BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Metal Gear, Psi-Ops games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi I wanted to ask you all your help again. I like playing computer games like metal gear, Psi-ops and Area 51 to name a few. I like game where sneak in under cover darkness and take out your target and complete a mission. I wanted to know if there where boardgames like this.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I am reading your request correctly, a lot of card games will fit your bill. The boardgame equivalent of what you are describing is any game with hidden elements when you get a chance to blindside your opponent(s). Unless you are specifically looking for mission or mission-themed games... cuz then I am at a loss.

Something like Spades or Hearts would be simple and great. Also consider imperfect information or blind bidding games like Aladdins Dragons or even Capitol.

Area majority games like Wongar and El Grande give you chances to suddenly catch up and/or pummel your opponents into submission. Taj Mahal and Ivanhoe have a great element of "Crap, I didn't know you had that many..."

The list goes on and on.

Come to think of it, you might really enjoy Colossal Arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the way, if you have a relatively dark sense of humor and a little patience with a good-but-difficult-to-get-used-to set of controls, I highly recommend Manhunt (for the XBox at least). Also, I found the single-player campaign in Halo to have a lot of cool sniping opportunties. I didn't enjoy Sniper Elite nor Far Cry though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the closest I've played to literally being like the games you describe is the "Kill Team" variant of Warhammer 40K. You get a small squad of badazzes and your opponent gets 3-4 times as many grunts. But his guys move randomly until they see or hear your guys (it's a little more detailed than that, but that is the general feeling). You are trying to get to the objective to blow it up, or assassinate the leader or something. It even has an RPG aspect where you can buy powerups after successful misisons. And since the games are so small, it is really easy to collect and paint your small band of operatives.

Quick warning though, even if you like the game, do not get sucked in to playing full-on 40K. The main game has horrible squidgy rules, and the company that publishes it will try to take all of your money forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for squad type tactical games, take a look at Wetwar (Blackpowder Games). It sports a mercernary bio/cyberpunk theme. It is a DIY DTP but should assemble pretty easily and is very cheap at $5.00. Dungeon Twister is also an excellent squad-type fighty game, but has a fantasy theme and is very puzzle-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When I was playing Psi-Ops on the xbox there was a level where it was a factroy full of boxes and guards that would walk up and down. And the mission was try and make it past the guards without them seeing you and setting of the alarm and try and kill you. So I thoght is there a game where your a spy, ninja or whatever where you have a map and guard that move back and forward and you have to sneak past them. Has to be a board game.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Graham(Dorque)

Hi Graham I like the last few line of you post about gameworkshop wanting all your money. I use to play warhammer 40k and your right the take all you money in the end. That way I started playing board game that you just buy have found with and not have to by hundred of pound on miniatures to make up a force to play with.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
rob1874 wrote:
I thought is there a game where your a spy, ninja or whatever where you have a map and guard that move back and forward and you have to sneak past them.

That's what I was afraid of. The mechanism you are describing is more like a puzzle--as are most video games at heart. I think whatever you find that is close will be incredibly mathematical/optimization-based and will not be as satisfying as doing the same thing in a video game.

Good luck though and I hope someone proves me wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It cant be that hard. Ok lets say you have a gaming board that is design like a factory floor or secret base. You have a basic looking floor with pictures of wooden or metal boxes on the board piled in a way where you can move around them or hide behided them. And also on the board are solders moving around in fix way. Just like metal gear when you see a solder moving from one side of the level to the next. Sneak need to get pasted him without getting spoted. So he would hide and wait for the solder move past him sneak to the other side of the level without been spoted. In the board game you would have two choices sneak up on the solder and try and kill him or sneak past them. I have ideas for a board game like Metal Gear or Psi-Ops it just trying to put it into a way people will understand and have fun playing. But if there is a board game like this then what the point making another.

I hope understand what I am trying to find out.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob:

Check out "Hour of Glory". It's all about infiltrating a German base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my favorite game of all time, but check out Frag by Steve Jackson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two suggestions would be Break the Safe and Netrunner. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1301
Netrunner is out of print but easy to get on eBay. It's all about trying to sneak into the information databases of an evil corporation that's trying to find and kill you, like the movie Johnny Mnemonic (terrible movie, but good representation of the cyberpunk genre.)
Break the Safe is available at toy stores. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7824

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi Rodeo Doctor I have frag and I did not like it much. The problem was me and my friend got a copy of frag and could not work out a set of card that came with the game.Because there was nothing in the rules about them. The only thing I really was the miniatures you got.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi John Break the Safe sound interesting it is a shame that I could not read the rule. Do you have this game yorself.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven S
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What about Doom? It's not an exact match, but the feel is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you need "The Great Museum Caper"

One of you is a thief, sneaking into a museum to steal stuff, the other players are the security team trying to stop you.

Thief has secret movement, and moves after each other player.

Or maybe Scotland Yard - this time Mr X is rushing around london avoiding the chasing detectives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW for all those people who have an xbox or playstation and haven't bought Psi-ops, it is one of the most criminally underated games of all time.
I picked it up for £5 based on a trusted magazine review and could not believe it hadn't been a bigger success.
A superb physics engine lets you throw boxes and people around with your mind; it's the closest you'll ever get to being a jedi night (and this includes playing any of the star wars games).
It's laughably cheap now, go and buy a copy and maybe we'll get a sequal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have to say your right Psi-Ops is very underated game. From start to the end it keep you hooked. Part from the star wars games I have never seen a game that put force power and first person shooting together in this way. I hope they do anyother game like this. It see worth playing and as it cheap give it a go.

Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gray
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi I have decided that beacuse I could not find what I was looking for. That I going to make it myself, I have a few rules running in head and I am about start working on the gaming board. If anyone has any tip on any type of rule for this game let me know.

Just one more thing I would like to ask you for some more help.Does anyone know it there is any place on the web or in a book that would have Kung Fu Move images drawn like the ones on Kung Fu Fighting card game.It not for this game that I am working on its for something that I just playing around with.

Click the image and you will see the artwork better.
Rob1874

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
southseasnurse wrote:
If you are looking for squad type tactical games, take a look at Wetwar (Blackpowder Games). It sports a mercernary bio/cyberpunk theme. It is a DIY DTP but should assemble pretty easily and is very cheap at $5.00.

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidance!

I'm new to these forums and its rules so I wanna ask if anyone is interested in various pic of my biopunk "epic"?

Later,

Del Esau
Black Powder Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
I'm new to these forums and its rules so I wanna ask if anyone is interested in various pic of my biopunk "epic"?

Yep... upload them to the game page here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21144

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I uploaded two covers at 300 width and a larger one of the Core Rulebook that I uploaded by mistake (too large in size)

I'm gonna get a pic together of the game in play/displayed. Gotta put together another hardcopy, for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Del, can you give us any idea what Art of War will be like? Mano-a-mano like Wetwar or will the scale be different? I'm always interested in sci-fi games, especially those not linked to existing mass-market franchises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
southseasnurse wrote:
So Del, can you give us any idea what Art of War will be like? Mano-a-mano like Wetwar or will the scale be different? I'm always interested in sci-fi games, especially those not linked to existing mass-market franchises.

Art of War will be a classical resource accumulation, research, and conquest, with the board representing orbital Earth. It's a revamp of one of my early designs from when I started. My first games were mostly one-board "risk like" designs. As to the scale, one Buka team is represented solely by one piece on the board ... as the concept stands right now.

There will be research stations, Samurai, gunships, random card effects that effect the entire game, and more. (I'm thinking of putting the random effects as cards played on the center Earth board space, such as "Pandemic" or "Research Breakthrough".)

This particular product will not be greatly expanded like Infantry or Machyna.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.