mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm sure there are thread on here that would help with this decision, but nevertheless:

I am about to buy a smart phone, I am either going to get a samsung phone with an iPhone.

If I care about board game apps, should I go one way or the other?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Android since I haven't owned one, but I do own and iphone and an ipad.

The iphone has a few really good ones on it. Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Ascension, etc (I won't list them all since there are very good lists on here already). I am pretty much never without a good game to play. I've played a solo game of Ticket to Ride while waiting for someone to arrive, or played a pass and play game of Carcassonne in the back seat during road trips.

The games are usually pretty cheap (a little steep compared to other apps, but MUCH cheaper than the physical version). For most of the games, the small screen isn't much of a problem at all, and my vision isn't great.

Like I said, I don't own an Android so compare this to what an Android user says. Personally I am loving the board game apps that are on the iphone right now and would recommend it to any board game enthusiast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cornelius
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an iphone, but I have seen in the apple store that they have a lot of good game apps. As the previous user mentioned - Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Settlers of Catan. I believe Catan: Cities and Knights was just released for the iphone as well.

The Android system currently has Settlers of Catan and Carcassone. There is also an unauthorized version of Dominion called Androdominion that is fun. This is NOT available on the iphone. Overall, I would say that the iphone has better board game apps. However, I would still get the Android because it is just a better phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help you decided. I have an android, but I'm sometimes jealous of the good apps on the IOS. Good luck deciding!

IOS Games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67659/ios-versions-of-...

Android Games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72020/android-versions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are being truly objective in any iPhone vs Android question the answer so far continues to be in favor of the iPhone. This may change one day but right now that is simply the truth and the gaming related criteria does not change the answer, if anything it solidifies it more.

Edit - Typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clear things up, do you want app versions of board games, or apps about board games (BGG, timers, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Board game apps have tended to come out on the iPhone first because it had a more solid market, but now that Android has a much larger market share there are more coming out for that (plus it is much easier to convert an iOS game to Android than vice versa because of the anti-competitive iTunes restrictions for vice versa). The iPhone has a weirdly small screen compared to most modern phones, and most board game apps are more suitable for larger screens (especially tablets) anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
To clear things up, do you want app versions of board games, or apps about board games (BGG, timers, etc.)?

app versions of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel Theuws
Japan
Kyoto / Eersel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Android has a larger market share in sold products, but research has shown that Apple users spend significantly more money on apps. Therefore more companies want to bring their games to IOS devices rather than Android. Simply because they will sell more, this might change in the future though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roel81 wrote:
Android has a larger market share in sold products, but research has shown that Apple users spend significantly more money on apps. Therefore more companies want to bring their games to IOS devices rather than Android. Simply because they will sell more, this might change in the future though.
Already changing apparently...

Unfortunately implementations of actual board games are still less frequent on Android. But on the other hand most newer Humble Bundle deals are for Android too while I can't recall any that supported IOS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.