Subject: Dragonlord Kraxonis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What is up with this guy? He's pretty much impossible to defeat (if you can kill him, you might as well go for the Objective) and he attacks you for at least 8 a turn in a 4-player game - and his strength keeps going up as the game goes on. If he comes out on the first turn, I just don't see the players winning the game, as soon the players will be facing guaranteed hammerblows every Event Phase.

Those who have played Dragonlords co-op: what is your experience with this card? Does he need a tweak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about this card too... how does one defeat it? Can you attack it and add damage until 25 and then it dies? or is it just impossible to kill and you have to just hold on until the end...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think there is a lot of luck involved. In a solo game, if it is the last stage one card you draw, you have a much greater chance of beating the draogonlord without even having to touch Kraxonis.

Try playing the game set up this way, ie shuffle the stage one cards, and place Kraxonis as the last one before the stage two cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would vote for the same - and afterwards, you may increase the challenge by moving this Lord further one card by one to the top of Event deck each time you win the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krunsH himself
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
What is up with this guy? He's pretty much impossible to defeat (if you can kill him, you might as well go for the Objective)

Haha THIS exact question came up in our group today.

Somehow dragonlords didnt work at all playing it coop and it was a huge disappointment for our group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the more players, the more deadly he is. Especially if he shows up on the first or second turn..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, I thought that this card was buggy because why go for that card, when the final objective is weaker. But I knew there was something weird about that very high strength.

But by reading the cards over and over again, and seeing that the dragon is full of blood in his mouth, I think I now understand the rules.

The tokens you place on this card count for 2 purpose, first determine how much damage he inflict the player, second determine his real life points.

What is confusing, is that in rune age, there is only 1 type of token: wound tokens. So adding "damage token" could be confused as adding wound tokens simply for the purpose of counting, but I think here they really mean damage.

This means that in a 4 player game, the dragon starts with 8 tokens. Since the dragon already has 8 damage, 25-8 = 17, so the Health of the dragon is 17, not 25.

As the game progress, he will make more damage with his attacks, but will also become weaker.

Now I am not sure if people played it this way. It might still be hard to defeat that dragon even by using the rules above especially for a stage 1 event card. Let me know if this is the way you played it.

And yes, it would need a FAQ (as proposed on another thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BY the way, considering that the player share their home realms, this card can be pretty deadly, because in a 4 player it will make 8 damage for each player on the first round. So a potential of 32 damage and more every turn

So I don't know why they as to use a combined home realm. It seems hard enough to have separate home realm.

Unless all players play their cards in the same battle, but I really doubt that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, concerning the damage Kraxonis deals to the shared Home Realm, you seem to forget the rule in the last page of the Oath and Anvil rulebook:

My error, I found it afterward.

Quote:
Invasion from the Abyss??? (Cataclysm scenario) It would be fantastic, because before the enemy makes you lose the game, it is automatically dead...

Also, you forget about The Quest for Power scenario: damage tokens represent Power here and nothing else: if they would represent damage as well, you could not win, because in the moment you get 20, you would be dead.

I have not thought of comparing with other cards.

Quote:
The fact is that Dragonlord Kraxonis acts like a timer on the game: as someone posted,

I understand, it's just that in a 4 player game, that means starting with strength 8 attacks in a stage 1 card. If you compare with other cards, there are a str 9 and 12 cards in the stage 2 cards that COULD get drawn every turn.

Sure, with the shared home realm, you could chose the best player to defend. As who has the biggest hand and give him the challenge.

I imagine that it would get ugly near the end of the game when both Kraxonis and the str 9 or 12 card shows up at the same time. You'll need to soak more than 25 damage every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes much more sense now.

Still, a 25 str dragon, I don't think players will ever kill this dragon. Rather focus on the real objective than killing an str 25 dragon. Like you said, it's probably only a game clock that has the option to be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just read dragonlord's resolve, now I understand why the objective can get over 40. Still you can powerdown the card progressively from turn to turn, so it's not so bad. For Kraxonis, you need 25 damage in a single attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After finally managing to try Dragonlords coop, I find that he isn't as bad as I thought. The real killer cards are the double-attrition die guy and, of course, Dragonlords' Resolve. I did stack the deck so that he couldn't come out on the first turn though and he ended up as the final card of the Tier 1 event deck, so that might have affected it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, new Rune Age owner here, just played a solitaire game, and I was wondering about Kraxonis... I'm failing to understand how it works. I figured that it's a timer until doomsday, yes, but...

Quote:
DRAGONLORD KRAXONIS
ENEMY
Place 2 damage tokens per player on this card.
Start of Each Event Phase:
Add 1 damage token to this card. Then this card attacks each player with strengh equal to the number of tokens on this card.

1) What is a "players' strength"? Is that the life that he has left on his home realm?

Doesn't that mean Kraxonis only will attack once?

2) And since the errata made "each" only one player, does that mean if two players have the same home realm strength, we only pick one to attack?

3) And since the Dragonlord's tokens only go up, and life only goes down, any player can only effectively be attacked once by Kraxonis, in the entire game, right?

Not really sure if my reading is right... Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the quest once at 2 players.

Kraxonis works like the strength 12 dragon card that attack players. You must play units to match that strength, and for each point you fail to do so, you get a damage to your home realms.

Now since everybody share the same home realm, only 1 player needs to fight Kraxonis each turn. So normally, you take the player with the strongest hand to match him.

Kraxonis attacks each turn until defeated or until the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading and re-reading like 5 times I finally clicked that "attacking players with strength equal to number of tokens" meant that it attacks, and it's strength is x - I was looking for a strength of a home realm equal to the number of tokens on the card - of course there are none - to fulfill the condition of the target - as in if there wasnt a matching home realm strength, it won't attack.

English! What a crazy language!

But now I get it. Finally thanks for explaining!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.