8 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules query - what happens when a player is eliminated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eoin Gibb
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Played a couple of good 4 player games last night.
Came up with some problems that the rules dont seem to cover.

One - when a player is eliminated (for whatever reason) does this change the draw rates of t=new techs?

Two - if a player is eliminated from a four player game - what happens regarding diplomatic relations? In a 3 player game ambassadors are normally not allowed - but they are in a 4 player game. When you transition from a 4 to a 3 player game due to a player being eliminated do you remove ambassadors from play? Or do you continue to use them (thus allowing a 2 on 1 scenario to possibly eventuate)

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eoingibb wrote:
Played a couple of good 4 player games last night.
Came up with some problems that the rules dont seem to cover.

One - when a player is eliminated (for whatever reason) does this change the draw rates of t=new techs?

Two - if a player is eliminated from a four player game - what happens regarding diplomatic relations? In a 3 player game ambassadors are normally not allowed - but they are in a 4 player game. When you transition from a 4 to a 3 player game due to a player being eliminated do you remove ambassadors from play? Or do you continue to use them (thus allowing a 2 on 1 scenario to possibly eventuate)

Cheers!

I would say yes to both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
eoingibb wrote:

Players completely eliminated from the board still have production, can still research technologies and are still scored at the end. Tech draw, ambassadors and effective player count are unaffected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Players completely eliminated from the board still have production, can still research technologies and are still scored at the end. Tech draw, ambassadors and effective player count are unaffected.

Agree. Or, to put in simpler terms, players are never eliminated. You could in theory even win, while not having ships or discs on any hex --- extremely unlikely, but legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Suomalainen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

Agree. Or, to put in simpler terms, players are never eliminated. You could in theory even win, while not having ships or discs on any hex --- extremely unlikely, but legal.

IIRC, players are actually eliminated if they really go bankrupt ie. are still indebted during upkeep phase after removing all of their influence discs from board and converting all of their science and materials for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Durrrr. You're right. Can't believe I missed that.

p.24 "In the unlikely event that you do not have enough Influence Discs to remove, your civilization has collapsed and your game ends here. Count your score and return all your game components to the game box."

vs.

p.21 "In the unlikely event that you lose all of your Influence Discs and Ships from the game board, you may no longer place Influence Discs on hexes. You may continue to produce Resources each round ... and take Research actions, which may still grant a few Victory Points. ... You may also give up the game, counting your score and returning all your game components to the game box."

So there is elimination from the game (either through bankruptcy or concession) and also elimination just from the board.

And from the Eclipse Official FAQ:

"Q: If a player is eliminated, does this affect the amount of Technology Tiles drawn in the Cleanup Phase?
A: No."

I don't see anything addressing total removal of Ambassadors from the game, but since the tech draw remains the same (not effectively decreasing to a smaller player count for techs) you'd have to assume Ambassadors would also still be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timo soininen
msg tools
Have I missed something?
Situation:
It's a 6-player game. I had 2 diplomatic relations with the players next to me. I get wasted by a guy from my opposite side. I still have few hexes on my possession and populations on them, but still practically zero chance in scoring even second last. I want to quit and make it faster for the other players. Everybody's in a rush to get sleep

Questions:
1. Rules book says "In the unlikely event that you lose all of your Influence Discs.. ..You may also give up the game, counting your score and returning all your game components to the game box". Do I have to wait for my inf-discs get removed via normal gameplay by the other players? (We realize taking the stuff off suddenly favors the players without neutron bombs)

2. In the either case I get to the point when I choose to return my components (apparently nothing left on the board if yes to Q1) to the game box. When I start to take my diplomatic discs from the players on my left and right the other one says "no way man I want my VP + production". I quote the rule book "..ALL YOUR GAME COMPONENTS.." What is the correct solution?

3. In general, what happens if a player in the middle of the game gets a force majeur (child birth, heart attack, diarrhea or need-to-sleep) and leaves the game even with the ships on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sukkimo wrote:
3. In general, what happens if a player in the middle of the game gets a force majeur (child birth, heart attack, diarrhea or need-to-sleep) and leaves the game even with the ships on?

I suspect no rules will cover this, but we've had this happen to us. When the guy left, we decided on what his strategy was, and make community decisions to his empire - essentially his empire became a group NPC. This means that it doesn't favour anyone particularly, but it's also not very effective, as they can't be sneaky.

We felt it was a better alternative to just pulling their ships/discs off of the board.

Not sure how helpful that is, but it's my experience...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.