Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I recently bought The Great Zimbabwe, and as an afterthought I got interested in Duck Dealer... I got interested so much that I tried to see what alternate design I could do. I love the quirky theme and setup so I tried to keep that as close as the original as possible, while improving legibility and playability. After a few sputtery beginnings, here is the result of my (quick) work :

The Map

I began with quite a big map, but shrank it down little by little because I realized it wasn't quite as necessary. I'm now back down to a 24"x16 map. I chose to drop the winding score track and added a way to count more than hundred scores, with an additional cube on the first line of the score track. The space gained I'm using to place the factories at the game setup.

The playersheets

Since I didn't have wooden discs handy I made basic square counters to put on the ship sheets; we ended loving it and it's part of the redesign now.
I may do an illustrated side for use as a crew quarters and a plain colored side for use as energy tokens.

One thing that took a lot of time is the Industrial 'tree' on the player sheet. I wanted to
1) remove the double reference to blue paint
2) mesh in the 10-pt intermediate goods more cleanly

After a few tries I realized that 1) couldn't be achieved while improving legibility; I think that point 2) works

Another informational change is that I changed how the speed numbers work on the player sheet: now, your ship has the speed of the highest number visible.

The goods counters

One of the goods I took the liberty of changing... Linear accelerator was just un-paintable meaningfully (for me)

A few consumer/mine/shipyard/factories tiles in situation

and I'll probably do a mold of this:

The ship is about 1" (25mm) long, and the base is 10mm square. the final standee will probably be pyramidal in shape so as to help balance the ship.

Note: Jeroen Doumen approved of this redesign, and allowed me to upload it to BGG when complete, which I intend to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff! I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Very whimsical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
John Rogers wrote:
Very whimsical. :)

Yeah, the table talk is quite funny: "Ok, so I go there and use my rubber ducks and phone booths to make 2 radios..."
Great game, and quite quick. Brain burner though.

For all people who are interested, whether you will DIY or not, it is now sold 25€+shipping on Splotter's site. It is great value, though mostly for EU buyers I expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your redesign, and the game as well, pretty much underestimated IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The map was tweaked a little bit to improve contrast and the like

... And here's a draft of a box front (background will be re-painted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember liking this game a few years ago, but it never caught on with my group. I think the biggest issue was the product tree was unintuitive. Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills. You would think in an otherwise streamlined game this little bit of whimsy wouldn't be too distracting, but that was unforunately the case. It made it harder to visualize the action turns when you had to constantly check the upgrade chart. Although this redesign doesn't fix that issue for me, I do quite like the improved map. Glad to see you got publisher permission to upload your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
HannibalUltor wrote:
I remember liking this game a few years ago, but it never caught on with my group. I think the biggest issue was the product tree was unintuitive. Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills. You would think in an otherwise streamlined game this little bit of whimsy wouldn't be too distracting, but that was unforunately the case. It made it harder to visualize the action turns when you had to constantly check the upgrade chart. Although this redesign doesn't fix that issue for me, I do quite like the improved map. Glad to see you got publisher permission to upload your work.

Well I think you could see in each object an allegory/stereotype : actually after a few plays it kind of starts *making sense*... not kidding.

Glad you like the redesign, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
HannibalUltor wrote:
I remember liking this game a few years ago, but it never caught on with my group. I think the biggest issue was the product tree was unintuitive. Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.

I believe the completely random/arbitrary nature of the commodities was a significant factor in the folks I played it with not "getting" the game and not wanting to play it again, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
carthaginian wrote:
Well I think you could see in each object an allegory/stereotype : actually after a few plays it kind of starts *making sense*... not kidding.

Yup. It makes a sort of allegorical/associative sense to me, and humorously so too.

I remember a tech support call a friend had with a non-computer user in which (IIRC) the keyboard became the "typewriter", the system unit became the "microwave", the monitor was a "TV", the various cables were all "ropes", floppy discs were "uncooked records" (LPs), and internally the computer was a monstrous house for a horde of "little men" (dwarf homunculi) who ran about up and down the ropes like sailors, talking to each other so fast and high that you couldn't hear them. Finally he found out that the customer hadn't plugged the computer into the wall power...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree DD is under-rated and I'd be interested in the new board but probably for 25 Euros plus shipping. I may see about a DIY at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
russ wrote:
HannibalUltor wrote:
I remember liking this game a few years ago, but it never caught on with my group. I think the biggest issue was the product tree was unintuitive. Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.

I believe the completely random/arbitrary nature of the commodities was a significant factor in the folks I played it with not "getting" the game and not wanting to play it again, alas.

I propose that the cognitive dissonance between the whimsical nature of the goods and the overly serious imagery is the center of the issue... That's what I'm trying to improve here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
a friend of mine threatened me: he wouldn't print my map if it didn't fit on A3 paper (16x11"); after thinking about it a minute or two it appears that it is feasible, if I print all the tiles to 70% except the goods counters, that need to be printed at 93%. I'd need a different map to accommodate 8mm cubes, so here it is:

The paths do wind a bit more than in the normal-sized map, but the gain in table space is significant.

If someone knows where 7mm wooden cubes in 5 colors can be found, it would even be easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malik CHAKROUN
France
flag msg tools
We tried it on this board, and I have to say I like it very much.
Brain-burner, indeed, but interesting. The product tree is unintuitive, but with a bit of efforts you can begin to remember it by heart...

And there are some funny ideas, like "Rubber Duck + Blue Paint = Stealth Duck" or "Pearls + Blue paint = Diet Pills", but the real story is that you are a merchant dealing in poor value stuff in the first place to buy some more interesting goods at the end, so no need to trouble yourselves with fancy explanations on the what and why the f.... ! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Okay, I've uploaded a beta here =
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9104284/DuckDealerRedesign.zip

If you find any mistake, please feel free to report here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andresakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very well done man. respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice work! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Albares
Spain
Logroño
La Rioja
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Work!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous work!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Karim, I noticed that on page 7 of Goods_Factories.pdf file, on the 2nd row (that has 4 consumer tiles; economics, modern art, science and medicine), the cut marks are not visible.

I noticed this after I've completed making my copy, and when I was about to setup the game, these 4 tiles are slightly larger that the normal tile size, and took more spaces. I presumed this is part of the game, but since I can't find anything on the forums and images, I'm assuming that the size should be like the normal ones.

Minor problem and easily fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Zyl
South Africa
cape town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.

Strange, I thought everyone uses plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
... And here's a draft of a box front (background will be re-painted)

Did you ever finish the box? Is there a higher res version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Necroing, but I don't care.

HannibalUltor wrote:

Because the diet pills don't work. They're just plastic capsules painted blue so they look like medicine. You might say they're a quack remedy.

Similarly, you make cargo holds by painting phone boxes blue because as we all know, blue phone boxes are good at holding things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rob_vz wrote:
Quote:
Nobody knew why, for instance, you needed plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.

Strange, I thought everyone uses plastic beads and blue paint to make diet pills.

Since most diet pills are probably placebos anyway, this is actually fairly apropos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.