Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Personal Crisis Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Sorry about image quality, they're downgraded to around 20% so I can upload them here. Full Quality in download link.

Download Link for Personal Crisis Pack

PERSONAL CRISIS CARDS :

You might have seen the "Flashback" cards that were in the Opera House set. Well, there were very few of them and they weren't really balanced but the idea was good.

These cards are thematically a bit different though. They deal with the smaller more personal tough situations that rose around Galactica.

HOW THEY WORK :

Gameplay wise this is also different to how the Flashbacks worked. You draw the normal amount of Trauma tokens when you begin (3 tokens) and a Personal Crisis Card. This card is kept hidden from other players.
You draw one Personal Crisis in the beginning of the game, and another in the Sleeper Phase (before dealing new Loyalty Cards). If you are executed you always draw one Personal Crisis Card (unless the Crossroads Phase has already begun or has passed)

On the PC card is an Action and a Reaction. Now they have varying consequences as there are over 80 cards. Action is used like a regular Action and Reaction is used to react to whatever the Card tells you to react to. YOU NEVER HAVE TO REACT to anything, it might just be a convenient way to get rid of the card.

Since most of the PC cards are bad for you or the humans, why should you even try to play it if you are a human? Well, on the upper left is a number to how many Trauma tokens you'll have to draw in in Boxing the Line on Crossroads phase, (right before everyone has revealed their trauma tokens to see if they are eliminated). So if you don't want to see yourself eliminated you better figure out a way to get rid of the card.
The cards also have varying amount of consequences and they are not all bad. Here's a quick glimpse to see what the upper left number represents.

0 = Beneficial for Humans
1 = Minor Crisis
2 = Normal Crisis
3 = Major Crisis

There are even a few that go over 3 but they are very uncommon.

The cards provide nice variety and unpredictability to the game but their main purpose is to increase the level of paranoia in the game. You'll be forced to make choices to either look suspicious playing a card that's bad for the humans but in the long run you'll want to get rid of to help the humans win by not being eliminated. Or rely solely on luck and hope to not draw antagonistic or splat tokens in the Crossroads Phase when the Personal Crisis cards are revealed.
I have compiled the whole Season 1 here. The objective is to one day have all 4 season compiled. But without further to do here are the previews, enjoy.

PRINTING:

When printing on A4 paper set to print as "Full screen photograph printing" to get the right size
(mine is in different language, but it's the second from top)

All my expansions:
Character Pack
Personal Crisis Cards
New Minor Titles, Admiral Cards etc.
Alternate Opera House Skill Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Yorck
msg tools
I like your cards, and the idea, that every charakter has a personal crisis/goal. But we don't like the Crossroad phase, we never played with it because we don't like the elimination issue.
So we can't issue your idea!
Is there any other possibility to use your cards without the Crossroads phase?
i would like to use them, and i would like to translate them into german. do you have any (.psd) templates, which you would share/ give with/to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Well, I don't know how the base game rules state it, but we play it so that even if you are eliminated you can still win with the team you're on. The last phase lasts for about 20mins so it's not that much downtime. It shouldn't be that bad. And it's really the only real deterrent into getting rid of your trauma tokens.

Sending you the templates shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Yorck
msg tools
Philoman wrote:
Well, I don't know how the base game rules state it, but we play it so that even if you are eliminated you can still win with the team you're on. The last phase lasts for about 20mins so it's not that much downtime. It shouldn't be that bad. And it's really the only real deterrent into getting rid of your trauma tokens.
Sending you the templates shortly.

Thanks for sending me the templates.
I know, that Elimination the only real deterrent is for getting rid off the trauma tokens. But we don't like this option.
I found and thought about an other variant about to deal with trauma tokens.
An other question: Why to you deal out two Personal Crisis Card (PCC)? Is one PCC not enough? Are the PCC discard, if you are executed, and afterwards you get a new one, (or do you have three PCC after execution and postsleeper)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
One PC card is not enough I think. Also, If you are executed you discard all of your PC cards. If revealed as a Cylon (due to execution or using the Action on the card) you also discard all of your PC cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look intersting, I like the idea.
Is it possible to upload versions that are readable though? I had to click the full really high resolution ones, then zoom all the way out on my browser to actually read them.

Some of them seem overpowered or need rules clarifications/templating properly though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I can read them on my monitor with 1920x1200 resolution ok. I don't know about others though. Also they are made for printing in mind so I don't know if there's really that much to be done.
Or did you mean the previews? They are poor I agree. Just download the pack and you can read them properly.

Which cards do you think are overpowered or need clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philoman wrote:

Elimination means you lose immediately.

Unless you get given extra trauma (during the game or at Crossroads) you're never at risk of being eliminated anyway - playing one of your initial three trauma into Crossroads leaves you with at most 2 trauma after discarding.

One of the complaints about Crossroads is that, with luck, it's possible to take another player from 0 trauma to elimination with no way for that player to prevent it (except by stacking the Crossroads cards...) - that's the main incentive for ditching trauma: to make it harder to snipe you at Crossroads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chat with XO - the wording for this is odd. I think it means that between the human players 3 piloting cards must be discarded (which isn't something done in BSG anywhere else).

A number of cards require specifically female characters/players, I think you mean character every time. Deceiving Love for instance, presumably should be female character. Some of these only really make sense if they are a male character who gets them. Hidden Romance makes the male/female balance better, although it may be too clunky to do every time, so not sure quite how to fix that.

Deceiving Love - female Pilot is too restrictive I'd say.

In Choose Your Way, what does stranded mean? Don't understand this reaction at all.

Don't Trust Her - I think the discards should be any cards, not specifically Treachery.

a Helpful Speech - dice rolls with 7 or less seem pretty harsh.

Illness revealed - are the loyalty cards after receiving PCCs?

Man Down - Do pilots whose viper gets destroyed normally get executed?

Never Lend Books - seems odd to say "his" in the text.

Prophetic Dream seems much too strong (although I could say that for a lot of these cards)

Reluctant to Tell - ?!? Swap the plus/minus effects round at least.

Remembered as a Hero - remove the word "for". And change "Be executed" to "You are executed".

Returning the Lighter - the reaction is really really specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
KraZug wrote:
Chat with XO - the wording for this is odd. I think it means that between the human players 3 piloting cards must be discarded (which isn't something done in BSG anywhere else).

This is true, although I don't see a problem with this some might.
KraZug wrote:

A number of cards require specifically female characters/players, I think you mean character every time.

D'oh. That was on my to do list at one time. Forgot about it I guess, yes they are all supposed to say character instead of player.
KraZug wrote:

Deceiving Love - female Pilot is too restrictive I'd say.

Supposed to be restrictive. You're supposed to use the Action most of the time on it.
KraZug wrote:

In Choose Your Way, what does stranded mean? Don't understand this reaction at all.

This is something I should've addressed beforehand. "Stranded" is the same as Helo's negative ability Stranded. You are not on the board, may not move, be moved or take Actions. After returning from being stranded always return to Hangar Deck (on New Caprica if Galactica is not in orbit move to Resistance HQ)
KraZug wrote:

Don't Trust Her - I think the discards should be any cards, not specifically Treachery.

This is supposed to work as a shot at looking at one Loyalty Card from a player (after dealing a new one), there is the small chance that she has Treachery though and can deny you.
KraZug wrote:

a Helpful Speech - dice rolls with 7 or less seem pretty harsh.

You did look at the Trauma number right? It's a 4 which is in only a few cards, means it has harsh consequences.
KraZug wrote:

Illness revealed - are the loyalty cards after receiving PCCs?

Yes. This is crucial to the cards as well. Edited it now in the opening post.
KraZug wrote:

Man Down - Do pilots whose viper gets destroyed normally get executed

In our games, yes. Base game rules no. You'll have to decide what to do with this card in your games.
KraZug wrote:

Never Lend Books - seems odd to say "his" in the text.

Was thinking of going through the whole line of cards replacing "his" with "their" but then didn't really see the point.
KraZug wrote:

Prophetic Dream seems much too strong (although I could say that for a lot of these cards)

Well, you use this on a player that's not under suspicion and you've soft revealed yourself.
KraZug wrote:

Food is usually the thing that is the least threat in any game, so I think this is fine as is.
KraZug wrote:

Remembered as a Hero - remove the word "for". And change "Be executed" to "You are executed".

Noted.
KraZug wrote:

Returning the Lighter - the reaction is really really specific.

Yes. And also really really strong. And it's a positive card so even if you use the Action on it or do nothing with it you're still winning.
---

Thanks for your input. Also if you would like to tailor these specifically for your gaming group since different groups like different kind of balance I can give you the templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philoman wrote:
KraZug wrote:

Food is usually the thing that is the least threat in any game, so I think this is fine as is.

My point here (apart from the power level) was that Strategic Planning should be beneficial for humans. So the 5+ should be +1 Food, not the -2 Food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarr Man
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
But the point of the whole card is to not be beneficial but detrimental to humans. "Reluctant to Tell" should give some clues to that. There's the off chance here that a Cylon would reveal themselves by buffing his die roll and then actually end up helping the humans by rolling a 1 or a 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philoman wrote:

KraZug wrote:

This is something I should've addressed beforehand. "Stranded" is the same as Helo's negative ability Stranded. You are not on the board, may not move, be moved or take Actions. After returning from being stranded always return to Hangar Deck (on New Caprica if Galactica is not in orbit move to Resistance HQ)

How about the phrase "Stranded Off-Board". Do you have a page or two of "rules" to accompany this? If so you can then define "Stranded off board" in exact detail, meanwhile the phrase is pretty much self explanatory and "like Helo" will confirm that in that rule-set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.