Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are 10 worker placement and/or engine building games that all sound really cool to me. Of them, I've only played Lords of Waterdeep once. How would you order this list from 1-10? 1 being "Best of this bunch" 10 being "Worst of this bunch". Thank you!

Homesteaders
Lords of Waterdeep
Glen More
Castles of Burgundy
Macao
Tournay
Santiago de Cuba
Alien Frontiers
Ora et Labora
Fleet

Edit: I just remembered that I also played Glen More once and enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only played Glen More and Macao. I would rate them just about even (7 out of 10 on the BGG scale), with Macao getting a very slight edge because I enjoy the dice selection mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords Of WaterDeep is the only one I played more than once - and a LOT more than once.

Never played Alien Frontiers, Ora or Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet is far and away the best of the bunch whistle

seriously though, taking Fleet out and ranking the ones I have played

Very Good:
Glen More (Great with 2-3, ok with 4,BAD with 5)
Lords of Waterdeep (better with more IMO, lightest of the bunch by far)
Homesteaders (2 plays, enjoyed them both)
Tournay (only played once)

Just Ok:
Castles of Burgundy

Hate:
Macao

I like Feld, just not those two.

Not Played:
Santiago de Cuba
Alien Frontiers
Ora et Labora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders - Great
Lords of Waterdeep - Good
Glen More - Very Good
Castles of Burgundy - Great
Macao - Great
Tournay - ?
Santiago de Cuba - ?
Alien Frontiers - ?
Ora et Labora - Very Good
Fleet - ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is better than all of them combined, you rate it a 9, and have it on your "want in trade" list. Buy that instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora has a lot to it, lot of interconnected bits, lots of bits in general. It feels like there's a lot I can do. The resource wheel is clever. It's a bit hard to see what your opponent has going on, with the cards across the table. It's a game I'm interested to play again, but it didn't fill me with "Zing!" the way Agricola did. My "2" of the bunch.

If I chose one from your list to play right now, it would be Castles of Burgundy. I've played it 2p and 4p, and I like it at both counts. I like the variety in the player boards and the resources that come out into the board. Even though the hexes are smaller than the cards in Ora, it's actually easier for me to see what my opponent has because of the icons and colors. I like rolling the dice, but also being able to do different things with them, including changing the result with modifiers. Not as heavy as Ora, but a better fit in terms of length for us, with enough depth to be interesting. My "1" of the bunch.

Had Glen More, played it 2p and 4p, but Walnut Grove fired it for us and we sold it. My "3" of the bunch.

Macao had some interesting things about it, but I felt a bit too constrained by the card limit on my player board, and I didn't much like setting it up, so we ended up selling it. #4 for me.

Have not played
Homesteaders
LoW
Tournay (we didn't like Troyes)
Alien Frontiers
Fleet
Santiago de Cuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Santiago de Cuba (nice game, good feel, good weight)
2 Glen More (good, but vaguely annoying in that planning can be hard)
3 Alien Frontiers (good but much, much less so with the AP prone)
4 Tournay (more of a ride than a game. Chaotic)

Unplayed:
Castles of Burgundy
Macao
Ora et Labora
Fleet (I talked myself out of buying this last week)
Homesteaders
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pearson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the top 5 (Homesteaders, LoW, Glen More, CoB, and Macao). If I were to order them from best to worst, it would probably be:

Macao - 1
Lords of Waterdeep - 2
Homesteaders - 3
Glen More - 4
Castles of Burgundy - 5

However, they have aspects that set them apart. Macao and Homesteaders definitely require a couple plays before you can be above worthless. They also feel a little more confrontational. LoW and CoB are pretty easy to pick up and start playing, but they don't feel as deep. In both, there is some confrontation in the form of denial, but you seem to mostly be doing your own thing. IMO, Glen More is around the middle. I've only played it once, but it strikes me as a mix of Carcassonne and 7 Wonders, but more thought-provoking than either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Agricola is better than all of them combined, you rate it a 9, and have it on your "want in trade" list. Buy that instead.

Haha! Yeah, I should just buy it... The only reason I've held off is because my uncle owns it. I kind of want to get/try Agricola: ACBaS instead for a lighter version to play with my wife. (I forgot to put it on the list) I also might want to hold off for Caverna: The Cave Farmers next year...

From my list, I'm leaning closest towards Homesteaders, LoW, Glen More, and Castles of Burgundy. Of co
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the BGG ratings already do this?

I like all these games except Macao which I never want to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all but Santiago de Cuba, here's how I'd rank the rest of them (best to worst = top to bottom):

1 Ora et Labora
2 Homesteaders
3 Fleet
4 Glen More
5 Alien Frontiers
6 Castles of Burgundy
7 Macao
8 Lords of Waterdeep
9 Tournay

I'd second the post that Agricola it better than all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy - 10
Macao - 10
Homesteaders - 8
Glen More - 7
Lords of Waterdeep - 7

P.S.: Can someone tell me how to insert the images of my ratings here instead of just black on white numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda CF
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of the games I've played more than once
1. Alien Frontiers
2. Glen More
2. Lords of Waterdeep

Glen More and Waterdeep tied for 2nd and 3rd.

Two of the game I've played once and enjoyed and would consider purchasing (if folks I knew didn't already have them...):
Castles of Burgundy
Homesteaders

Unplayed:
Ora et Labora
Fleet
Macao
Tournay
Santiago de Cuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora -- Our top WP game (or maybe Caylus is). The game that fired Agricola.
Alien Frontiers -- Very popular. If we want a game that lasts an hour, this is one of the ones we want. Excellent in the niche of 'waiting for the other table to finish' and 'teaching people to play WP games'.
Homesteaders -- Good game, on the list for the gaming society to buy, and would already get played more but that the person who owns it doesn't show up very often.
Tournay - played some. Nobody's favourite game, but a nice change.
Glen More -- played occasionally. There are other 1 hour games we like more, see Alien Frontiers
Castles of Burgundy -- played occasionally. Bought this year and never set the place on fire, as we had hoped.
Macao -- played occasionally.
Lords of Waterdeep -- meh. played until we were sure we didn't like it. A few people still do.
Santiago de Cuba - never played.

Fleet -- I grew up in the crash caused when there were no more codfish on the Grand Banks. The theme is way to depresssing and personal for me to ever want to play this game.

Note, when thinking why we don't play some of those games more often, the magic phrase 'wouldn't you want to be playing Caylus instead?' kept running through my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgreen02 wrote:
1 Santiago de Cuba (nice game, good feel, good weight)
2 Glen More (good, but vaguely annoying in that planning can be hard)
3 Alien Frontiers (good but much, much less so with the AP prone)
4 Tournay (more of a ride than a game. Chaotic)

Unplayed:
Castles of Burgundy
Macao
Ora et Labora
Fleet (I talked myself out of buying this last week)
Homesteaders
Lords of Waterdeep

I think you should rehave that conversation ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Homesteaders - not played sorry
Lords of Waterdeep - excellent game, just hits that sweet spot with accessability and replayability. Almost always on the table at games club and plays well with two.
Glen More - truly great game, maybe not that accessable (it'll take a game or two to familiarise) but has great depth.
Castles of Burgundy - on my wishlist, my FLGS couldn't get it with my last order but I'll be hitting it up soon.
Macao - not played sorry
Tournay - not played this one either
Santiago de Cuba - I quite enjoy this. More interactive that I first thought, quite a bit of screw thy neighbour. Not really convinced though but I've had some really, really fun games of this.
Alien Frontiers - great with 4 but the endgame can drag, can feel a little repetitive.
Ora et Labora - not played but kinda want to.
Fleet - good game but not worker placement. Cheap though, pick it up but this is comparing apples to pears.

On your list, for me it's Lords of Waterdeep for fun group games, Glen More for thoughtful nights in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Castles of Burgundy: is really good. Feels like an "adult" game.

(2) Alien Frontiers: i like alot, but can have more downtime than id like.

(3) Lords of Waterdeep: Very simple to learn, plays upto 5. Can seem a trifle boring.

Havent played the others on your list.

Id recommend also looking at Stone Age and Lancaster. Id rate both those games above alot of the other games on your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what's a really really good worker placement AND Tableau/Engine builder?
The Manhattan Project
I quite enjoy this one, and the art is fantastic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Fun post! Ive played 4:

Castles of Burgundy: one of my favorite games - deep, fun, lots of hard decisions, the real deal. Im a Feld fan for sure, and i like this one over Macao because Macao has a penalty condition at the end that is slightly frustrating, but having said that...

Macao: Love it! Brilliant dice mechanic - really fun game - deep and challenging.

Glen More: Another winner. All parts fit together very well, and for me it's just a joy to play that little game.

Lords of Waterdeep: Great game that could hold a spot in anyones collection because it works well with all numbers of players and it is light enough for non/new gamers to get a hold of - it's very straight forward, and imo lighter than the above three.

Also have some other suggestions - sorry if they have been mentioned above - I have come back to this post after work and havent re-read it.

Egizia: everyone ive played this with has liked it. Very interesting mechanic where you must place your workers "downstream" from previously placed workers - but the cards displayed on the stream are never in the same order. Very fun game that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Hansa Teutonica: Only indirect worker placement, i suppose, but this game is just awesome. So open! You just want to do so much. And it has an action point allowance system, and sort of tech tracks, if you will. It just really hits the sweet spot. Great design with very little luck.

Age of Empires Drovers III (whatever its called now)- Not everyone likes this one because they threw in an element of luck (flipping the exploration tiles) that doesnt seem to belong with the rest of the mechanics. I really love this game though - its great fun and everything flows well. I hate the graphic art choices though - and the soldiers shooting other settlers seems slightly out of place for this euro - like it really doesnt need it (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders, Castles of Burgundy and Macao are all fantastic. The auction in Homesteaders is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have just bought Lords of Waterdeep, played it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Even my non-gamer GF played and said "It's just like Monopoly but actually FUN!" (I cringed just a bit when she started the sentance but in the end I have to say I agree)
Haven't played the others although I've taken a look at Ora et Labora and it looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Here are 10 worker placement and/or engine building games that all sound really cool to me. Of them, I've only played Lords of Waterdeep once. How would you order this list from 1-10? 1 being "Best of this bunch" 10 being "Worst of this bunch". Thank you!

Homesteaders
Lords of Waterdeep
Glen More
Castles of Burgundy
Macao
Tournay
Santiago de Cuba
Alien Frontiers
Ora et Labora
Fleet

Edit: I just remembered that I also played Glen More once and enjoyed it.

Of those I have played:
1) Ora et Labora
2) Homesteaders
3) Castles of Burgundy
4) Macao
(You can't go wrong with any of the above, in my opinion)
5) Alien Frontiers
6) Lords of Waterdeep (but this is definitely the easiest of the six options...by a long stretch)

I haven't played the other 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played half of these. In order:

Macao - a very neat delayed gratification mechanic. And reasonably fast-paced game.
Ora et Labora - Long game is long, and has way too many types of resources. But if that's what you like, this one's great.
Homesteaders - Surprisingly tight auction game with a lot of options.
---I recommend the above 3.

Alien Frontiers - Dice placement with a lot of inter-player theft and struggle. Didn't seem like anything special to me.
Castles of Burgundy - Interesting drafting mechanic, but feels like your standard Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Murka wrote:
I have just bought Lords of Waterdeep, played it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Even my non-gamer GF played and said "It's just like Monopoly but actually FUN!" (I cringed just a bit when she started the sentance but in the end I have to say I agree)
Haven't played the others although I've taken a look at Ora et Labora and it looks interesting.

Haha! I made the same Low/Monopoly connection the other week too! Players buy buildings and other players use them and the owner makes a small profit. It got me to thinking that there could possibly be a Monopoly variant that introduces resources and players actually receive some sort of benefit for landing on another player's property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.