SGT, S/SGT and M/SGT, or one per expansion. Provided there are no additional $20 charges for the stretch goals.

As such, someone pledging from Europe would pay $135 in shipping alone, more than for the actual game. Surely Valley Games can't be expecting people to shell out $255+ just for a complete copy?

For a quick comparison, the KS lists the game plus all expansions as over 1300 cards; Dominion comes with 500 cards. According to their shipping calculator, 3 copies of Dominion, three big boxes with a total of 1500 cards, will be shipped to Germany from Cool Stuff Inc for $61.60, or under half of what Valley Games charges.

Surely something must be wrong with my math?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lady Solitas wrote:
So if I am reading this correctly, in Europe, I would be paying $125 (for the game and its expansions themselves) plus $35 shipping plus another $20 shipping per "additional complete tier" - that is, $20 times 5, as the additional tiers from PVT are PFC, CPL, SGT, S/SGT and M/SGT, or one per expansion.

You are not quite reading this correctly. Each of those PVT, PFC, CPL, SGT, S/SGT and M/SGT are a single complete tier. Ordering one set would have $35 shipping to Europe. If you order multiple tiers (ie more than one copy of the game), then the additional shipping per tier applies:

If you want one copy of M/SGT, you pay $125 + $35 shipping.
If you want TWO copies of M/SGT, you pay 2 x $125 + ($35 + $20) Shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Sounds a lot more sane now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to ask this again to see if we can get an official answer, will the game be shipped to European customers directly from the US?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.