Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got my grubby little hands on a copy of Escape with all the promos and the Illusion Expansion yesterday. After unboxing and sorting everything I am very pleased with the quality of the product. I was surprised to learn the curse cards are the same cardboard stock as the rest of the game (I was assuming they were, you know, cards, duh! Well you know what assuming does…). This singular surprise is actually something that I really like, no worries about having to sleeve them or people bending or tearing them. Overall the components are top notch.
While I eagerly await my first group play of this game tonight last night I was on my own, so on to the solo variant review! This review assumes (there’s that word again) you know the basic rules, if not you can head here: http://www.escape-queen-games.com/Rules/Escape_Spielregel_US... to familiarize yourself.
In the solo variant you get to use 7 dice instead of 5 and have 7 gems in the gem depot to clear out as best you can before trying to escape (or is it Escape! ?). I set up the game and placed the exit tile in the middle of the pile (as per the solo variant) and went to work. It’s surprising how much 2 extra help you in this game. I only became trapped once (where you have all black masks along with dice you have set aside for whatever you’re trying for) and had to break into the set aside dice to get out of it. I never had all black masks and had to use a ‘turn of fate’, again the extra 2 dice really offset this issue it feels like. I escaped the temple in the 5 minute mark in my first game, with 3 gems left in the depot (so needing to roll 4 keys to escape).
The second game I set up the same and played the 2nd soundtrack on my IPhone. As an aside I really like the extra soundtracks Queen has available on the website and look forward to (presumably (hmm another word that sounds like assumes…)) additional ones in the future. I found the first time through I was unsure what the gong sounded like, I had a couple false starts thinking, ‘was that the gong?’, until you actually hear the gong, it’s Gong Show loud, so my advice, if you’re not sure it’s the gong, it’s wasn’t the gong. So the 2nd game went basically like the first, beat it in ~5 minute mark again.
So trying to an additional challenge I placed the exit tile in the final 4 tiles per the 3+ players rules. This time I didn’t finish until after the 2nd gong ~7 minutes in. In the future when playing solo I will try the extra 3 gem (and possibly the extra 6 gem) variant along with the exit tile in the bottom part. I did play the standard (no curses/treasures/illusions/special chambers) version and know that by adding some/all of these would make it harder as well.
I love this game (which is why I bought it at a slight premium on the secondary market to get it before the holidays) and think it will see lots of play with the wife and my gaming groups. Hope this helps someone who’s on the fence about it to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great impression! I like the new soundtracks on the website too. So much so that splicing together new soundtracks from my music collection has become a hobby of mine recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discordjack wrote:
Great impression! I like the new soundtracks on the website too. So much so that splicing together new soundtracks from my music collection has become a hobby of mine recently.

What a great idea! Indian Jones soundtrack. Meet Escape gong timer sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.