Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I soloed this to learn it. I've played the two predecessor titles in the series.

I positioned my Americans near the eastern edge in good terrain to try and run interference on incoming Germans. The pre-game setup left the Germans with both infantry regiments already reduced. The Americans did a good job of holding their own, kind of holding off the Germans from their more effective attacks via their ZOCs (something I did to greater effect in this session than I had thusfar in the series). The Germans finally chipped away at the positions, and sent the few remaining reduced Americans fleeing for the western edge and in the process handily captured the Fuel depot.

The Americans barely held on until their new reinforcements were able to stream in at the beginning of Turn 2, at which point the last few original US units were eliminated. I should have probably bolted for the exit with the four onboard GE units (for the victory conditions), but I didn't think to do so at the time.

The Americans established themselves in good terrain across the river and used their battalion of Shermans to good effect (and I was forgetting on stacking the defense modifiers, so they were more effective across the river than they should have been!) and both sides settled into slugging each other. The appearance of the GE infantry regiments helped the stalemate some, but the US units stalled for time and ran around enough to run out the clock (too few GE units left to be able to exit for victory).

The fifth turn fell with one reduced US armor battalion and a US inf battalion pinning the reduced and redoubtable *501 armor to the map edge with their ZOCs. US win.

A little bit gamey (ZOCs and playing tag) and fortunes seemed to swing back and forth (I thought both sides had lost it completely at various times). Pretty fun and more balanced than I feared. The chit-pull-via-face-cards can make for some unpredictable turn sequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.