Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was getting ready to order King of Tokyo and seen I had a coupon but I needed to buy one more game for it to apply. I mainly play with the wife,"and the kids sometimes" My wife likes some games but I dont think she ran across that game that she said,This is my game! So instead of ordered yet another adventure,zombie type dark theme that I enjoy I thought I would take a stab at maybe a light euro type game to see if that is more her speed.
So if you could recommend something rules light,easy and fun that will play decent for 2+ please let me know. I was thinking stone age or maybe 7 wonders,but im not sure..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca
Seeland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame is a wonderful light euro that combines an easy card drafting mechanic with a touch of worker placement. Easy to learn and teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Light-ish, Euro-ish, good with two players...

Havana
Carcassonne
Finca
Hanging Gardens

Edit: didn't see you were considering 7 Wonders. It's not great with just two players. (Basically, the variant for two players is dramatically different than any other player count--it's really a different game... and it's just OK.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I would suggest
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
stone age or maybe 7 wonders

but I am sure.

I prefer Stone Age and haven't played 7 Wonders with only 2 (seems not as good as 3+ players, but I dunno). Either fit your bill just fine.

Fresco and Village also work.

This all depends on how old your kids are, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the plunge and ordered Stone Age and King Of Tokyo.
Hopefully it will be a hit,if stone age fails would it be safe to say we pretty much wouldnt like any worker placement type euro's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not safe to say. You probably should try Agricola before saying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
Hopefully it will be a hit,if stone age fails would it be safe to say we pretty much wouldnt like any worker placement type euro's?

Not really. Stone Age is fun, but there are some aspects about it that certain gamers do not like besides the worker placement mechanic. Some don't like the randomness of dice, which most worker placement games do not have. But I like the dice in this game, especially when combined with the tools you can take. One other thing that bothers some is that the final score is very dependent on the cards you buy and the cards remain hidden after you buy them and the points they offer are not tallied until the end. So most of the scoring for Stone Age isnt done until the game's end so it is difficult to get a handle on how well you are doing in relation to other players. However, if you are just playing to have fun, none of that should matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:

good job! Stone Age is just great! Works really well with 2 players also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
,if stone age fails would it be safe to say we pretty much wouldnt like any worker placement type euro's?

No! No!

I enjoy Agricola (like), Luna (like), Carson City (love), Finca (love), Carcassonne (like) and other worker placement games.

I hate Stone Age. We traded it. The game is structured around a simple spreadsheet that a sufficiently competent mathematician can solve in real time, and the randomness of the dice rolls isn't enough to compensate. If you're playing against that mathematician, the game becomes un-fun quickly. If you're that mathematician, the game gets boring quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
Acquire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will repeat Finca, and add Maori and Masons (older and become harder to find). I have comfortably done each as 2-player, also with kids whose ages begin in the double digits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ktice wrote:
No, not safe to say. You probably should try Agricola before saying that.

Actually, that is not a good one to try. If you hate Stone Age because of the hidden tiles, you may hate Agricola because of the Occupation cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
Carcassonne (like) and other worker placement games.

Which is far more known for its tile placement than worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find yourself back in the market, and if you're ok with games that don't require you to bash each other, consider Africana or Roll to the South Pole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Care to explain? Tile placement and worker placement are both fundamentally essential to Carcassonne. In fact, I'd say that the first image to come to mind when thinking about the game is probably a meeple

matthean wrote:
veemonroe wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Care to explain? Tile placement and worker placement are both fundamentally essential to Carcassonne. In fact, I'd say that the first image to come to mind when thinking about the game is probably a meeple

matthean wrote:
veemonroe wrote:

While you are "placing workers" in Carcassonne, I'd venture to say that it plays more like an area control game than a worker placement. Worker placement games typically have players earning specific benefits based on where they place their workers (resources, turn order, victory points, cards, etc.). Carcassonne only rewards players with victory points for owning the majority of a piece of property (city, road, farm, or cloister). If you define worker placements very generally, I guess you could include Carcassonne. But I wouldn't consider it one.

All that said, Carc is a WONDERFUL Euro-style game that is great for beginners or those looking for a light-ish tile placing classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.