United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any good 1/2 hour sitcoms?

My TV watching is primarily sports and wife watches a few hour long shows and HGTV.

I have never really liked the 1hr cop/medical/lawyer format (though wife watches castle and its not bad) and I HATE night time soaps.

I would like a 1/2 hour sitcom I could watch with the wife. I loved seinfeld, friends, and cheers (though I was too young when it was really on) and the office for a few seasons. Of the new shows, I have tried:

Community - didnt like it

Big Bang - too forced but funny on occasion. watch the occasional syndication bit, but never really make it through a whole one.

2.5 men - awful

2 broke girls - my parents like it so I watched one. It was whatever the opposite of funny is.

Its always sunny/leauge - my wife is OUT - nothing that "edgy"

I watch the Fox cartoons and am willing to go cable, but not internet. The only chance we have is to be able to DVR it and watch it when we get to it.

I have never seen any of the modern family/middle/whatever else they have shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
US-wise Modern Family is the funniest I've seen in aaaages. It also tends to leave me with a happy warm feeling inside. It's really smart in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
US-wise Modern Family is the funniest I've seen in aaaages. It also tends to leave me with a happy warm feeling inside. It's really smart in that respect.

I second Modern Family.

My wife and I also really enjoy Parks and Recreation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bang Theory is the only sitcom I watch. My wife and I enjoy watching it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't find sitcoms funny, but "Happy Endings" is different enough to hit my funny bone on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest Community. Sorry you didn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently found Happy Endings. It is like Friends with a bit more edge. The first time watching it may not jump out at you, but once you get a sense of the characters it clicks. It has some Seinfield in it as well as not all of the characters are necessarily nice all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
I generally don't find sitcoms funny, but "Happy Endings" is different enough to hit my funny bone on a regular basis.

bcaugust wrote:
We recently found Happy Endings. It is like Friends with a bit more edge. The first time watching it may not jump out at you, but once you get a sense of the characters it clicks. It has some Seinfield in it as well as not all of the characters are necessarily nice all the time.

Consider me another vote for Happy Endings.

My wife and I are not the key demographic, but we find it hilarious.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Go watch Modern Family naow.

But maybe you are just not into the modern day devlopment of the sitcom 1/2 show concept?

I do think that Modern Family is heavly influenced by the shows you did like earlier. (But so are quite a few of the ones you don't like)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Modern Family. Hilarious. We tried to watch Happy Endings, but weren't impressed. The characters seem to be too cool and too hip to be likeable. I found them completely annoying. Though, at 48, I may just be a curmudgeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, Raising Hope? It's on right now and available on Netflix if you want to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Go On. It's probably my second favorite sitcom on TV right now. My favorite is How I Met Your Mother, but that's grinding towards its finish, and would be virtually incomprehensible to someone just tuning in now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I'd recommend Go On. It's probably my second favorite sitcom on TV right now. My favorite is How I Met Your Mother, but that's grinding towards its finish, and would be virtually incomprehensible to someone just tuning in now.

The only sitcom I watch right now is Go On. It's pretty funny. So I second Blott's recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Seconding Arrested Development.

How about some BBC:

Blackbooks

IT Crowd

Jeeves and Wooster

and if you and the misses don't mind sexual comedy how about Steve Moffat's Couplings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
Blott wrote:

The only sitcom I watch right now is Go On. It's pretty funny. So I second Blott's recommendation.

Good to hear. I love Brad Whitford * and was hoping this might be fun. Something to look for on Netflix next year . . .

* Edit - realised at dinner that I had the wrong Aaaron Sorkin alum. I love Matthew Perry a litttle less than Brad Whitford, but I'm still a fan . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed the few episodes of "New Girl" with Zooey Deschanel that I've caught here in Germany. It's funny and I find it makes me smile a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There aren't many I watch, but I did arrive late to Arrested Development.

That's another rare comedy that I've enjoyed, although you need to watch the episodes in chronological order due to the continuous (and hilarious!) storyline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
Seconding Arrested Development.

How about some BBC:

Blackbooks

IT Crowd

Jeeves and Wooster

and if you and the misses don't mind sexual comedy how about Steve Moffat's Couplings.

How about going all the way to New Zealand:

Flight of the Conchords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like "New Girl", "Go On", and "Raising Hope". I'd give them a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVED Flight of the Choncords when it was on here and the one or two BLack Books I saw were funny. I will check BBC America.

I will look at modern Family, Go On (which I have never heard of), Raising Hope, and happy endings (never heard of that either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for "new girl" It almost always gets a "laugh out loud" out of me. "Parks and recreation" is funny, but more dryly quirky, and it grows on you. Whitney, I like Whitney Cummings, she's just funny. My fave 1/2 hour show has been "How I met your mother", but it's run it's course I think. That's about it for my TV liking right now...

Except for icarly. My kids turned me on to that show. We laugh and laugh. For a kid's show, it's funny stuff. (on nickelodeon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There aren't many I watch, but I did arrive late to Arrested Development.

Also, if you aren't averse to slightly longer shows, Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls are both awesome.

I love Pushing Daises and Arrested Development!

*Runs to see what Wonderfalls is*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More nods for Arrested Development and Flight of the Conchords. And if you liked Friends, Coupling is similar but funnier.

You might consider some classic ensemble cast sitcoms like Night Court or NewsRadio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Ted
Spaced
dinnerladies
Miranda
Blackadder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions from all above (didn't like Community?) I would add

30 Rock

and if you liked Seinfeld then Curb your Enthusiasm

and I think Not Going Out is pretty cute.

And if you don't like edgy don't watch Louie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.