Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of buying the game, but at least half of the reason to buy it is for solitaire play. I am looking for opinions of playing it that way. How do you do it as in how many investigators you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it more as a solo game than as a co-op.

I usually use 3 investigators because that is how many easily fit on my table!

I would recommend starting with four (that is supposedly how many the game designer planned for). I would also play that you cannot replace any investigators that go insane or are devoured.

If you want a harder game (the game can be too easy after a while), use fewer investigators, and or start with a couple of doom tokens (and any monsters they bring) already on the board.

I also use a "clockless variant" I created where the the Midnight effects and Mythos deck phase happen after each character (up to four) gets one turn.

(Edited to add another difficulty suggestion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I enjoy it more as a solo game than as a co-op.

I usually use 3 investigators because that is how many easily fit on my table!

I would recommend starting with four (that is supposedly how many the game designer planned for). I would also play that you cannot replace any investigators that go insane or are devoured.

If you want a harder game (the game can be too easy after a while), use less investigators.

I also use a "clockless variant" I created where the the Midnight effects and Mythos deck phase happen after each character (up to four) gets one turn.

Actually, it kind of balances out with less investigators, because you have more resources going to each invetigator, since they cannot share (unless you houserule that they can, lol). But "permadeath" certainly ups the difficulty either way, and as a matter of fact, that is how it is in Omens for iOS. Although I guess it could get pretty freakin hard with just one investigator if every time they take their turn it is followed by a mythos card. That might even make it impossible, but I've never tried it, since I haven't touched the paper version at all since I got Omens for my iPhone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play one investigator with permadeath. You die, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO this is an underrated title and one of my favorite solitaire games.

As Jude alluded, the more investigators the easier. I play with one or two for a tough fun challenge.

To me the mythos really speaks of the desperation (that can drive you to madness) as you alone try to defend and defeat these horrendous beasts of the terrors they would unleash unto the world.

It's all in your hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I am thinking of buying the game, but at least half of the reason to buy it is for solitaire play. I am looking for opinions of playing it that way. How do you do it as in how many investigators you use?
It should work just fine. IN fact, the And and iOS versions (called Elder Sign Omen) are done solo.... with 1 player controlling 1 or more investigators. However, as it's fully-co-op with no hidden info, you can always play it with multiple players via "hot seat" mode or "pass and play" mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I play one investigator with permadeath. You die, you lose.

I'm with Jack. it's a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered the game to play primarily solo. I would like some more suggestion about how many investigators to use each game. Thanks to all who gave me opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play one investigator - no 'reviving' or death=game over and I use all the variants, i.e 'Nick Storm'.

Elder sign is one of THE Best solo games out there and a pretty excellent 2 player co-op game as well.

Highly recommend for solo play.Fun, easy, quick, thematic - hits on all cylinders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the game gets easier the less investigators you play with, as all the resources (items, trophies, clues) go to just one investigator instead of being divided among other players. (In a 4 player game, each investigator gets just one turn per day to gain resources. It's gets even worse with more than 4. 2 players=2 turns, and 1 player=4 turns.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Actually, the game gets easier the less investigators you play with, as all the resources (items, trophies, clues) go to just one investigator instead of being divided among other players. (In a 4 player game, each investigator gets just one turn per day to gain resources. It's gets even worse with more than 4. 2 players=2 turns, and 1 player=4 turns.)

That's why I play that each investigator only gets one turn a day:
jude wrote:

I also use a "clockless variant" I created where the the Midnight effects and Mythos deck phase happen after each character (up to four) gets one turn

The game really was designed for four investigators, so having the clock move after each investigator turn really messes up the balance (and doesn't make much sense thematically, either) with other than four investigators.

When I play solo, I just play that all investigators actions are simultaneous, and then the mythos phase happens. Any monsters or new cards brought on during investigator turns don't get added until the end after all the investigators have finished.

My variant has a few more rules (mostly concerning mythos cards and the Goo tracks) to add difficulty, but basically, that's it. I should really get around to typing it up and posting it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game plays very well solo.

I play one investigator - that way I can be tuned in to that specific character and play through their strengths and weaknesses, rather than using a group. I also play perma-death, if your single investigator gets devoured, you lose. The game can become intense that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
I also like 3. It seems to have a different rhythm (I have tried a 2 and 4...just not the same). And I always put Sister Mary in the 3rd position. No matter who I choose as my other Investigators that Whiskey drinkin' shot gun totin' woman of God is on my team!

(oh, and welcome to the Museum...hope you enjoy your stay and BGG is THE place to come for support...these guys rock-that goes for all from the AH forums as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
suicidepuppet wrote:
And I always put Sister Mary in the 3rd position.

Why do I feel like I need to shower, now? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love it on iOS, but admittedly rarely get the cardboard to the table for solo play. Everytime I want to play solo I realize that instead of setting up all the little cards I can just pick up my Ipad. Cardboard is better for multiple players, but I actually think the app is better for solo. However you you can't play with variants on iOS (not to mention the necessity of having a device you can play it on).

It is a great game... love it with a dice tower. But if you really want it just for solo play (and have an device that can play the app) then consider the app. Also the app is of course cheaper than the paper game so it would be a great way to sort of demo the game. The game play is very similar, though the app actually has a kind of board.

e

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it solo, and usually play with just one investigator (at a time). Less muss and fuss that way. As far as it being "easier" with less people, I don't really think that's the case. Sure, you get more items per day, but you're also puting yourself in more peril each day than with multiple characters. You also don't get any help through Assisting or extra spells, nor does anything get done if you're recovering at the Entrance. As well, if the current investigator isn't suited to a particular Adventure, then too bad. All the penalties hurt more and you don't get to be saved from some of the nasty Mythos cards by someone else.

Anyway, just my feeling. I still tend to win more than I lose, but when I lose I get slaughtered. In fact, I just played Azathoth this morning and did very well as Ashcan Pete, but he ended up being devoured and the mess he left Joe Diamond was just awful. I think I beat one adventure with him before Azathoth woke up, because I had burned through the easy ones and Joe couldn't get any clue tokens for his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Kelly
msg tools
Fun game, but seems a bit easy
I just bought it a couple days ago and played it last night. It was really fun. I think I was doing some things wrong though, because it was way too easy. I beat the ancient one before he even had half doom points. I also used only one investigator. However, like I said, if you play it right, I'm sure it's a more challenging game. Already pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JulesKels wrote:
I just bought it a couple days ago and played it last night. It was really fun. I think I was doing some things wrong though, because it was way too easy. I beat the ancient one before he even had half doom points. I also used only one investigator. However, like I said, if you play it right, I'm sure it's a more challenging game. Already pretty fun.
Its very easy game on its own. For harder game you need Gates of Arkham, Omens of Ice expansions, or, if you have only a base game, you need a simple house rule to ramp up the difficulty. My favorites is "Draw 2 mythos cards at midnight" and "don't buying Elder Sign in shop".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.