Hide
11 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How similar to Eclipse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glyn Allport
msg tools
Ok, im new to this boardgaming thing, only been gaming since Febuary. I have around 10 games including Eclipse, which is my groups favourite. Twilight imperium has caught my attention for obvious reasons. But is it worth me buying if we already play ecplipse alot? are they very similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several really good reviews in this forum, you should read them.
The two games only share the theme, nothing more, and that alone cannot be the factor on whether you should have only one in your collection... that would make board game collections really short

Please take the time, explore the forums, specially the reviews, better people than me have already done a great job showing what ti3 is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 has a lot more depth and is highly immersive. The large number of unique race abilities, event and political cards, elevates the game beyond being just turn after turn of the same handful of actions being executed by each player. It is highly modular with a large number of "optional" rules/variants that you pick and choose to the ability or tastes of the group at hand.

I look at Eclipse as being a highly refined game, technically. A great set of mechanics with superb streamlining. Each game of TI3 however, is an "event". Each time I have played TI3, there comes a point when finally, somebody has looked at the time and the responses are always something like "Has it really been 5 hours already?" To me, that is testament to a game that is doing a superb job at pulling you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are similar and yes, they are different.
Theme is the same.
Mechanics are different.
FFG production is card driven (or maybe not driven, but everything is being represented by cards) - while Eclipse is blocks driven (no cards).
Eclipse has no politics
Fighting system is more simple (Eclipse)

Eclipse has 1 big expansion and two mini expansions vs 2 big expansions for TI3

I have both - I like both. I can conclude only in one way:
If you do not have enough time for TI3 - play Eclipse.
If you have time (and once you get the game you will try to do so, trust me - play TI3.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nath1975 wrote:
Each time I have played TI3, there comes a point when finally, somebody has looked at the time and the responses are always something like "Has it really been 5 hours already?"

And then you notice that you've actually just finished the first round and still have 5-7 more to go. whistle

Actually, both are great games and if your group has enough time/interest, they do offer some very different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Nath1975 wrote:
Each time I have played TI3, there comes a point when finally, somebody has looked at the time and the responses are always something like "Has it really been 5 hours already?"

And then you notice that you've actually just finished the first round and still have 5-7 more to go. whistle

if it takes 5 hours to play a single round of TI3, the group is doing something SERIOUSLY wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Eclipse is for the wannabes, TI3 is for the men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I never thought of it this way, but that would make Eclipse a good gateway game to TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyGear wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I never thought of it this way, but that would make Eclipse a good gateway game to TI3.

Conversely, Eclipse is a good TI3 detox game. Although I have not yet found myself in a position whereby I have had too much TI3. Therefore this is purely speculative. (and is a veiled attempt to sound objective while providing some weight towards a balanced argument in an attempt not to sound too TI3 biased...which I most certainly am )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both a lot - because I like the theme they share.

As previous posters said, TI3 is always an event and takes a lot of time to play. TI3 has a lot deeper theme than eclipse. The part where the deeper theme is just some graphics or fluff-text is something I really miss in Eclipse. Also, the political game is a lot of fun.

Since we have Eclipse, TI3 almost never hit the table again - partly because you need to invest some time into knowing the rules and all significant special rules of the races, the technology-tree etc. to play it. And as we know of FFG-games, these rules are often non-intuitive and sometimes contradictory.

But I do miss thes TI3-Sessions. It is a game you can only enjoy with people who know the rules - which takes some loooong sessions. If your gaming group always changes like mine and a whole day of gaming is really hard to find - do not buy it. If you can spare the time and like epic gaming events - buy it.

A little off-topic: What I also like about Eclipse is the possibility to start with all players human - that way reducing complexity a lot. Maybe it would help to create some reduced TI3-rules-set to get beginners into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.