United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
100pt dogfight, I was imp vs rebel. I usually play rebel.

Darth vader, squad leader
Backstabber (+1 attack outside defenders arc)
Night beast (cant re-roll attack dice)
3x academy pilots

versus

Wedge, r2D2
luke, determination, r2 astro
horton, ion turret, torps, defence dice astro.

Basically I tried to do a pincer formation but setting up most of my ships first let the rebels set all theirs up on one flank. No combat for 2 turns. on turn 3 horton turns to face night beast and 1 shots him with the torps without needing a re-roll. turn 4 wedge 1 shots backstabber from about 2mm away, and darth vader does a kiogran to get behind wedge, taking out his sheilds. turn 5 horton ions vader, meaning he cant get rid of his stress token. he does this 4 times till vader dies. academy pilots strip all the rebel ships of their shields, wedge uses r2d2 twice, but no actual damage is done.

conclusion: letting vader get ioned while stressed was a very very bad move. I was thinking of putting missiles on him instead of an ability and using him to take out the y wing. I will do that next time. The regular ties did ok against wedge but his ability is super powerful, probably the best pilot in the game.Sending all 5 ties to get within close range of wedge all the the same time and concentrating fire might have been a better move than trying to use any more cerebral tactics.

Also, its obvious that named pilots are better than basic ones, but for the extra couple of points I dont see why the rebels wouldnt take their skill 8 or 9 pilots, as it makes all the imperials 6 and 7 ties a bit defunct right now. The balance between named and unnamed is a lot bigger than the points gap in my opinion, even though mine didnt work out this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
conclusion: letting vader get ioned while stressed was a very very bad move.

Agreed. I played with my son who put a focus and an evade token on Vader each turn (he had lost his wingmen) and I struggled to get a hit as a consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.