A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Destroying Tyrell ASAP as Martell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Earl Zombie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I would only build one ship with your CP and upgrade to a knight or seige tower. Then even if left defended you should be able to take Highgarden. The Tyrells don't get any stars, so baring a muster you could pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Allport
msg tools
Isn't the fun in gaming with a group about learning the game together and progressing together but in different ways? Or is it about getting the best strategies from other player in order to dominate? I can't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Allport
msg tools
Mind you, I just realised I posted that in strategy, I guess im not helping am I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zadok Allen
msg tools
mbmb
RedZep25 wrote:
Isn't the fun in gaming with a group about learning the game together and progressing together but in different ways? Or is it about getting the best strategies from other player in order to dominate? I can't remember.

\o/
You got a point... or half a point at least.
Then again there is no "best strategy" anyways. I'd say its like "Rock-Paper-Scissors": you pick a strategy and hope not to be countered. You often choose between "high risk - high reward" and "low risk - low reward". Your strategy has to fit the occasion to be "best". That's done while playing by evaluating the situation and your opponents.
I'd say this forum serves to "sharpen your scissors" - it can however hardly tell you exactly when to use them. Well: you ought to use them if your opponent chooses paper obviously - but will he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ru
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrZombie wrote:
I would only build one ship with your CP and upgrade to a knight or seige tower. Then even if left defended you should be able to take Highgarden. The Tyrells don't get any stars, so baring a muster you could pull it off.

As far as I have seen, heavy turn 1-2 agression usually works counterproductive: you weaken your opponent, but you also weaken yourself. Also, you attract attention early in the game, which is always something to avoid.

In this case, you may take Highgarden, but you will attract attention from Baratheon (no way you can take it and keep your own lands well defended). If you lose the East Summer Sea to Baratheon, you're in trouble. Also, you will have to use some good house cards to conquer Highgarden (+2 defense anyway and they are higher on fiefdoms). Highgarden would probably be recaptured one turn later, especially if you send only a siege engine with 0 defense. You might get lucky with a muster while your army is in Highgarden, but it's a long shot.

All in all, it might slow Tyrell down a bit, since they have to recapture Highgarden, and it may remove their house marker, but I don't think it can last long. The benefits don't outweigh the risks, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not really sure you can do this against anything less than a horrid Tyrell player and a very accommodating Baratheon player. A move this aggressive against Tyrell is an open invitation for Baratheon to devour Sunspear. You propose to defend ESS against Bara with a single ship (after sending one into WSS) with no support after using Red Viper (to win uphill battle in WSS). Or let's just assume he takes Storm's End while you've focused you attention across the map. Muster comes turn two and now he drops a ship into Sea of Dorne. Your game is over.

Early game aggression by Martell against Tyrell is a deathwish. Tyrell's cards are superior and Martell's lands are too easily seized by Baratheon when left undefended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
United States
long island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uncle benjen wrote:

Early game aggression by Martell against Tyrell is a deathwish. Tyrell's cards are superior and Martell's lands are too easily seized by Baratheon when left undefended

i agree completely. more often than not you will open the flood gates for the Stag to invade Storms End and knock on Sunspears door.
i have seen an early truce between Martell and Tyrell beneficial to both houses. i am in no way saying leave them alone, but maybe wait til turn 4 to start prodding at them to get some of their territory, and set yourself up for a round 4-5 attack while attmepting to expand rationally.
i tend to find myself wandering far from home and that being my downfall in my losses. but i have won with Martell a couple times by keeping an early game understanding between Tyrell and Baratheon (ie. offer your ship in storms ends port as a support to his ships in SBB for a few round)

but going early head on attack is definitely a quick was to a turtle position in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nob0dyisfree wrote:

but going early head on attack is definitely a quick was to a turtle position in my opinion

I haven't played much Martell, but the Tyrell house card finds me quite often. Turns 1-3, I don't really fear Martell, and I almost always secure an acceptable border (I ask for Prince's Pass, but will concede to leave it neutral). After turn 3, I fear a smart Martell who has a significant troop/barrel/muster point advantage and strong support in Sea of Dorne. Without a Clash, Tyrell is done for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.