Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to get in on the Kickstarter for this game - and I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a print and play version of it after pitching in to help out with the funding. I have never attempted a PAP game before, so decided to gave this one a whirl.

I was not disappointed!

The other gaming partners that I have in my household are not quite as hardcore as me, so I figured with is simplistic design that Guts of Glory would be a easy sell. Boy was I right.

It was very quick to teach to my wife and her sister. One realizes just how important a good theme is while teaching a game. Instead of the normally grueling experience of just trying to muscle through a mountain of abstract rules, you get to say fun things like "OK, now you can swallow the tapeworm and chew the fridge" - these are lines that you are sure you wont soon forget. We all had that "a-ha" moment about midway through the first play, and I imagine this will quickly become one of our favorites as we begin to develop strategies.

If you haven't given it a look, I highly recommend checking it out. We are all looking forward to the full game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Fuchs
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Mathieu!

Any problems figuring out the rules, or ambiguities you saw? I'm working on polishing up the rulebook this weekend, along with the rules text on the cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spew chain is the most difficult concept to get down (haha). Once you wrap your head around that part the rest is very easy to understand.

The Snack Product card did inspire a few questions about when scoring occurs. I ruled that it is chewed, swallowed, scored, then spewed. Was that correct? The alternative would be that it would be spewed infinitely without ever being able to be scored (making the glory points on it pointless). Also, it was a little unclear if the Snack Product was the card being spewed when swallowed, or if another card could be chosen.

My only other concern was that the blue background of the food and the green background of the condiments seemed to be very perceptually similar. But this might have just been my printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.