Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle and Florence Nightingale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Turcanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
My name is Muerte! Not Mr. Muerte, JUST MUERTE!!
badge
Hearthstone is LOVE, Hearthstone is LIFE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've serached in the forum but did not find anything about this topic so here goes!

After a big battle took place [4 flags vs 4 flags], the attacker won. The defender had lost 4 units. The defender decided to use Florence to save his 4 units and then said that the attacker is not entiteled to any spoils given that he did not loose any units and therefore he did not loose any flags.

So does the above situation happen or the following:

- we follow the sequence of the events: battle occured -> battle was lost by the defender -> 4 dead units -> 2 dead flags -> spoils of war to the attacker -> then Florence -> the defender recovers 4 dead units -> the defender recovers lost flags [probably not because Florence only mentions units but since units are related to flags...]?

My money is on: spoils to the attacker, 2 lost flags for the defender, 4 recovered units with the discarded Florence. What about your money?

Thank you for any input on this! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should not be any flags left from the defender. The attacker won the battle. By virtue of winning the battle the attacker collects spoils. The Florence Nightingale card does not prevent spoils from being collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's do this in order.

Battle takes place. The attacker wins the battle. The defender loses ALL of his Armies. The attacker loses an Army for every two Units lost. The attacker takes Loot from the defender (in this case, one Loot, unless the defender had the Great Wall).

NEXT, abilities kick in. If one of the sides is China, he can get one of his Units back. If one of the sides chooses to play Florence Nightingale, he gets all of his Units back. Either way, these abilities are activated AFTER Battle is over (and in fact Nightingale specifically says "after a battle", emphasis mine).

1) Battle, 2) Resolve battle, 3) Save Units.

Edit: And to clarify this further, the loser of the battle loses all Armies, there is nothing he can do about it. The winner loses an Army for each two lost Units, there is nothing he can do about it. Saving the Units does not save the Armies, there is currently no game mechanic to save Figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Turcanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal clear! Thank you!

Apparently one of the problems was that we understood that the "1 flag for 2 units lost" rule apllied both to the attacker and the defender...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebik80 wrote:

Apparently one of the problems was that we understood that the "1 flag for 2 units lost" rule apllied both to the attacker and the defender...

Out of curiosity, where would the loser's rescued Armies go? They cannot stay on the square of the battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
The winner loses an Army for each two lost Units, there is nothing he can do about it.

Just a quick note that the winner cannot lose his last army figure in the battle from unit losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Turcanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
sebik80 wrote:

Out of curiosity, where would the loser's rescued Armies go? They cannot stay on the square of the battle...

They would simply be pushed back to an adjacent square, following the non-diagonal rule whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebik80 wrote:
They would simply be pushed back to an adjacent square, following the non-diagonal rule whistle

From a design perspective, that would be a terrible idea- the winner could attack them again and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Turcanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's aboslutely true but then it depends on who will move first next turn, the movement speed, the ability to move [or stop] over water. Nevertheless, I can't believe I missed this obvious rule.

I guess that's what happens when you don't play a game for over a year and then, after you play again, you think you remeber every rule and you just skim over the rule book... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebik80 wrote:
I guess that's what happens when you don't play a game for over a year and then, after you play again, you think you remeber every rule and you just skim over the rule book... cry

Two words: Universal Head. Get their rules summary from the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.