Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gates and monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrgamer gamer
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a recent game i recieved a location card where the text stated "A gate and a monster appears". The following questions comes into my mind

1. When at gate appears at my location by a location card, does this mean that i am immediatly drawn through the gate and being dalayed?

2. If i am drawn through the gate, what happends to the monster, do i haf to evade or fight it before i am drawn through the gate?

3. When a gate opens by means of a location card, does the AO recieve a doom token, or does this only occur when a gate opens in the Mythos face
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splenky wrote:
In a recent game i recieved a location card where the text stated "A gate and a monster appears". The following questions comes into my mind

1. When at gate appears at my location by a location card, does this mean that i am immediatly drawn through the gate and being dalayed?

Yes.

Splenky wrote:
2. If i am drawn through the gate, what happends to the monster, do i haf to evade or fight it before i am drawn through the gate?

No, you are drawn through the gate first and the monster stays on the gate and moves as normal if it's symbol comes up on the next mythos phase. If it is still there when your character comes out, you would have to fight/evade it on the movement phase the turn after you come out of the gate.

Splenky wrote:
3. When a gate opens by means of a location card, does the AO recieve a doom token, or does this only occur when a gate opens in the Mythos face

Yes, anytime a gate opens you add a doom token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are lucky enough to be drawn in the gate indeed, well if being delayed in another world count as lucky, but that means you do not need to fight or evade the monster indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Splenky wrote:

1. As the other friends said, yes. Please remember that this implies you to have (normally) three encounters in a row in the OW before returning to Arkham.

2. This was clarified later, the gate opens, you're immediately sucked in and then a monster (two in a 5+ player game) appears. Seems something like "hey, there's a gate here! let's see where I can go from this hole... uhm... Arkham! seems like a nice place to stay"

3. As a general rule, whenever you're instructed to open a gate, you add a doom token to the doom track. In case you'd like to play with some expansion, this rule would be useful because gates can open also thanks to other effects (i.e. an item from the Black Goat of the Woods expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrgamer gamer
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thankyou for the clarifications.
Im still a bit confused, i thought that monsters that appear by means of encounters never stays on the board after the arkham encounter or OW encounter phases comes to an end.
If this is true, then the monster that appears by a location card that states "a monster and a gate appears" should dissapear after the
arkham encounter phase has ended, or am i missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Splenky wrote:
Im still a bit confused, i thought that monsters that appear by means of encounters never stays on the board after the arkham encounter or OW encounter phases comes to an end.
If this is true, then the monster that appears by a location card that states "a monster and a gate appears" should dissapear after the

It's an exception. Monsters that appear together with a Gate as a result of an Encounter stay on the board. All the others go away as you correctly understand it.

Edit: The logic here being that the monster actually appears as a result of the Gate opening (just like a Mythos card) and not directly as a result of the Encounter. By this logic it also follows that if you are playing with 5 or more Investigators, you should place 2 monsters when drawing one of these Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splenky wrote:

The phrases "A Monster appears" and "A Monster and a Gate appear" are two completely different instances, and are handled differently. You are correct that Monsters from Encounters (whether Arkham or Other World) return to the cup if not defeated, but only if they appear by themselves.

Monsters that appear with Gates enter play, just like monsters drawn during Mythos. They are subject to the Monster Limit, move normally, and so on. This way, Gates opened during the Encounter Phase have the normal chance of being guarded.

Any Investigators in the location are immediately pulled through the Gate, and delayed, whether or not they have had their Arkham Encounter Phase. All of these Invesigators will have an Other World Encounter during the OW Encounter Phase, despite being delayed.

Follow the phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
By this logic it also follows that if you are playing with 5 or more Investigators, you should place 2 monsters when drawing one of these Encounters.

I believe this is correct; that you just apply the rules from page 9 of the rulebook, including the Doom Token placement. I don't know Of anywhere this is explicitly stated, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
gert74 wrote:
By this logic it also follows that if you are playing with 5 or more Investigators, you should place 2 monsters when drawing one of these Encounters.

I believe this is correct; that you just apply the rules from page 9 of the rulebook, including the Doom Token placement. I don't know Of anywhere this is explicitly stated, however.

You are correct. I checked. It is not explicitly stated anywhere in the FAQ. Just seems logical to me. But use it at your own peril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrgamer gamer
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

Monsters that appear with Gates enter play, just like monsters drawn during Mythos. They are subject to the Monster Limit, move normally, and so on. This way, Gates opened during the Encounter Phase have the normal chance of being guarded.

Follow the phases.

So the monsters that appears through gates are subject to monster limit.
But monsters that appears through encounters, and dissapears after the phase has ended is not subject to monster limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splenky wrote:

So the monsters that appears through gates are subject to monster limit.
But monsters that appears through encounters, and dissapears after the phase has ended is not subject to monster limit?

That's right, let's say those are just visting and are gone a coule of minutes later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
gert74 wrote:

I was scanning down thinking "I'd best check to make sure that somebody mentions the number of Monsters spawned by an opening Gate". Nice one guys: you got it. Very important rule this with 5 or more Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
You are lucky enough to be drawn in the gate indeed, well if being delayed in another world count as lucky, but that means you do not need to fight or evade the monster indeed.

This type of being delayed isn't really being delayed. If you were sucked into a gate and not delayed you would only be spending 1 turn instead of 2 in a gate. I'm sure this is what you meant, but I felt like it deemed clarification. That is why gates opening on investigators always delay them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

Any Investigators in the location are immediately pulled through the Gate, and delayed, whether or not they have had their Arkham Encounter Phase. All of these Invesigators will have an Other World Encounter during the OW Encounter Phase, despite being delayed.

In this case, an investigator could have three encounters in the Other World? I thought the point of being delayed was to make sure they didn't get out with only one encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Radulla wrote:

In this case, an investigator could have three encounters in the Other World? I thought the point of being delayed was to make sure they didn't get out with only one encounter.

Yes, it's usually three OW Encounters for an Investigator pulled through a gate during the Arkham Encounters Phase, and two for those swallowed in the Mythos Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.