10 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thoughts on possible new techs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eoin Gibb
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Had a couple of good games of Eclipse last night, and had some out there ideas for techs. Not all balanced - but debate is all good.

Death Star: Rare tech. Gives you a new ship design. Bigger than a dreadnaught by two slots, and has a big gun :-) You can only build one.

Miniturisation: Extra tech slot for ships. All your ship designs now have one extra slot.

Improved Logistics: Extra ship activation.

Nanotech Retrofitters: Extra upgrade action.

Quantum Computing: Additional 1 point reduction in research costs (as an additional research would be just to good)

Missile Pod: Single shot yellow missile that takes no slot. Max of 2 per ship design - but you still have to take the upgrade actions to place em :-)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like miniturisation, though you may find it overpowering. I think its worth playtesting, but if you need to nerf, then perhaps adding a power requirement to the extra slot (when used) might help. Or you can always raise the cost to purchase the tech, though you would want it affordable enough to be desirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make Miniaturization nice and cheap (3 or 4). But it is such amazing technology it is impossible to keep it a secret and spreads across the galaxy at an unheard of pace.

If you are connected to another race they automatically get miniaturization too.

Once one person buys it, other players start to get it too.

Warmongers will buy it but it still gives the other players a chance.

Other ideas
Make it take a power or cost 1 resource everytime you put a technology in the miniature space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the problem there is "connected".

Do you mean connected when purchased, or connected at any time?

In most cases anyone with it taking the centre is giving it to everyone else.

I suspect no one would buy it if they didnt get some form of competitive advantage.

An example might be, the first person to research it only pays 1 material when they add a "slot" token to their blue-prints and everyone else pays 2 or something like that.

Theres definately other mutterings about a Death Star tech, a messy way to do it might be to have 2 star bases in a sector, and combine them into a new token. That way it frees up your 2 star bases and gives you something special BUT you have had to already pay for the 2 star bases and 1 or 2 techs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Deathstar, thematically it would make sense that it is a stationary ship. Gamewise, I wouldn't want to add an element that further encourages turtling.

I think if the "big gun" were able to shoot through worm holes, that would encourage the other players to be agressive in charging in and taking it out. Though, I'm not sure how combat would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
eoingibb wrote:

My only problem with these 2 techs is that it nerfs the advantages of Humans and Mechanema.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about miniaturization as a discovery? Instead of placing it IN a slot on a ship, you place it next to that ship, and it acts as another slot? A single extra slot on one ship can really change the balance of a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
demonhanz wrote:
eoingibb wrote:

My only problem with these 2 techs is that it nerfs the advantages of Humans and Mechanema.

Only in as much as Nanorobots nerfs the Mechanema build action already, These races presumably could already research these to gain an even more marked advantage

Vanish wrote:
How about miniaturization as a discovery? Instead of placing it IN a slot on a ship, you place it next to that ship, and it acts as another slot? A single extra slot on one ship can really change the balance of a fight.

Yes, we already do this with the blank discovery tile. It's very powerful, but not, unbalancing to the point that you will definitely win if you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Some nice ideas. I'm stealing several of them for my next playbyemail game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know how they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.