David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just got the French version of the game and Landrec's heroic ability seems ... very odd compared to the others.

Could someone give me the Heroic Ability of Landrec in the English game.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:
http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/landrec-the-wise/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks a lot.

It's now official for me : Landrec has the most sucky Heroic feat ever ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it is pretty good. All you need is Mana Weave (or the Runemaster skill that is exhaust for +1 surge) and you don't even need any surges on his attack roll as his Heroic Ability adds 1 surge. If you have both MW and the skill, you're guaranteed 2 surges, apart from rolling X, but that's the risk attack-related Feats all have (unless you have Tarha's ability).

If you're looking for negatives with Landred, his brown defense and horrible stats that are tested (Might and Awareness in particular) are much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, getting +5 suddenly to an attack that got NO surges on the roll is pretty neat. Especially if it's Runemaster which just used Blast on many enemies. Also you can do it when your fatigue is maxed out(there's runemaster skill that has +2 for a fatigue point and a surge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a weak Heroic Feat near the beginning of a campaign (only two dice in the attack pool, no way of guaranteed surges), but it becomes more useful later on (three dice in the attack pool, Rune Mastery, Mana Weave).

It does sort of combine with Landrec's Hero Ability, but you would still need something else to generate the second Surge. You could presumably get Rune Mastery after the first Act I quest, so from that point on, Landrec could necessarily do +5 damage with it, assuming he doesn't roll an X.

It does sort of force his hand though. If I were to choose Landrec for a campaign, I would essentially have to make him a Runemaster, and I'd want to get Rune Mastery sooner than later. A Necromancer Landrec would be have a pretty useless Heroic Feat until Act II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking about it more, I realized another thing that makes Landrec's Heroic feat actually really good, once you have the right skills. For reference, compare with another high-damage Mage character, Mad Carthos.

Mad Carthos's Heroic Feat wrote:
[Action]: Perform an attack with a Magic weapon. This attack deals +3[Heart].

Landrec the Wise's Heroic Feat wrote:
Use when performing an attack, before rolling dice. This attack gains: [Surge][Surge]: +5[Heart].

So without Rune Mastery or Mana Weave, it's true that Landrec's Heroic Feat may do nothing. However, the wording on it is such that you can attach it to any attack, whereas Mad Carthos's Heroic Feat is an Action, which follows that it is the only thing you can do.

Why does it make a difference? Two words: Exploding Rune. As written, Landrec the Wise could attach his Heroic Feat to Exploding Rune; Mad Carthos cannot. A Runemaster Landrec the Wise with Rune Mastery and Exploding Rune can perform an attack with +5 damage and Blast, which could be extremely powerful in the right situations. Heck, even if you only hit two large monsters, that could be enough to severely injure, if not kill, both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JerseyP Bob
msg tools
How about Landrec the Geomancer.

Instead of using the Runemaster skill to give landrec another surge, use summoned stones. All attacks targeting a monster adjacent to a summoned stone automatically add 1 surge.

Combining landrec's feat with blast is a good idea, but you have to hope you get the right rune. You could just use him as a geomancer. They have a skill called molten fury. You perform an attack measuring line of sight and distance from a summoned stone. It automatically adds burn, and can add blast for an additional surge.

You can have +5 damage, blast, and burn. This combo only requires landrec with the geomancer class, its initial skill, and a 2xp skill. You can have this going after the second quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.