Hide
6 Posts

Axis & Allies 1941» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aircraft Carriers and Sea Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RebelSurf 86
msg tools
I'm new to the game, so excuse me if this seems like a simple question.

If I have a carrier with planes and it gets attacked at sea, do the planes join in on the attack or do they go down with the ship if it is destroyed?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The planes will defend in the air along with the carrier. Of course, they can't hit any attacking subs if there is no defending destroyer.

If the carrier is sunk but one or more planes survive, the surviving plane(s) will be able to move up to one space during the Noncombat Move phase of the same turn to find a place to land. If a landing space is not available, the plane(s) will be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RebelSurf 86
msg tools
Thanks for the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There seems to be a contradiction in the Rulebook on the subject of Aircraft Carrier combat: on page 13 it states that "guest" fighters on a carrier (those belonging to another friendly player) remain as cargo on the carrier during the Combat Movement phase and "they cannot take part in combat and are destroyed if the carrier is destroyed."

But then on page 26 it says "whenever a carrier is attacked, its fighters (even those belonging to friendly powers) are considered to be defending in the air and fight normally..."

Those statements contradict each other. (To me the second entry sounds more realistic.)

There is another rule relating to Aircraft Carriers that, though I understand the rule, I don't quite understand the reasoning: when a carrier makes a combat move why do the fighters have to "launch before the carrier moves and move independently"?(page 13) Why can't the carrier, for example, move 2 spaces then allow the fighters to launch and move their movement allowance. This would increase their range, which is one of the purposes of carriers, no?

(BTW, Kevin, I like your answer to the OP's question; is this covered in the rulebook?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
northjack wrote:
There seems to be a contradiction in the Rulebook on the subject of Aircraft Carrier combat: on page 13 it states that "guest" fighters on a carrier (those belonging to another friendly player) remain as cargo on the carrier during the Combat Movement phase and "they cannot take part in combat and are destroyed if the carrier is destroyed."

But then on page 26 it says "whenever a carrier is attacked, its fighters (even those belonging to friendly powers) are considered to be defending in the air and fight normally..."

Those statements contradict each other. (To me the second entry sounds more realistic.)

This is not a contradiction, as the statements apply to different situations.

When a carrier attacks, any guest fighters must remain on board as cargo, because it is not their turn. This is true of any unit belonging to your ally that happens to be in the same sea zone that you're attacking, because different powers can't attack together.

However, allied powers can defend together, so if a carrier with guest fighters is attacked, those fighters will defend along with it.

northjack wrote:
There is another rule relating to Aircraft Carriers that, though I understand the rule, I don't quite understand the reasoning: when a carrier makes a combat move why do the fighters have to "launch before the carrier moves and move independently"?(page 13) Why can't the carrier, for example, move 2 spaces then allow the fighters to launch and move their movement allowance. This would increase their range, which is one of the purposes of carriers, no?

Carriers do increase the range and flexibility of fighters by giving them additional places to land. However, something can't be in two different places at the same time. A game turn is a finite amount of time, and the movement value of a unit represents how far it may travel in that time. Any given fighter may not both be flying and sitting on the deck of a carrier simultaneously; it must do one or the other. Allowing a fighter to launch after its carrier moves would be allowing it to ride on the carrier during its turn, then go back in time and use that same time period to fly somewhere else.

northjack wrote:
(BTW, Kevin, I like your answer to the OP's question; is this covered in the rulebook?)

Yes, on pages 19 and 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack North
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications, Kevin. It's easy for me to overlook something right in front of my face sometimes. (And I've been playing wargames, off and on, for probably 50 years!! I used to have the classic version of A&A, along with dozens of other Avalon Hill and Strategy and Tactics games, now long gone. Some I only played a couple times and some never played! Now that I'm retired I have a little more time to play again, though maybe my brain is becoming addled!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.