Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
OK, I'm starting to use Windows 8.

They were right to fire their Windows exec this week - this GUI is insane.

I like the look, but you know you have a problem when a Windows user like me with 15 years of experience can't figure out how to shut down. I had to Google it.

Luckily I found the article below. But it took 4 steps to shut down, and the process is not intuitive at all. It's something a new user would never figure out without intense exploration of the interface (the hidden menu you need to start the process is really hard to find if you don't know its there)

How to, uh, turn Windows 8 off | Microsoft - CNET News
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57389397-75/how-to-uh-turn...

There is no way they are going to leave it like this - expect a service update that restores something like the old Start button (which of course was also a ridiculous name for that button)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love my Windows 7!

The "Charms Bar"...? Are they serious?!?!

shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb

jrbentley wrote:
The "Charms Bar"...? Are they serious?!?!

Lucky Charms had eight shapes. Coincidence? I think not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just downloaded upgraded to Windows 7, and am head over heels in love with it.

Windows XP was my favourite for many years, but since the hesitant leap, I've never looked back..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should be using Windows 95.

http://windows95tips.tumblr.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows 8 is passable as a phone/tablet OS, but for Microsoft to try to extend it out to the desktop was a colossal blunder. You just can't have a one size fits all solution for these things. Function follows form, but it also informs form. Unless there's a massive shift in the PC world to become basically large wall-mounted touchscreen tablets, this won't fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Lucky Charms had eight shapes. Coincidence? I think not!

I remember when Lucky Charms had four kinds of marshmallows scattered amongst the cat food. I knew that Lucky Charms were going south when they added the blue diamonds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
But you can turn your laptop into a tablet!!! Everyone wants that!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem

On smaller mobile devices the classic OS is cumbersome, hard to handle and generally too heavy to work properly.

Solution

Develop an OS with interface suitable for small portable devices that is both intuitive and suited for those devices.

Result: Mobile device use grows as do specific apps for that environment. Well done guys, free donuts all round.

Idiot problem

Hey mobile devices are now popular and people might be using them more than classic notebook/desktop devices.

Idiot solution

Lets reduce the classic devices to the limitations of the smaller portable devices and thereby make them all equal in their limitations.

Idiot Result: Classic devices cannot do anything you want them to do except what you can already on your mobile device. People turn away from classic devices and are forced into the pay per app model for everything they do.

Caveat: Yeah the result is idiotic for us the users but for the Microsoft, Apples and Googles of this world its great. Access to the inner engine is removed for the simple mortals and everyone has to pay to use their devices all the time. Its not the first time in history that something's functionalities are reduced so that the maker can get more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Less would be more.

I'm still working on Windows XP. Don't need no Windows Vista (gulp), 7 (zombie) or 8 (yuk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My new quest: how to change power options (sleep mode, etc). Looked in Settings, nothing. Guess I have to Google that too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alt-F4 no longer working?

I knew Windows 8 was trouble when a colleague of mine, software developer, system administrator and IT consultant for 20+ years told me of his experiences trying to set up Windows 8 as a server...

He ended up installing Windows Server 2008 R2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
did they remove the command prompt and become OS 6 now or what? I mean in earlier versions of Window it was always shutdown.exe

not that I really use windows that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Higginbottom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to all your Windows woes is ...... Linux! And it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Linux is even less intuitive to common users, especially new users.

Hard to say. I would bet most common users could figure out how to shutdown and change power management settings in Linux without having to google how to use the "less intuitive" UI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:
jimbrax wrote:

Hard to say. I would bet most common users could figure out how to shutdown and change power management settings in Linux without having to google how to use the "less intuitive" UI.

The problem here is that it really depends on the Window manager and how it is setup and what you come from.

And that reminds me of Lindows, that was a stopid idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows 8 is just stupid.

My laptop does not, nor will it ever have, a touchscreen. We had an unfortunate but mercifully short-lived flirtation with touchscreens in the 80s at my university. Just didn't work. What's wrong with using keypads, anyway?

And no, I do not own a smartphone nor an ipad.

I still love paper and pen...but please, don't think me a Luddite. Let the medium fit the message...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
Windows 8 is passable as a phone/tablet OS, but for Microsoft to try to extend it out to the desktop was a colossal blunder. You just can't have a one size fits all solution for these things. Function follows form, but it also informs form. Unless there's a massive shift in the PC world to become basically large wall-mounted touchscreen tablets, this won't fly.

I agree... What i find funny is that Dell and HP are coming out with laptop and netbooks that have touch screens. I can only assume this is a "shit, we have this tablet GUI on our laptops, but it sucks, so let's make a reason to have it, and put touchscreens where they have no business being."

I can't stand someone touching my laptop/computer monitor. Can you imagine working in photoshop or illustrator, and there are finger smudges on your screen. GAH!

I looked at Windows 8 at a computer store last week, and I was extremely unimpressed. Not only did they make several stupid things, but from what I understand, it's not so much that they took away the start button (well they did, sort of)

but the start button is now that Start up screen with those application blocks/icons that looks like it's sorta/kinda trying to rip off the ipad, but doing it in the most unorganized messy way possible.

I look at that and say "wtf?"

The worst part is, I am looking at a new home PC in the next 3-5 years, and possibly a new laptop in that time. Unless Windows 9 comes out soon, this will actually turn me away from such a purchse.

I used Windows Vista for awhile, and even though I know of it's failings and bloatedness... I'd take it any day over that mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:

And
you can't play decent video games on it.

So no, it's not the answer and Linux users should stop trying to pretend it is.
This sums it up. The rest doesn't matter.

Friend of mine is totally Linux addict. But then again, he loves building his own television. When going to LAN parties, they'll play games I've de-installed 10 years ago on Windows.

I love my Windows 7. So much better than Vista. And will probably outlive Win8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows 8 - The Maya were right after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can't you turn off the metro interface? and then it goes back to a 'mostly' windows 7 interface?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months ago, long before Windows 8's "official" release, I asked a computer-savvy friend at church, what he thought of it.

He told me that he never uses even-numbered releases of Windows (regardless of it's official name), because they've all been inferior compared to the previous version.

I kind of chuckled at him when he told me this, thinking it was some kind of goofy computer-tech superstition.

Now I'm not so sure. And Windows 7 is looking better every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing I do upon fenestrating a computer is to find the button that essentially says "Make everything look as much as Win 95/98 as possible", otherwise i end up with an OS that looks like its been designed by goddam Fisher-Price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Echo W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything I've read, the short answer is "no". Not permanently.

lj1983 wrote:
can't you turn off the metro interface? and then it goes back to a 'mostly' windows 7 interface?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
First thing I do upon fenestrating a computer is to find the button that essentially says "Make everything look as much as Win 95/98 as possible", otherwise i end up with an OS that looks like its been designed by goddam Fisher-Price.

At work, we use XP. The first time I log onto a new terminal, I do exactly this and switch off that gawd awful XP bubbly looking theme. BLECH.

Two weeks ago, my supervisor sat down at my terminal to fix some printer settings and said "woa, your layout is different".

I said "yea, that XP look is absolutely terrible, so I switched back to the more standard windows layout"

Apparently they are in the works to switch us to Windows 7, but are having trouble setting up some propriatary software we have with Windows 7. We'll get Windows 7 when Windows 10 has been out for a couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.