• [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Edge battle for a few reasons. It helps cycle cards, it adds a bluffing element to the game, and it gives a bit of a controlled randomness to make each game different. It kind of has that feel of the old destiny number of SW:CCG but a little more controlled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Holder
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The light side player can only win by destroying three dark side objectives.

In the rules scan that I read, it says the LS can also win if the DS player goes to draw from his deck but can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSUDrew wrote:
Quote:
The light side player can only win by destroying three dark side objectives.

In the rules scan that I read, it says they can also win if the DS player goes to draw from his deck but can't.

That applies to both players, it's just not the most likely outcome at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
In practice though, unless the DS player is absolutely terrible, they'll have won long before they get decked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is a re-implementation of the duel system in Legend of the Five Rings. I like it far better in this game, because here, Edge battles will be a necessary element of any deck. In contrast, L5R dueling as a gameplay mechanic has historically faltered due to the fact that only certain decks are built with a dueling strategy in mind, and the Focus Effects found in such decks (basically the same thing as Fate cards in this game) mean that a non-dueling opponent has no real incentive to contest his opponent's bid to win the duel. Unfortunately, fixing this problem would require a massive overhaul of the gameplay of either dueling decks themselves, or most of the game's playable clans and a fudging of the game's storyline history (i.e. certain clans are supposed to be just plain better at dueling than others).

TL;DR: I look forward to these Edge battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.