Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleas for game ideas to make use of some art I have (image below) proved fruitful, and as promised I now have invoked a WIP to generate some game specific brainstorming and kick off the design and testing.

The Premise
The Hexadrome is an arena with different regions each featuring their own unique environmental effects and deadly traps. Scattered about the Arena are Hexaspikes, magically imbued icosahedron's that attune to the holders natural abilities and changes form accordingly. Players win the match by completing one of two goals: they either are the last standing OR they have 3 Hexaspikes stored in their start zone.

Gameplay Ideas
Each character has 3 unique abilities, 1 Passive, 1 Activated and 1 Special that uses a Hexaspike. There is a central deck of Action Cards everyone draws from, up to a certain maximum handsize determined by character. Action cards are all unique.

At the start of your turn you draw cards then play 1 Action card for free then may take as many further actions as you can pay for (action cost requires discarding cards of certain values, and your unique abilities also have discard costs as well). Actions include running, intercepting, attacking and activating traps or environmental effects. You can only directly attack (not including environmental effects based damage) if you hold a Hexaspike or enter a Clash.

A Clash occurs when two players occupy the same region/space. A clash is resolved by each player involved choosing a card from hand then all revealing at once. Each Action cards, in addition to an effect and value has an Assault and Guard rating. In a Clash you compare the Assault of your revealed card against the Guard of all other players in the Clash. For each player whose Guard your Assault exceeds they take damage. Then players can choose to retreat the Clash (and move into an adjacent space) or continue, this repeats until either one player is left or all players have lost hearts. If the active player doesn't win the clash their turn ends immediately.

Damage is applied by discarding cards (if you take 2 damage, you discard 2 cards at random). If you are required to discard but don't have any cards in hand then you lose 1 Heart. If you lose all of your Hearts you are eliminated!

Character Stats then Are:
Hearts
Endurance (Hand Size)
Stamina (# Cards drawn each turn)
Passive Ability
Activated Ability
Hexaspike Power

Action Cards then Are:
Value*
Effect
Assault
Guard

*Value is both the cost and discard value of the card. So if you have a card with value 4, to play it you need to discard 4 total value (or greater) worth of Action cards. I'd be happy for a more thematic name for this variable.

Thoughts/Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Hexadrome Chibi Mayhem (Wiz-War meets Dungeon Twister)
You have very violent weddings it seems. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Hexadrome Chibi Mayhem (Wiz-War meets Dungeon Twister)
Yea about that...

4 months, still happily married in any case

Back to the game!

I'm trying to come up with a bunch of ideas for different zones to build the arena map out of, I have these so far but welcome more. Each zone must have a Hazard (or two or three) associated with it. Hazards are like traps, and can be natural or artificial.

River of Lava with stone islands. Hazard: Magma Geysers

Smelly Swamp. Hazard: Gripping Tentacles of Doom and Will-O-Wisps

Ice Flows. Hazard: Breaking Ice

Typical Fantasy Forest. Hazards: Pit Traps and Snares
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Hexadrome Chibi Mayhem (A Fantasy-Theme Dodge Ball and Capture the Flag mash-up)
After moving some cardboard around a change to the Action Cards is in order, instead of their value being used in the complex way I described before it will now indicate the number of cards you need to discard in order to use that Action. The previous method (you had to discard cards with sum value equal to or greater than the value of the card you wanted to use) was more restrictive than I had hoped.

I'm trying to come up with some different kinds of action cards now, and figure out how many I should have in the deck.

If the game plays up to 6 players, and the average max hand-size is 6 then 36 cards is necessary to just start the game. Double or triple(?) that to get a deck large enough that shuffling doesn't happen every turn (given that a players will be playing cards, discarding cards to play those cards, discarding cards for damage and drawing cards every turn I can see a hand of 6 being fully recycled on average every other turn). That's a lot of cards (108). If I cut to 5 players 90 will suffice.

As for kinds of Action cards, I really want to avoid duplication if I can help it: Some cards will be used to attack (throw a ball or strike with a ball; all attacks require you to have a ball!), some cards will activate Hazards, some cards will be used to move and some cards will be reactionary. My wonder is how I should divide cards of those basic types up over the deck (to make sure that in a typical draw you get some move cards, some attack cards, some hazard activation cards and a reaction card).

Also, given the dodge ball/capture the flag nature I wonder if in thinking purely of moving and attacking and Hazards I am missing a dimension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Hexadrome Chibi Mayhem (A Fantasy-Theme Dodge Ball and Capture the Flag mash-up)
Things are coming together, and I'm discovering the value of just scribbling on paper and trying things (and not necessarily scribbling out the *whole* game, but I just made a few imaginary hands and imagined 'mid-game' states and moved bits around).

Here's what I got to:

Action Cards are kind of reverting back to the original idea. They now have 2 new variables, Value and Cost (call it Energy and Stamina). Each player has an Energy reserve which you can build up over time; at the start of your turn - after Drawing cards - you may discard any number of cards to gain Energy equal to their Energy value. Then, when you play cards you must spend Energy equal to their Stamina cost. Energy will typically be greater than Stamina so you can slowly build a surplus over a few turns (and so that if you are discarding high Energy cards you may only have to do it every other or third turn depending on how action happy you are).

The previous system of discarding cards to play cards was at odds with damage being mitigated by discarding cards. If you became a target you didn't want to take any actions because it would shrink your hand and make you more vulnerable to wounds. Now, Energy is another resource that can be attacked (some attacks might remove Energy instead of dealing Damage) and there is less pressure on your hand when you take actions so you feel comfortable doing more thing son a turn = more fun!

Board will be divided into 'zones' which will be blob-like spaces connected to each other (kind of like the world map in Small World). Zones will have symbols to indicate their type (Fire, Water, Swamp, Magic... any other region types I think of) and may have a symbol if they have special properties (Hazardous; which means other players can play Hazard cards on you if you are in that zone). Attack range and movement will just count zones (no worries about line of sight or range attacks being restricted to straight lines - curve balls!) and typically attack range will be 2 (with 1 being an adjacent zone and 0 being same zone). So I need to make sure the spaces are plentiful enough that it is possible to avoid being in range of each other (range is meaningless if everything is typically always in range of everything else).

That's what I have so far and I am now into full gear trying to create enough cards for a 2-player game. I am thinking with 6 card hands and 4 card draw per turn that, for 2 players, a deck of 30 cards ought to suffice (12 cards to start, leaving 18 in the deck which will take 4.5 turns to get through ignoring any card-draw effects). The break down I think will be:

12 Movement Cards
12 Attack Cards
6 Hazard Cards

With 3 of those Movement cards having the "Dodge" reaction ability on them in addition to their normal effect and 3 of the Attack cards having the "Intercept" reaction ability on them. (Dodge lets you discard the card to avoid any attack made from Range 2 or greater; Intercept lets you discard the card and any other to catch a ball thrown through/into your space).

I'm not going to worry about character abilities quite yet, just get these basics together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brief update, I made a card - I'm so happy I have to share!

Top right corner is the card's Stamina Cost, to the right of the card name. In the big box is the effect of playing the card, in this case it gives you a burst of movement and a buff for the rest of your turn. Along the bottom are the other values, red square is Assault (3), green circle is Energy (2) and blue square is Guard (1). This card also has the "Intercept" label which means it can be discarded to perform the "Intercept" reaction.

To play this card you must spend 3 Stamina, alternatively during the start of your turn you could discard this card to gain 2 Stamina (most cards will have higher Energy value than Cost leading to a tendency to produce surplus leading to future turns when you can play lots of cards without having to discard for Stamina - Charge! is an exception).

I'm also thinking of using Assault and Guard for melee combat instead of "Clashing" and axing the Clash mechanic (it's one more thing to worry about) merging the Clash idea (of being able to block someone moving through your space) into the Intercept ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great art! What a neat way to immortalize your friends in art AND in a game.

So far, this project sounds fun! Looking forward to hearing more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement! I have already "immortalized them in game" once with Ultimate Chibi Defenders: Wedding Edition and subsequently Ultimate Chibi Defenders: Wedding Party Rockers; but this idea was to make a game that involved player conflict (which we tend to prefer). Really, to make a game with us, for us (instead of a game with us, for my wedding favours!)

I have also been toying with the idea of re-purposing the chibi's to make a Print-And-Play-Constructable-Card-Game, but that's an idea for when this one is done (and I wrap up a few other loose end projects around here).

As for Hexadrome, the rules are coming along well. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to slam together the micro-version (no character abilities, just 2 player, etc) and give her a proper whirl.

Additionally, I am considering increasing hearts (to the order of 20ish) and removing the "damage causes you to discard, if you can't discard lose hearts" approach to damage dealing. It is a disincentive you to play more than 1 or 2 cards a turn (since you typically draw 4 you want to make sure that damage taken + cards played is less than 4 unless you want to open yourself to damage... and once a player has no cards in hand everyone is encouraged to beat on them since it means your damage will go farther and possibly lead to an elimination). Also, it makes hands more volatile making long-term planning impossible -- you can always count on discarding some or most of your hand between turns.

I'm not going to cut it right away (I am instead going to experiment with a generic action that everyone can take, something like "Recover: Spend 2 Energy and draw 2 Cards and immediately end your turn. If you did not play an Action this turn drawn an additional card; you do not discard down to hand-limit this turn.") I'm worried this would slow things down a bit, and I want the game to be both fast and furious so hiccups in the aggression are undesirable - but it's the kind of thing that needs tested (like the discarding did, but it turned out to be mostly-unfun even with a super micro-version of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Canada are you located? If you're in the Toronto or SW Ontario area and interested, we could do a play-testing trade at some point (or if we made game files available for PnP or sent each other prototypes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
London...

Drop me a note It isn't ready for a play-testing trade, but it might be soon (and the thought of one upcoming might just be the right kind of fire to light under me and get it together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to jump in and say "my god Mail Merge!"

Being on a macbook, NanDeck (and Magic Set Editor) are a pain to gt functioning (gotta use WINE, and that's not always so user-friendly, MSE is night unusable in WINE) I've been using Inkscape/Gimp to do all my cards. That's a pretty big undertaking in this game, with 30 cards to make (I actually, for testing purposes, went with 4 attack cards, 4 move cards and have 3x of each and 2x of each of 3 different Hazard cards).

Solution: Open Office. I use a spreadhseet to store the card data and made an open office document (sized to a card, 2.5 x 3.5 inches) then populated it with the fields from the spreadsheet - print out a single pdf file with each card as its own page then print that 9 pages to a single page with page delimiting lines. Relatively Painless (also boring with no fancy art/colouring but hey, this is a playtest version)!

Tonight I hope to make the game board (starting with just Fire, Swamp and Water zones) and give the basic principles a whirl (no character abilities quite yet -- just Energy management, throwing dodge balls, scoring points and kicking butt -- Core Functionality only). If this holds together you can expect a PnP Version to hit the board by Sunday (assuming I get the time to type up the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the double/triple post, but I thought those who don't have access to NanDeck/MSE might be interested in the result I was so proud of, Dropbox link below:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65274999/Card%202p.pdf

Took me 5 minutes once I figured out the process (excluding time to actually type out all the values for the cards in a spreadsheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to get you to show me how to do that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed. (God these people who can do the art! How splendid to live in a world that has them in it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Test Run (or two) in and as natural some changes:

1. I'm making two different objects on the field -- having the projectile weapons also be what you score for points makes no one want to throw anything! You would just be giving up points in exchange for a bit of damage, and that's no fun. So now everyone starts the game with a single Hexball and there is a supply of Hexballs in the middle of the arena equal to players minus 1. These are the 'dodge balls' used for Projectile Attacks (and Melee Struggles). If you don't have a ball, you can't make an attack. There are also Flags, each player has 2 in their starting area of their colour, and at the end of the game you get bonus points for each enemy flag in your start area.

2. Players score points throughout the game by scoring flags (retrieving a flag is worth 1 point, recovering your own is worth 2 points -- end of game enemy flags in your area grant you a bonus of 2 points each) and KOing other players -- if you deal the final point of damage to an opponent then they discard their hand, return their token to their start zone and you gain 3 points (no elimination, but a strong incentive to take each other down constantly).

3. Melee vs Ranged attacks. Ranged attacks let you throw Hexaballs (often with extra properties, like being on Fire) at opponents. Thrown balls can be Dodged (discard a Dodge card and move to an adjacent space) and Intercepted (catching them; discard an Intercept card and any one other card).

Melee attacks let you smack someone upside the head with a Hexball if they are in the same space as you. Melee attacks trigger a Struggle - in a Struggle both players choose a card facedown then reveal it, compare Assault and Guard values. If your Guard is lower than the opponent's Assault they hit you (and you can hit them too!) this also triggers "Struggle" effects on some cards (Adrenaline Rush, for instance, will grant you +3 Energy if you reveal it in a Struggle - but it has very low Guard to compensate for that!). It's possible to take damage when you initiate a Struggle, but on the other hand it is possible to trigger Struggle effects *and* you don't lose your Hexball (so can keep on attacking if you have the cards/energy).

This so far has been a good start, and I can see ideas forming in my mind on directions it can go (some easy to manage status effects - such as Burning or Poison - and characters that have other ways to gain VP; like an Ice themed character who gains bonus VP by turning Water Zones into Ice Zones).

Going to do some more revising and thinking before I make a round of changes to the cards and sit down to formally write the rules. A playtest version is a thing of the future (and won't turn up tomorrow, too many changes - both major and minor - to bring into effect)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Struggle question: Can the opponent that did not initiate the struggle deal damage if they do not have a Hexball?
Might be worth considering those without Hexballs deal no damage, making them targets. On the other hand though, it means throwing them is that much more dangerous...unless throwing them deals almost lethal damage. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent thought, which I hadn't thought of.

If you don't have a hexball, you can deal no damage (so in a struggle the only stat that would matter for you is Guard).

And you're absolutely right, throwing them is a big risk, so the reward best be equally big - I'm going to tinker with the numbers and make sure throwing has higher damage potential than striking. Especially since a thrown ball can be Dodged or Intercepted while the only way to avoid damage in a strike is to play a card with really high Guard.

Also, throwing also now causes a knock-back (that was just on one throw card, but now it's built into throwing). That way you can bombard someone to push them away from a flag and lets you defend more effectively at a distance (as KOing someone isn't the only way to use throws to defend things).

I could use some help brainstorming attack card and movement card names. Some examples:

Attack Cards
-Flare Burst (Throws Ball that releases a burst of heat dealing small damage to everyone in target space, also has normal throw properties)
-Long Shot (Throws Ball at long range)
-Water Pulse (Throws Ball with a surge of water that increases knock-back force)
-Power Shot (Throws ball at higher damage)

I think I'm going to let any attack be used as a Strike (with the same extra properties); this will help avoid drawing into a hand of cards you can't use how you want to (i.e. I only have Strike cards and I'm no where near anyone to hit).

Move Cards
-Dash (Average Movement Speed)
-Sprint (Below Average Movement with a big bonus to movement if you do nothing else this turn)
-Quick Step (One space movement at no cost)
-Burning Stride (Average Movement that leaves patches of fire in your wake)
-Charge!(Movement with a bonus to attack power for the rest of your turn)

There are currently three different environmental types of zones, Fire, Water and Swamp -- so part of coming up with card ideas is also coming up with some that match to each type of zone (some Fire and Water ones are already up there). I also need some neutral ones as well. My difficulty hinges on coming up with names so if you have any ideas you don't need to worry about roughing up mechanics for it -- just name it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PROGRESS - Weekend Testing

Went to the old city and visited with the old friends last weekend, I scrambled on Friday to have a prototype of this ready to throw down and we got one 3 player free for all in. A couple friends came in late so watched, while me and two others played. It took about 45minutes, and that was a first game (an hour if you include rules explaining time). I expect it to curb down to 30 minutes or less for a 3way FFA when all players have played before (which is spot on).

The game went well, one player got behind on scoring early and struggled to keep up. The final scores were 9-9-6 with the tie broken by most flags captured. One of those 9 was me, with a big pile of flags, the other had no flags in his Zone at the end but had steadily been scoring points by Knock Outs and flag caps all game, and the 6 had 2 flags (which means he had a mere 2 points before end game scoring!).

The game was met with unyielding enthusiasm (and my friends, so familiar they are with my game designing and knowing if they aren't harsh they will be made to play things again). The two who played immediately asked about the "deck building" aspect I alluded to, and once I explained it bombarded me for the rest of the weekend with card and character ideas. Not surprisingly they wanted to play again, and others watching also wanted to (but alas, time as it was the opportunity never arose again).

Moving Forward
I have now made a great big pile of Neutral Cards (a full playset is 54 cards, which is 3 copies of the 18 distinct Neutrals) and cards for 6 different characters (a complete character is 15 cards; 1 character card, 2 unique action cards and 3 copies of each of their 4 character specific action cards). So in total the game is 144 cards for a single person to have a complete set (I'm going to, I think, get bundles of 198 and print 2 sets of Neutrals so there is enough cards to build at least 2 decks from a full card pool).

Decks are 24 cards plus your character card and the construction rules are pretty simple. No more than 3 copies of cards by name (only 1 copy of cards labelled "unique") and you can't use cards that are linked to a faction different from your character.

The game plays over 12 rounds, and the rules seamlessly allow for 1 on 1 duels, 3-6 player Free For All and 2v2 and 3v3 teams (which are very interesting, the team games have very different dynamics). As you add players game length obviously increases, though I'm not sure how severely yet.

Below is a teaser of some of the components:

You might notice the cards are a bit simpler now, I cut out Struggles all together (replaced the idea of "melee attacks" with Range 0 attacks). And the art direction change, we decided the game was a bit more "serious" than Chibi art; but we still use the Chibi's where temporary replacements couldn't be found and as inspiration.

Next Steps
I'm now working on designing the game board, Hexes are amazing in that the game start setup can be made symmetric for 2,3,4 and 6 players -- the 5 player game is the tricky one (as it doesn't evenly divide into 6 sides). Then a few tokens need to be designed (above you can see the Hexball token; I also need a Flag, Armour, Poison, Damage and Shadow counters as well as a Robot Chicken and Time counters).

When this is all done I'm going to put together some playtest kits and ship them off to my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at Robot Chicken

Could you give us a breakdown of the new card layout? (pretty please)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you asked so nicely, mind you it isn't very different at all (just Guard and Assault have been removed):

1: Action Energy Cost
2: Action Card Name
3: Action Card Effect
4: Faction Symbol
5: Energy Value
6: Unique Keyword

7: Maximum Hearts
8: Class Name
9: Innate Ability
10: Faction Symbol

When building decks the Faction Symbol of your class restricts your available card pool to those without Faction Symbols and those cards with a matching Faction Symbol. You may have 3 copies of a card with the same name, no more than one of which may have a * following the name (cards whose names differ only by a * are considered to have the same name). Additionally, any card with the "Unique" keyword may only occur once in your deck.

At the start of your turn you are able to build Energy, to do this you discard any number of cards and gain Energy equal to their Energy Value (5). When you play an Action you must pay its Energy Cost (1), after which you apply its Effect (3).

Ongoing effects remain in play until they are discarded (by the player, an effect or the player being Knocked Out). Attack's allow you to throw Hexballs and cause some damage. Reactions trigger under specified conditions to allow you to influence the game outside of your turn. There are also other effects as well, that don't fit into these categories (such as those that generate Move points and those that do wild and weird things).

I've also changed the card back if anyone thought the one two posts up was a bit... garish.

I plan to write up the rules tonight and then share the rules and the base card set for immediate knee-jerk feedback (on clarity and balance concerns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's together, the rules are really rough but I think I got all the words down. The only thing missing now (that's really necessary) is a digital version of the game board. I'm onto that now.

Rulebook: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65274999/Rulebook.pdf

Neutral Cards: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65274999/Neutral%20Cards.pdf

Faction Cards: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65274999/Character%20Cards.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update to the rulebook, I added the Rest action (you can skip your turn to reshuffle your Discard into your Deck) and fixed the Knock Out rules to specify that when you are KO'd, any Hexballs you were holding are not Dropped but instead placed in the central space. This causes Hexballs to slowly gather in the middle of the board as the game goes on, increasing the incentive to actually step into the Fire space (anyone who has looked at the Hazard's already knows why you might not want to... hint: Flame Geyser).

Lastly, a bit more to show off today - I finished the "prototype" board (art is definitely not final!). Start Zones are going to be 2.5in x 2.5in tiles that you place adjacent to the board connected to one of the white spaces (white spaces have no zone type and so are not subject to Hazards).

Middle space is the Fire Zone, Water Zones around that and the purple spaces are Swamp Zones. It's 5 Move Points to go from your Start Zone to an adjacent player's, 6 Move Points to get to any other players.

For 2 player games you would set up on opposite sides, 3 player games every other space, 4 player (both FFA and 2v2) set up symmetrically and 6 player uses all spots. 5 player has one empty space, and means 2 players don't have "slightly nearer neighbours" but I don't expect that to be a big problem.

A few more tokens and this baby will be ready to prototype. I'm putting in an order at Printer Studio while they have free shipping on orders over 30$ to get a complete playset of cards (4 sets of Neutrals and 1 set of Characters; enough for 4 players to have full customization options if you each pick a character before hand).

BONUS: Anyone who provides useful comments, rulebook insights, prints the game, plays the game or in any way helps me shape the game and move it along - I'll toss some Geekgold at you. Greater contribution, greater GG bonus. If you're really serious about helping develop this monster of a game (I mean monster in the most loving sense of the term) drop me a geekmail and we can talk about prototyping (but you have to be willing to sit down *with other people* to play it)... alternatively, any Vassal Pro's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Printer Studio order came in - I now have 4 sets of the game in hand (well, enough for 4 players to build decks as long as no one uses the same Character). Board is made and I made a big pile of tokens (although I forgot to make a Score Track and Energy Tokens).

I hope to get those files available soon (and to make a Player Board that has Score and Energy spots on it -- maybe a Life track too to avoid the need for the pile of Damage tokens I have).

With luck I'll get some good testing in this coming weekend (and leave the prototype behind with my friends who are eager to "break the game")

Also, considering this for the 2P PnP contest - as it does actually play 2 (on the other hand, it can be a big print order, given the amount of cards you need to print and cut in order to get the "full game"). Things to think on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a life track you could consider having tokens of higher denominations e.g. bunch of 5 health tokens as well as 1 health tokens. This works quite well in games like Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.