Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing face to face tomorrow night and was wondering which is the best scenario for two new players? We both have played Guns of August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I recommned you start with scenarion 1 from 1914. The rules are 99% the same as GoA. The other two scenarios both have trenches which add some more variation. Feel free to post your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first scenario and recommend it. The rules are pretty streamline, but not having to deal with trenches the first time you play is helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did play the scenario. Matthew was the AH & I was attacking as the Russians.
Since we had played Guns of August before, we were rolling along quickly. The supply rule and being linked to the railways is a very interesting difference and one that occasionally had each of us backing up and rethinking an attack when supply was looked at.
The game was fun and finished in the evening.
It was a very bloody affair. Matthew pointed out that our corps were reduced to companies by the end of the game. The dead pile was very large for each side. Some army activation chips did not have but a single counter to activate.
In the end, as the Russians, I took 5 named locations. Matthew countered that with a late game push into the available western Russia spaces. He pushed my troops off of the railway and his cavalry claimed on of my named locations. I responded by cutting off his supply the next turn, but the damage was done. On turn 10 he attacked one of my stacks in a Russian named location and eliminated them, giving him two Russian locations to my 5 and the win. A very well played game.
I already know how I would play this different next time. Both sides really need to watch their train tracks and sit on them! This will stop sweeping cavalry moves by keeping them out of supply. A very important tactic!
Looking forward to that very large third scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.