Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Critical Hit Tokens = Useless and Redundant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my dozen or so plays, I have yet to see the need for critical hit tokens. Firstly, critical hits are easily identified by the face up damage card near the affected ship. In addition, having another token on the board makes for a more cluttered game. In 100 point matches, for clarity and space, I already prefer keeping maneuver dials on the pilot card, and I only place stress, focus, evade, and target locks on the board.

Critical hit tokens are good in theory, but too cumbersome in practice for me. Does anyone else agree or perhaps have a better way to use these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I just never use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
I agree. I also think it´s a good idea to keep the dials on the cards, the look of the board matters since it´s a miniature game after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I don't tend to use them either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont use them either. Even in the rulebooks, it says they're just used as a reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We use them to mark non-action token actions, like pilot and droid actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use them, and I insist anyone I play use them too. True, they are just a there as a reminder as are all the other tokens in the game. Usually a ship with a Crit on it has one foot in the grave anyway and won't last much longer, but the effect of the crit could be a game changer and easily overlooked even with the token in place. I also insist on a token to mark an action that doesn't have an official token like Marksmanship or R2-F2, again because it could easily be overlooked if its not marked. As standard practice as well, keeping your dial on the ship card helps to keep the game organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you prefer to keep a clutter-free table, why not put all tokens on the cards themselves, including Focus/Evade/Lock/Stress tokens? Those could also be seen by cross-referencing the corresponding cards.

I don't mind tokens on the playfield. They're just visual reminders that some special rules apply to that ship. This is true of Focus/Evade/Lock/Stress tokens as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't use the Crit tokens, we put all the tokens on the pilot cards. We found that every time we moved the ships, invariably some tokens on different ships would get left behind, then mixed with others. "Hey I target-locked Darth Vader, not that Academy Pilot" etc...

Using the crit tokens to mark other actions seems like a good idea to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We put the crit tokens in the little number wedge on the base of the ship.
Never fall off, don't clutter and stay with ship until removed via card flip.. or getting blown the F-UP!...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TradenMyr wrote:
Critical hit tokens are good in theory, but too cumbersome in practice for me. Does anyone else agree or perhaps have a better way to use these?

It is just there for those that tend to forget to check their damage cards in the excitement to play. It didn't cost (much) more to include them on the token sheets that were already included.

I don't use them but most likely lobbied to get them "just in case" during the playtesting period. My philosophy has always been if something can be tracked, include something to track it with even if some people find them redundant. If they hadn't been included, someone might have asked and then they would have to play catch up on adding them in the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My philosophy has always been if something can be tracked, include something to track it with even if some people find them redundant. If they hadn't been included, someone might have asked and then they would have to play catch up on adding them in the expansions.

Then I'm asking where the generic tokens are for actions that are not on tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My philosophy has always been if something can be tracked, include something to track it with even if some people find them redundant. If they hadn't been included, someone might have asked and then they would have to play catch up on adding them in the expansions.

Then I'm asking where the generic tokens are for actions that are not on tokens.

This is FFG, not GMT. My lobbying can only go so far.

Use the unused critical hit tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My philosophy has always been if something can be tracked, include something to track it with

This. I'd go so far and say, if there is no way to track something, that thing is not a legit rules element.
This guideline can also often be used to remember/intuit rules. Non-X-Wing examples: In Civ, "printed" coins cannot be invested, because how would you show that? Break off the token corner? Cross it out wtih sharpie? In TI3, hostile force domain tokens you fail to defeat return to full strength, because how would you mark that it has taken losses? Etc.

Geosphere wrote:

For Marksmanship and such, we tap the cards to indicate use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Right here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are annoying to move around, but that's part of the penalty for having an ongoing damage to your ship. It's thematic.

I found that we need them for remembering the critical effects.

Also, for using an action like Marksmanship I usually put the card out on the table near the ship. Otherwise using the mission tokens could be good for an effect like the droid that gives an extra defense die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally thought the critical token was for marksmanship until I asked somebody else. Works really well in that regard.

I think ffg did a really good job of making x wing not too cluttered and very easy to play with everything you need right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Geosphere wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

The problem is they would either have to make them generic, in which case as soon as you have a few out on the board they would start to get confusing, or else they make them specific to the abilities, in which case you'd need a lot of tokens, plus new tokens in expansions that introduce new abilities. Nice to have, but not really at the cost of making the game more cluttered or expensive I guess - I like the solution where you just "tap" the ability card like in MtG, to show it's been played that round. it's not as great a visual cue as a token on the ship itself, but it's a good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Regis

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'marker tokens' that look like little computer screens are what we've been using.

Not nearly as dead sexy as crit tokens, but meh. It works.

-Av
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game, Vader had the Console Fire crit. I totally forgot hw had it, and being Vader, he could have easily used one of his two actions to put the fire out. Instead he target locked onto Luke and Focused. He ended up taking a damage and then killing Luke, but he died net turn. Had I remembered he had this crit, I would have put out the fire.

Ever since, we always use the crit markers.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, I've never used one either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting ideas and some useful clarifications for a rookie like me. Good discussion guys.

Hey Rogue, I like your droid token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:
In one game, Vader had the Console Fire crit. I totally forgot hw had it, and being Vader, he could have easily used one of his two actions to put the fire out. Instead he target locked onto Luke and Focused. He ended up taking a damage and then killing Luke, but he died net turn. Had I remembered he had this crit, I would have put out the fire.

Ever since, we always use the crit markers.

-shnar

Situations like this are why I started using them after thinking they were pretty useless beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redundant, yes. Useless, not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good discussion so far. Perhaps I should have made a poll.

The consensus seems to be that a large number of players do not use critical hit tokens, but a few are using them for their intended purpose - as a gentle reminder so the effects are not missed in the heat of battle. Other players use them for tracking actions, although tapping works as well there.

I think that I will actually dig them out of my pile of scenario tokens and see if they are helpful during my next game. I had never even attempted to use them prior to posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.