Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that if I end up with an extra spade from something that gives me more than one at a time, like a power action, I can spend that extra spade on another hex, if the first was fully transformed? But, can I spend resources to have more than enough spades?

"Why, would you want to do that?" you are asking. Well, the witches can slap a dwelling down on the board with their stronghold action, but it must be on a forest. So, if I do a normal build, overpay for spades to change a second space into forest, then I can use my witch ability to drop off a dwelling.

So, legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak authoritatively here, but this smells of combining two separate actions into one action (and thus illegal)...but I could well be wrong!

I believe you would be combining your special action with the terraform action if you would do this, which are specified as two separate actions. Just my 2 cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Bösel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules wrote:
1 Transform and Build
First, you may change the type of one Terrain space. Then, if you
have changed its type to your Home terrain, you may immediately
build a Dwelling on that space.

[...]

Spades may only be applied to a single Terrain space. However,
there are two special cases:
• If the Spades gained via a Power action or Bonus card do not suffice to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain, you may
exchange Workers for the missing Spades (at the current Exchange rate of your Exchange track).
• When gaining 2 Spades, if you only need one of them to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain, you may apply the
second Spade on another Terrain space. However, you may not
place a Dwelling on this second space.

You can only change the type of one tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, I'm asking about the legality of the following:

Quote:
Spend a transform and build action, paying workers (or priests) to gain spades to transform two spaces, building on one of them.

The witch followup action is only there to describe a motivation for doing so. There are others, like transforming a space to block someone else, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
Sorry but you cannot overpay for a extra spades. The only way you can use a left spade to transform a second hex, is when you get spades by a bonus effect. For example the halflings stronghold effect; with a bonus effect at the end of a round or by using the right power actions at the bottom of the map. And these spades you can only expand, if they aren't enough for transforming only one hex in your home field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a clarification from page 10 of the English rule book...

"When gaining 2 Spades, if you only need one of them to transform a Terrain space into your Home terrain, you may apply the second Spade on another Terrain space. However, you may not ppace a Dwelling on this second space."

So you can transform a second hex with the 2 Spade Special Action, but you'd want to ensure that only you have access to that hex so no one else can steal it before it returns to your turn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
... but you'd want to ensure that only you have access to that hex so no one else can steal it before it returns to your turn again.

Well, you could also terraform a forest to something else to prevent the OTHER player, who plays the Witches, from using his special stronghold action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
I know that if I end up with an extra spade from something that gives me more than one at a time, like a power action, I can spend that extra spade on another hex, if the first was fully transformed? But, can I spend resources to have more than enough spades?

"Why, would you want to do that?" you are asking. Well, the witches can slap a dwelling down on the board with their stronghold action, but it must be on a forest. So, if I do a normal build, overpay for spades to change a second space into forest, then I can use my witch ability to drop off a dwelling.

So, legal?

No.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10505554#10505554
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.