Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm looking to get my feet wet in war gaming. I don't want to go all out, but would like a couple war gaming options. My primary game partner is my girlfriend (wife, basically). We have come up through the hobby together. She loves Twilight Struggle and 1989, and doesn't mind to have a long game set-up and play over multiple days ( we have a dedicate table for that). My question: is this game too much of a leap? I mean a 2-3 hour TS or 1989 game to a 8 hour PoG is a leap, but is it manageable? Should I finally figure out how to play War of the Ring first

I've looked at a few other GMT war games, and this is the one that is calling me. So, is this too advanced for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
So, I'm looking to get my feet wet in war gaming. I don't want to go all out, but would like a couple war gaming options. My primary game partner is my girlfriend (wife, basically). We have come up through the hobby together. She loves Twilight Struggle and 1989, and doesn't mind to have a long game set-up and play over multiple days ( we have a dedicate table for that). My question: is this game too much of a leap? I mean a 2-3 hour TS or 1989 game to a 8 hour PoG is a leap, but is it manageable? Should I finally figure out how to play War of the Ring first

I've looked at a few other GMT war games, and this is the one that is calling me. So, is this too advanced for us?

Such a lucky man should be burnt on a pile of wargame boards.arrrh

Well, I think PoG is good in this case. It's intriguing and you can stop at any time and pick up in no time. It's quite managable.

There are also other choices out there if you prefered a 3-5 hour game. But since you are talking about CDGs, I guess I should put those suggestions down at this moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No please, shorter games are prefered, just something about this one makes me need it

But I would love suggestions, spent the past few days digging. I would like one that has a mounted board, and no C&C (I have every Memoir expansion, I can't talk myself into buying a similar system). We also have Labyrinth...but haven't learned it yet (it hides in the corner with War of the Ring shake ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the rules are a little tough for a first wargame..
Maybe no retreat is a little more simple, gmt game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^ that game looks good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
^ that game looks good, too.

No retreat is definitely a good choice.

For other games.

Manoeuvre is a lot of fun and short.
Asia Engulfed is a little bit long (like 6 hours), but still a lot of fun.
Napoleon's Triumph is a 3-5 hour game with terrific depth and a short rulebook.

There are tons of tactical wargames that are short and interesting. Among them, Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles has a really elegant rulebook (12 pages, and you can start to play some basic scenarios after reading the first 6 pages or so), whose scenarios can usually be played in 45min to 1.5 hours. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 and Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division have a touch of eurogame, which may be good when played with light gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm gonna pull the trigger on No Retreat, hold off on PoG for now. Also getting 1812: The Invasion of Canada, which I know is a lighter game, but it just looks fun.

Thanks for your responses, they were of great help... I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1812 is fun indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
[..]My primary game partner is my girlfriend (wife, basically). We have come up through the hobby together.[..] play over multiple days ( we have a dedicate table for that).
Jealous!

My wife and I love playing boardgames together and with friends. But we'll never play wargames together. And a dedicated table?... Jealous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wilderness War may interest you. As a CDG it is not too heavy or too light and covers similar themes to 1812. The game lasts about 4-5 hours which is around what you are looking for. Of course there is Washington's War as well which is a highly regarded game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would definitely go with No Retreat if I were in your shoes. PoG is fantastic. It's not a first wargame though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and as i was reading the rules, i'd think you might wanna have a look at Somme 1918, there is basic and advanced rules, components are great (i think there's a video here somewhere), it's WW1, as PoG, and, and (wait for it) it's French!!! and us french, beside sending cheese & baguette over the Atlantic, can send cool boardgames

Edit: additionnal info I forgot: I have 2 games from Nuts! Publishing, and the customer service is extremly responsive & friendly. No need to say that the games are in english (yes, yes, some of us learned a second language)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How fortunate you are Ryan to have your girlfrind/wife as yur gaming partner! I'm certain I speak for many when I say I'm jealous! My wife likes the Ticket to Ride series. I'm not crazy about it but play it with her. But I'm a wargamer from way back and unfortuntely she has no interest.

If your love likes TS and 1989, she must be well educated in history and international conflict. If so, and you both have an interest in WW1, then PoG is a great choice. If WW2 is your interest then No Retreat is a great choice, it's on a grand Army-level scale like PoG with 100KM hexes.

But if you have any interest in tactical squad level infantry cambat, give Combat Commander: Europe a look. It's a great CDG, 30M hexes, with Russian, German, and American forces. Very easy to learn, with a reputation for having one of the clearest rulebooks there is. After that it's on to CC: Mediterranean which adds the French, the British/Commonwealth (e.g. Canadians), and Italians/Axis minors (e.g. Rumanians, Finns). There is then CC: Pacific with the Japanese, US Marines, and British/Commonwealth (Aus/NZ). CC does not have mounted mapoards however a cheap piece of plexiglass makes it very nice indeed.

But since this is the PoG forum, and based on what you've said, to answer your question, YES! I think you would like this game.

GMT is the best in the business. Whatever you end up with, ENJOY!

~ Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girl friend plays the same games with me. I just picked up Hannibal Rome vs Carthage, it's a nice middle step between Paths of Glory and Twilight Struggle imho. Has the area control from TS and adds in armies and generals to move around. I also own No Retreat! but haven't been able to get her to play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that, based upon what you and your girlfriend play that PoG would work. There is a learning curve, as in most counter games such as this (even Twilight Struggle, right?). Still, PoG is a very addicting game (at least for me), and I would recommend it as a good choice considering your gaming background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've already played Twilight Struggle and 1989, then you've got the card play mechnism down. PoG adds units and movement. There are shorter scenarios that can be played while building up skill at the game. You can also get the Players' Guide, which has optional cards, more units, and additional scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cain
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for light war games that play in 2-3 hours, why not try a block game like Julius Caesar or Hammer of the Scots? My wife likes them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.