United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 214th TGIF Poll
If you were considering one of these two games for #1 on your Top 10, which would win?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A game you adore playing more than anything, but you struggle to find opportunities to play it
90.6% 279
A game you really like playing, although not as much as the other game, but this one hits the table frequently
9.4% 29
Voters 308
If a game that you consider a "favorite" went more than 5 years without play would you downgrade its rating?
Absolutely
4.9% 15
Probably
22.0% 68
Maybe
22.7% 70
Doubtful
32.0% 99
No way
18.4% 57
Voters 309
Do you still play the games that you considered favorites when you first came into the hobby?
All the time
3.9% 12
Frequently
20.6% 63
Sometimes
53.6% 164
Rarely
21.6% 66
Never
0.3% 1
Voters 306
This poll is now closed.   309 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:00 am

4. Name a game that you played a lot when you first became a board game hobbyist that you don't play much now. Why do you think it has fallen by the wayside?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Name a game that you played a lot when you first became a board game hobbyist that you don't play much now. Why do you think it has fallen by the wayside?

Settlers of Catan. I've moved on to other games, and am frequently frustrated by the dice in Catan to the point that I'd just rather not bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda CF
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of the same thing (but not really), right BEFORE I got into the hobby in a real way, my family and I played a LOT of Phase Ten. I was never thrilled about it, but it was a game. And family time!

Now that I have options, I wretch at the idea of eschewing one of my cool schmancy games and choosing Phase Ten instead. But my husband still loves it. So we play it.gulp

Hopefully though (because today is my birthday!) we'll get to play something that I want to play tonight. Maybe even something NEW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 The first option, no contest. Getting played more often might help boost my rating of another game, but a great game is still a great game even if it doesn't get played as much as others. I'll play it solo if I have to.

2 I have downgraded a few games after they went years without being played (and without looking like they might get played in the near future), but not more than a point or two at most. Whatever I originally liked about the game is still a part of it, and the rating should reflect that.

3 Many of those older "gateway" games still get played from time to time, but they have a lot more competition now so they don't show up nearly as often.

4 Settlers got a lot of play for me when I really started to get into the hobby, but it only gets played a couple times a year now because, like I said for #3, there are a lot of other games competing for table space now. There's also the issue of player numbers - even though it does work with 3, 5, or 6 players, 4 is the sweet spot so that's the only time I'll really consider it. There are countless other options out there for the other player numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Blue Max - most folks in my game group, especially my wife, don't care for it, but it still remains one of my 4 "10" games.

Duel of Ages - another that we just don't play near as often as I would like, but it's still a "10"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Carcassonne, the first game I played when discovering the hobby. Played the crap out of it, then discovered a whole world of games.I still like it and am looking forward to trying the Spielbox expansion I got this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#4 - Catan

Settlers was my first Euro game, and I played it probably twice a week for 2 years straight. That dropped to once a week, and now it's maybe once every couple of months.

Settlers is still a well-loved game by my gaming group, but it's playing time was decimated by 2 big reasons. First, we discovered other games. Instead of playing 1 or 2 games all the time, we play maybe a dozen different games each month. Second, having a child seriously cuts into your playing time. A third minor reason is that the novelty has worn off. Newer games tend to get played more than older ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first boardgames were Battlemasters, HeroQuest, Mutant Chronicles, Stratego, Risk, Field Command, Magic: The Gathering. I was a gamer back when I was a kid. Out of all those, M:tG is the only one I still play, largely because I don't have any of the other ones any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a Magic junky before getting heavy into Boardgames I still play a lot of Magic but spread my addition through all games instead of just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight was THE game that got me into game shops where I discovered new games and browsing the web where I found BGG and came upon even more new games. I used to be in leagues, have Sat. night Mage Knight games, and even brought my materials to school and played during lunch. I've gone from playing that often to hardly even looking at my figures. This isn't because I like the game any less, but because I've more or less lost touch with the people I used to play with. Anyone I game with these days are more fans of actual board games rather than miniature battles. Would I play often if someone asked? Hell yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

Carcassonne, the first game I played when discovering the hobby. Played the crap out of it, then discovered a whole world of games.I still like it and am looking forward to trying the Spielbox expansion I got this week.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Puerto Rico. That's simply because I went from being a hard-core Eurosnob to a hard-core Ameritrasher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it'll be Settlers of Catan for a lot of us. I still play Carcassonne now and again, which was my gateway game; Catan was second for me. I enjoyed getting into Catan and I enjoyed playing it, but I left it behind because of the dice, I think. Once I got more and more into modern games, I found abstracts and no-luck things, and Catan just stood no chance of getting picked once that happened. Fond memories, but I got rid of my copy. I'd play again it if I were at someone's house and they asked to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Carcasonne and Bohnanza we played a HUGE amount when we first came into the hobby. Carcassonne was new and exciting, and Bohnanza was very flexible on player count, and both were favourites of our host at the games night we regularly attended. Nowadays we're lucky to play either more than a couple of times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Munchkin because, well, it's Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 My actual favorite. How often I get to play just reflects how much other people like it, not my opinion

d10-2 Pretty much the same answer as #1. If I downgraded it, it would be because I artificially rated it to high to begin with. (I have downgraded games after playing them again following a long absence, though I don't think that's what you're asking.)

d10-3 Carcassonne got me into hobby board gaming, and it's still one of my top played games. There are others I don't play as often as I used to, though.

d10-4 Thurn and Taxis. This was one of the first games I bought and an early favorite, but after about 20 games, I just completely stopped having fun with it. (It's probably a good thing, too, since that snapped me out of the "collector" mentality I'd been in up to that point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Acquire
Settlers
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico

Our group played the living crap out of these games when we first got started.

However, as the group attendees morphed over time, we became more cult of the new focused. I think that was due primarily with the group becoming less overtly competitive and interested more in the shared social experience of figuring out something new. The harder it is, the more we joke in the future about it.

e.g. "Remember when Bob brought Eclipse to the weekend getaway and the power was out and we took hours trying to learn it while we were all dressed up in sweatshirts and coats trying to stay warm and we figured out we were playing it all wrong?!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to keep all my games in rotation still. As I got more games, and friends got more games, they started to get played less individually, but I still play them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Gotta answer these in detail:

Quote:
If you were considering one of these two games for #1 on your Top 10, which would win?

If I adore something so much, I WILL make it
get played. Oddly though, I'd pick my #1 game as Go, which I haven't
played for a long time. So, I guess I'll go with the 'lack of opportunity'
choice - because playing it under the optimal circumstances for which
it deserves its rating (able to be played out at a coffeehouse, with
people I already like, with a smoke) simply don't exist for me.

How much I can play something doesn't really factor in.

Quote:
If a game that you consider a "favorite" went more than 5 years without play would you downgrade its rating?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Too, I almost NEVER change ratings
(except in large bunches) if I haven't played a game recently.

Quote:
Do you still play the games that you considered favorites when you first came into the hobby?

Yes. But like everything, none too often. 5 years is actually pretty
close to my cycling time on games - no matter how much I like/liked them.

Quote:
Name a game that you played a lot when you first became a board game hobbyist that you don't play much now. Why do you think it has fallen by the wayside?

Things like Civilization and Dune, which I soloed a great deal when
young, have fallen out of favor - largely because they don't solo
terribly well. The love of seeing the game play out has drifted away,
so there's little to justify hitting them again. Hell, I USED to solo
Monopoly or Sorry a lot - and pretty much never would now.

All that said though, I'd gladly play anything I really liked
opposed, with the right company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
Groo and Munchkin.

Mostly because card games aren't quite as fun usually, and also because they often keep going and going for hours, not allowing another fun game to happen.

And because the novelty of the humor wore out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I may own and play games, even though they are not my favorites, because they fill niches and/or hit the table a lot. But my favorites are my favorites (the games I enjoy playing the most).

2 Even though I went over 10 years without playing Cosmic Encounter (I tend not to bring out OOP games, because it seems cruel), it was in the upper half of my top 10. Since the FFG release of CE, I am playing it again and it has moved to the bottom half of my top 10.

3 I have considered myself a board gamer since age 6. I don't play the games I played then, except for with children. The earliest board game, that I still play occasionally, is Acquire, which I first played sometime around age 10.

4 As I indicated in 3, I don't play the games from when I entered the hobby as a kid. Of the first euros I played, Carcassone is the one I don't play any more. I haven't played it since I started recording my plays on BGG in 2007. I still play frequently, and enjoy, the other 2 (of the big 3 gateway games) Ticket to Ride and Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't play Catan so much these days - other games have taken it's place, but it's got a spot in my heart!

Also BANG! which I played a lot with the kids at school where I tought for some time.

But then again, there are quite a few games that I played after I got into the hobby that I don't play that much now, seems like there is always one more game that is better than the old ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:

Settlers of Catan. I've moved on to other games, and am frequently frustrated by the dice in Catan to the point that I'd just rather not bother.

Settlers of Catan for me too. I still love dice games, but everyone stopped trading with me in Settlers when I always won. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice line of questioning this week Ben.

d10-1 My #1... - Will always be a game I adore. I rate a game based on the game itself and not how much I play it. That's why I adopted a revised version of the BGG Top 10 as have many others. It's on my profile page.

d10-2 A Fav going unplayed for 5 Years - Would I downgrade it? No way...if it is a favorite then I have likely not played it due to a lack of people that like that style of game or not having the right playgroup. Again the BGG rating system that leans towards how often a person plays a game doesn't work for me anymore.

d10-3 No I rarely play games I considered favourites when I first discovered the 'new wave' of gaming. The reason is that I have discovered the types of games I really like after many years on my journey(and the evolving industry)...Thematic and Euros with a little luck in them. Both genres were poor cousins back in 2000 with more dry Euros being the King. I haven't touched a Through the Desert, a Tigris and Euphrates (although that is a good one), or a Puerto Rico in forever.

d10-4 Well I could name any of those titles from Q3. The main reason is that I have evolved...meaning that I am now far more aware of what I love in games. When I first started out I was at the mercy of what my FLGS stocked and soon they mentioned BGG and then I was influenced by the dominant forces on BGG of the day. Euros were king and king in a big way...the boards were almost all about Euros. I mean they were the days when Settlers and Carcassonne were up near (if not in) the Top 10. T&E was certainly in the Top 10 and so too I think was Bohnanza! (yeah I know...cool game but Top 10???).

You look at the Top 10 now and perhaps more important the Top 50 and boy do we have diversity of style and mechanics getting high rankings.

It took about 3-5 years to realise that perhaps there was more than classic Euro design out there...

But of course the market was changing too. Days of Wonder from about 2002-2006 seriously changed the way gamers looked at the market I think. They almost defined what a 'gateway game' was and they were one of the first I think to say 'Hang on...components don't have to be bland wooden cubes!'

I think they deserve some of the credit for the high quality components of today and the success of their 'lighter game play' titles may well have been the catalyst for Euros seeing some hybrid elements and the use of dice.

What was the question again? Oh right I think my naval gazing has answered it...

Why don't I play those initial favourites anymore (short answer)?

I was influenced by the market, limited by what my FLGS stocked and didn't know what was yet to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Game that has fallen by the wayside . . . .

Blokus - rather play Ingenious since it scales better

Phoenix - I can only get people to play so many "colorful" abstracts

Cartagena - I like other Colvini games

4a. Games that I played early on and STILL play . . . .

Lost Cities - my brother and mother in law insist on playing it, OK

Battleline - I like it, so I usually carry it with me to game night for a quick 2p end of night game

Ingenious - scales well 2-4p, partnership possible, my favorite gateway game, likely my favorite Knizia game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.