Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buying a Red Star rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd Eye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

In our game that has just ended now, I won by taking over two HQ's and eliminating a faction to give me enough resource cards to buy a fourth star (I had already won a previous game and so only started with one star for my HQ).

My question relates to whether or not I should have won in this situation. What I did is capture the two HQ's and, upon capturing the second HQ this eliminated the Enclave of the Bear. I then inherited the resource cards (2 of them), I already had one resource card from a previous turn, and then, at the end of my turn, drew a fourth card from the stock pile.

At this point do I win by trading in the cards for a red star (this is what I actually did) or do the other players get a chance to try and capture some HQ's before the start of my next turn?

I guess what I am asking is when can I buy a star; at any point as long as it is my turn or at the very start of my turn (before I do any attacks)?

This win allowed me to open the "sign 2 times" and "all minor cities" packs and I am wondering if we did everything correctly.

Thanx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy rulebook, page 8 wrote:
Red Star tokens can be purchased at the start of your turn by turning in
4 Resource cards (regardless of the number of coins on those cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first three games saw people obtaining enough cards to buy a star and winning through this assumption.

The star is bought at the beginning of the turn, not at the moment of territory card-taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Eye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks. I'll have to think about how I confess my sins to the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you were (a) sitting on the rulebook at the time and (b) fully aware what you were doing was wrong, I'd just tell them.....

Depends what the reaction was when you traded the cards in. It appears that nobody challenged your "right" to do it, so I'm guessing that everyone at the time believed that was the correct way to play. I always feel that if everyone is playing the same rules, then there's no problem since you were all playing the same game.

It gets sticky when - although you are all playing to the same rules - one person is fully aware the rules being played are wrong but is keeping quiet because it benefits them to do so.

But it sure sounds like you were all positive you were playing the right way, so I'd say just tell them "I was reading the rules this weekend and realised WE'D been playing it wrong - WE should be doing this from now on."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heman
msg tools
I had a similar question I just put up in the FAQ thread. We had a player hold 8 coins on game two and turn them both in at the same time (also the coin deck ended up being depleted), and then turned in both sets of 4 for more stars. This "seems" fine to me, but I wasn't sure if there was a limit on red star turn ins like there is on troop turn-ins from the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually specifically says that you can buy more than one star in the rule book .

With troops you're limited to 10 stars worth per turn, but that's it really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.