Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Mainly it's because

1) I'm Jewish and celebrate chanukkah
2) I live in Israel and nobody here believes in Santa Claus
3) all the secret santas gift giving is more meaningful when living in the US because that's where all the best presents come from

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'm Pagan and celebrate the Solstice
2) I've always told my kids the truth about where their gifts come from
3) I'm in New Zealand which in itself is meaningful

And I still have (at least I hope, s/he's silent thus far but it's only early), and am a BGG Secret Santa ..

Seriously tho, I'm not following the purpose of your post or if you're even serious ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Issac, I think you're missing the point.
I'm Mark, also from Israel.
I think many people from outside the US/EU are not participating in the Secret Santa just because of the high costs/shipping it'll cost them...I'd be happy to participate in a local Secret Santa effort if there was one...it's just that I don't know how many Israelis are actually active here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hazard a guess that there are very very very very very very very few adults in the US/EU who actually believe in Santa Claus. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I would hazard a guess that there are very very very very very very very few adults in the US/EU who actually believe in Santa Claus. whistle

That's just sad an ironic. How can many adults do not believe in Santa Claus if they have kids of their own and tells them guess who's coming down to give you presents on christmas eve or go to the mall on Saturday's next month as Santa Claus and let kids sit on your lap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murka wrote:
I think many people from outside the US/EU are not participating in the Secret Santa just because of the high costs/shipping it'll cost them...

Actually, the high costs of shipping are generally incurred by those shipping to a destination outside of the US/EU where online shops are less prevalent. If your target is resident in either the US or EU you can order from Amazon or one of the in-country online shops and pay regular shipping costs. It's those Santas who have to ship to Israel or Malaysia, for example, who get dinged for the extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

That's just sad an ironic. How can many adults do not believe in Santa Claus if they have kids of their own and tells them guess who's coming down to give you presents on christmas eve or go to the mall on Saturday's next month as Santa Claus and let kids sit on your lap?

Not me.

But let's let parents decide what little fairy tales they're going to tell and act out with their own kids huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Åberg
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

Because it's a fun fairytale to tell the kids which gets all excited. Here in Sweden we have a long tradition of folklore which contains evil gnomes which have the same name as the swedish santa. I guess it's nice to know as a kid that not all mystical creatures are evil but there are also the good ones. It's a tradition, traditions and such is something I believe someone living in Israel should know a thing or two about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Copenhagen a number of years ago and got to learn more about Hans Christian Andersen. The fairy tales that he, the Brothers Grimm and other North European story-tellers created, wrote and told are wonderful tales that are pretty magical and great to tell kids. They've got plenty of time to experience the misery of real life when they're older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I went to Copenhagen a number of years ago and got to learn more about Hans Christian Andersen. The fairy tales that he, the Brothers Grimm and other North European story-tellers created, wrote and told are wonderful tales that are pretty magical and great to tell kids. They've got plenty of time to experience the misery of real life when they're older.

LOL. Yeah, nice happy stories about getting lost in the woods and then cooked by a witch. Or about going to grannies house to find that she's been eaten by a wolf. Or being a poor match seller and dying of hypothermia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! Magical, wonderful tales though. They don't sugarcoat things and yet kids are happy to hear them over and over again,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fran, the Nanny wrote:
I believe in anyone who delivers...

I'm from Switzerland and can't remember ever having been told about Santa Claus. The Saint Nicholas (who brings gifts if you've been good) and Knecht Ruprecht (who whips you with a broom or puts you in his bag if you've been bad) story that takes place on 6. December is far more prevalent where I've grown up. I think the Santa Claus myth is far too similar for most people to bother. It's only with the increasing American influence from movies and Coca Cola ads that Santa has come to my attention.

Also "Secret Santa" is called "Wichteln" over here. The name's derived from the norse fable create Wight that does good things to others.

Quote:
But as with everything else, it's the thought that counts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Chanukkah Harry isn't real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.