Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject says it all, really. What is the point of this rule? I just want to know to help me remember, otherwise I'm liable to forget it exists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overpowered rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
overpowered rule.

What?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why. In the classic game you can. Usually, though, you don't want to. Turn A, move to the planet, do not do any transactions, buy the port. Turn B, you start at the port and can do all your buying and selling while getting the port bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They made that rule for the same reason that they gave the spaceports such a high cost, and for the same reason that you have limited tokens, and the same reason those token do double duty as drills: to make you think twice about building them.

Spaceports are awesome. They provide income, discounts, etc. If there weren't some major opportunity costs built into them, nothing would stop you from fully stationing every planet you discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hillyard
United States
providence
ut
flag msg tools
badge
Spiel On!
mbmbmbmbmb
Making this a two turn sequence also adds a degree of player interaction, especially during the last few turns of the game when the markets are running a little low. This rule now forces you to take the distance of other players ships into account. This is because the last thing you want to do is foot the bill for the spaceport and wait for your next to turn to buy and sell, and then have someone else come in a buy up all the good in that location while using your spaceport. It really makes the game fun when you have to figure out all the possible variables, and how your best friend can now stab you in the back shake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
I don't know why. In the classic game you can. Usually, though, you don't want to. Turn A, move to the planet, do not do any transactions, buy the port. Turn B, you start at the port and can do all your buying and selling while getting the port bonus.

That's both desired and required in the classic / original game. Buying a spaceport deed counts as your one purchase for the turn; you cannot buy (a) good(s) until the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true as normally you will be at a surface city to buy the port, although I suppose you could be at a spaceport, and buy another spaceport in the same system to lock someone else out, but I don't think I have ever seen anybody do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.