Subject: Epic Arkham Horror Match rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the week I have been setting up for an over-sized and challenging battle to save Arkham. During the past six months I have been getting mildly frustrated with my favourite game as I can almost never get anyone to play for all my friend find the game overwhelming. So I figured a big hoorah by myself would be a great time before I put the game away and maybe even consider selling it.

The Circumstances:
8 Expansions
3 Heralds [Dunwich, Mother H., Coming Chaos]; yes, monster heavy
10 Characters [0 is the outskirts limit]
1 Institution [FBI; never played it with it before]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I absolutely love this game, as evidenced by the creation of our Crafthulhu Card Holders and I too play with all of the expansions...but 3 Heralds and 10 Investigators! Yikes, that's a lot to handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
So I figured a big hoorah by myself would be a great time before I put the game away and maybe even consider selling it.

It's worth keeping, even if you only play it solo - but try 4 investigators & 1 Herald.

At least give yourself the possibility of victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Mike, Mother H or Father D? Or something happened in between?
Anyway, seems like a great game ready to start! Just a curiosity: when you say you're playing with the Coming Chaos, do you intend my custom creation? In case, I'd love to hear some feedback after the game, if you don't mind (here or via GeekMail, as you wish)
Thx! And happy gaming!

JULIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe and Nick, I agree it is a lot to handle but I am up for it. My friend convinced me to track my games for the year for nickels and dimes so I did but took it one step further: here is my #3:

34 - Arkham Horror (16-18), which I feel is a decent win-loss for the year.
nickbolton wrote:
It's worth keeping, even if you only play it solo
I am not entirely convinced on this matter. When my friends started getting into board games, I thought the modern games would be a fantastic way to socialize but I have played this game solo way more times that I have with anyone. Instead of playing a board game by myself, I could read a book with some wine, watch a film with some wine, or perhaps even enjoy some certain media starring women... with some wine.
- - -
Juliet, I was referring earlier to Mother Hydra and have now corrected my mistake. As for your custom herald, this will be my third or fourth game in a row with it as a herald; I typically play with two and have changed the chaos's companion each time. I have a house rule where the number of characters you pick from = number of heralds +1

I am quite pleased that I get to use my mask monsters which do not come up very often at all. I do not find the herald all the challenging as throughout the first three games, I only got two mask monsters in the first two-thirds of the games. That was a mouthful! I disposed of the masks- once just using a time-bomb- but when one would come near the end of the game, I ignore it like one would the rift track in Kingsport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Uh, that's an interesting house rule devil

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering it could not have such a big impact on the game. I guess it depends heavily on your gaming style (how quick you are at beating the game, for instance). Technically, as you pointed out, Masks can be a mental trap, especially when the end of the game is near. By chance, have you tried it together with some of Rovdjuret Nyarly Heralds?

JULIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this match on Sunday and won. There were so many times where it could have spiralled down hill fast: Ten monsters every surge, ouch! The monster limit was reached immediately. Luckily I only had three surges. The game itself lasted twelve turns, give or take one. I put a bit of it in the Sessions Forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Gonna get a look right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Gonna get a look right now!
I also put up two pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.