Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mighty Ottoman army was lined up outside Prague and proved that good Jasinaries don't need a good general by storming the town while their Grand Visier hid in his assassin-proof tent. He refused to enter the city after the victory "I know what defenestration means" he moaned "and look at all those bloody windows". The Sultan raised 1,000 more Jasinaries in Istanbul and used Spanish treasure to build two galley squadrons in Coron. Spain simply sent an Experienced Pilot to gain small favour with the Pope, Drake completed his circumnavigation safely and young Frobisher was sent out to the Guinea Coast. The Emperor saw the Scottish Lords Rebel only for William of Ironbru keep control, then removed unrest from Frankfurt and rallied mercenaries in Nureumberg.

It was finally revealed that the Imperial Assassin had been holding back as the Grand Visier was the returning officer in the Papal election. The Empire had great influence in Rome and would had suffered if the election was delayed for another five years. As it was Pope Chris won and El Greco accepted Imperial Patronage while the Sultan used his fee to remove unrest from Prague and hire Cavalry in Belgrade. Frobisher wandered around and Guinea Coast without much luck, but won some treasure in the Spanish Main.

Surprised to find that he was still alive the Grand Visier raised a personal bodyguard of 2,000 Jasinaries in Istanbul and two galley squadrons in Coron. With the decade coming to a close I decided to patronise the writer Ronsard and the Protestants starting filming the Marnix

A delighted Grand Visier swiftly returned to the safety of his harem in Istanbul with 5,000 Jasinaries and 2,000 cavalry, Frobisher returned to England with his treasure and General de Fault marched 5,000 troops from Rouen back into Paris. Surprisingly the Empire was still able to raise 4,000 mercenaries for external use and packed off 1,000 mercenaries from Nuremburg to the temporary capital in Frankfurt. The now mighty Protestant armies occupied Brussels, returned 2,000 men to their capital while Coligny & Co returned his thrawted army to la Rochelle. The situation was not pleasing to the Ultra-Catholics and 4,000 soldiers marched from Paris to join the Duc de Guise in Riems and against my better judgement war was re-declared with the Protestants. At least he converted Reims, Boulogne and Amiens to Catholic control as they joined the Spanish Empire.

Henri de Navarre inherited the property of Louise de Coligny after she died in childbirth. Charles IX and Elisabeth of Austria were wedded with no issue, but she whacked the Protestants in Paris, Rouen, Rennes and Brest on their honeymoon. Louise of Lorraine turned out to the the dreaded German Assassin and killed the Duke of Alencon on their wedding night (Dodge This!), but a quick examination of the rules showed that as he had married, abiet briefly, and I still got my fee, so that was nice. Anyway I'll always have Paris

Rudolf the Red Nosed Emperor visably aged (no wonder) and I dread to think what Elizabeth's make-up bill was. El Greco completed a minor work of art, and the Marnix won three Oscars, but when I sent my heralds to Rosard we found he was still on their first draft and we would have to come back later. The Morisco revolt did not spread as all unoccupied areas in southern Spain were already in unrest.

Protestants +13 Keys +2 Religion +1 Piracy +2 Wedding +3 Artists +1 Dutch Revolt = 22 VPs

Spain +8 Keys +5 Religion +3 Scientist +2 Artist +1 Wedding +1 Assassination +1 Dutch Revolt = 21 VPs

France +4 Keys +3 Piracy +2 Artist +3 Wedding +3 Paris +4 Valois = 19 VPs

England +6 Keys +1 Religion +2 Piracy +1 Virginia Dare +2 Circumnavigation +1 Assassination +1 Dutch Revolt +4 Virgin Queen = 18 VPs

Ottomans +15 Keys +2 Piracy = 17 VPs

Holy Roman Empire +8 Keys +1 Scientist +5 Artists +2 Wedding = 16 VPs (+0/+2/+3 Religion = 16-19 VPs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Anyone's game entering Turn 5. The crowd waits in hushed anticipation for the next missive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of a see-saw battle between Spain and the Protestants. The problem is if I convert spaces to Catholicism to reduce the Protestant VP count the Spanish gain VPs (and perhaps a Religious Victory) and vice versa. Still I have the Black Queen ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Miller
msg tools
Ed Beach wrote:
Anyone's game entering Turn 5. The crowd waits in hushed anticipation for the next missive...

"HUSHED anticipation" ?!?!?! You should see/read the emails during negotiation phase. More bellyaching, whining, threats, pleading and moaning than a crooked Chicago alderman going on trial for corruption. And that's just mine. You should read some of the HRE's "negotiations"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Yasutake
United States
bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dreadnaught wrote:
"HUSHED anticipation" ?!?!?! You should see/read the emails during negotiation phase. More bellyaching, whining, threats, pleading and moaning than a crooked Chicago alderman going on trial for corruption. And that's just mine. You should read some of the HRE's "negotiations"

Hey now, HRE is now resorting mostly to stony glares, murmurs of "I told you guys so", and drowning his sorrows in German beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Miller
msg tools
Will W wrote:
At the moment the Ottomans are one key from military victory, and the Protestants will probably get Paris is Worth a Mass off this turn, winning them the game by taking over Paris and Rouen. England is threatening to win this turn too, with Drake running rings around the Spanish patrol boats.

So I finally took at look at France. All that bellyaching over there was giving me a headache, but now I see why. If Navarre takes control of Dijon than that will be two spaces next to Paris and he can play that HC Mass at Paris to take control of Paris (2 more VC for the key) plus VP from the end of turn Paris control chit.

Sooooooo Spain. You need to stop my win by having Don John win a naval battle against the entire Ottoman navy. Stop the English from winning by building more Patrols. And stop the Prots from winning by winning both the siege of Brussels and stopping Navarre outside of Dijon. Now we know why your father abdicated. He wasn't paid enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.