United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi- I am seeking someone who has the expertise and time to make a Vassal module for our game, Spearpoint 1943. This has been our most successful game so far and several fans have requested a Vassal version of it. I am more than willing to allow this but simply don't have the skills to do it myself. If anyone can help out, please reply here and let me know. I can provide all graphics and can help with testing as needed.

Thanks
Byron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S0laris
Italy
Rome
Lazio
flag msg tools
this is very interesting stuff! i've been intrigued by this game by some time now, but i yet have to cave in. im not overly fond of card games, but on the other hand i love tactical scale games..

i have no experience with the system, wich is not necessairly a BIG deal when making vassal modules, but it definitely helps for the little kinks, and i personally really dont have much experience in handling cards trough vassal functions, or i would had jumped into this right now. tell ya what, if no one else (doubt it-) gonna take this into theyr more expert hands, im willing to try playing around making a basic working module.

edit:

unless you specifically want Vassal, maybe for a card game a ZunTzu module would work just a good, and possibly would be even easier to make, since im assuming you have all the components scanned already. that is, if the system itself doesnt make the inherent simplicty of zuntzu interface feel too clunky- wich i cant really say, becouse i had no chance yet to try this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but since ZunTzu was mentioned, I'll throw this in the ring. The developer for ZunTzu is getting ready to release an iPad version (ed: of ZunTzu). I don't know if this is something you would also be interested in. If you would be willing to have your game ported to ZunTzu as well as Vassal I would be willing to arrange the ZunTzu version for you and as soon as the iPad version (ed: of ZunTzu) is ready we can debut it there as well. If there is no interest in this idea, just ignore my post. No harm ... no foul.

Edit: Just clarifying the thing being released on the iPad is the ZunTzu software and not anyone's game necessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far guys- I may take a look at ZunTzu if that's an easier interface.

As far as ipad implementation, I do have a developer working on an ios/android version of the game as a standalone app, so I'm not quite sure how that would work to rely on it being played through ZunTzu. Standalone for that application would probably be best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far guys- I may take a look at ZunTzu if that's an easier interface.

As far as ipad implementation, I do have a developer working on an ios/android version of the game as a standalone app, so I'm not quite sure how that would work to rely on it being played through ZunTzu. Standalone for that application would probably be best.

ZunTzu would not be a good 'engine' for your commercial product. The issue would rather be the licensing deal/terms you have made with your iOS/Android developer regarding competing versions of your game on the same platform (exclusivity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$/hr ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the goal of online play is to connect players, and Vassal is the defacto standard hands down. Ive seen countless zuntsu modules come and go but I have only played one game of ZunTssu compared to 100's of vassal games.

ZunTsu may be great if you have another player to play with, but vassal is a more common ground. Both are great options. ZunTsu definitely looks prettier, and has a really cool interface.

I would highly suggest going with vassal.

It seems possible to copy the existing module for pacific typhoon since it has multiple decks and an open playing area. Would be cool to have the markers from the expansion included in the vassal module to indicate attacker/target info

edit- Cant seem to find pacific typhoon module
Kaiser Pirates may work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ZunTzu Bill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The (hopefully) imminent release of ZunTzu 2 should address most, if not all, of its few current shortcomings.

I know that VASSAL has far more users, but I've never liked it. Aside from the superiority of ZT's interface (and its variable zoom) it has always been far easier and quicker to develop modules for, and it will become almost trivial to do so in a couple of months time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
For me the goal of online play is to connect players, and Vassal is the defacto standard hands down. Ive seen countless zuntsu modules come and go but I have only played one game of ZunTssu compared to 100's of vassal games.

ZunTsu may be great if you have another player to play with, but vassal is a more common ground. Both are great options. ZunTsu definitely looks prettier, and has a really cool interface.

I would highly suggest going with vassal.

It seems possible to copy the existing module for pacific typhoon since it has multiple decks and an open playing area. Would be cool to have the markers from the expansion included in the vassal module to indicate attacker/target info

edit- Cant seem to find pacific typhoon module
Kaiser Pirates may work

I wasn't suggesting the OP replace Vassal with ZunTzu. I was simply suggesting he could do ZunTzu AND Vassal and I would help him get the ZunTzu piece setup. You, for example, could help him get the Vassal mod squared away. It just seems to me that he could reach more people. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Better late than never.

GM sent to the OP. I can take a crack at it, but I only own Spearpoint and would need scans of the cards (150 dpi or better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Better late than never.

GM sent to the OP. I can take a crack at it, but I only own Spearpoint and would need scans of the cards (150 dpi or better).

Judd, thanks, and I'll be sending you original print files (300 dpi).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
airjudden wrote:
Better late than never.

I take it you are handy at the Vassal module creation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no Super Joel. I just made my first two this month (links take you to the module):

Caesar's Gallic War

Campaign Commander, Vol II: Coral Sea

I make 'em for games that I really want to play and really need more love and exposure. I'm working on a tutorial for beginners written from a non-Java-dude's beginner's perspective.

The cards in this game will be easy to create. Figuring out how to orient on the playing field may be a challenge. We shall see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat McLaughlin
Australia
Canberra
A.C.T.
flag msg tools
badge
What's another word for Thesaurus?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made quite a few Vassal modules over the years and would be willing to help out if you need/want a hand.

Here are some of them...

Tigris & Euphrates

Vino

Axis & Allies

Bug Eyed Monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron,

If Pat is willing, I would recommend trying him first, as he is much more experienced at these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
And I inquire because of conversations I have had recently with game folk who may be looking for Vassal module authors. Now I need to send a few emails and shake the weeds.

And anyone else who creates modules please post as I plan on compiling a list of potential VM creators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I'm working on a tutorial for beginners written from a non-Java-dude's beginner's perspective.

Before you put too much time into this, you may wish to review Ed Messina's superb Module Designer's Guide, lest you reinvent the wheel. It is as introductory as anyone could reasonably expect. At some point an aspiring module creator will simply have to learn some of the technical terms (but again, there is zero programming knowledge required, this is a common misconception).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:

ZunTzu would not be a good 'engine' for your commercial product. The issue would rather be the licensing deal/terms you have made with your iOS/Android developer regarding competing versions of your game on the same platform (exclusivity).

I assume any commercial version of a game made for iOS/Android would be a polished affair with a competent AI and the ability to play others via the internet and/or hotseat? ZunTzu and Vassal don't support AI so their ability to compete against a well made professional product is limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
airjudden wrote:
I'm working on a tutorial for beginners written from a non-Java-dude's beginner's perspective.

Before you put too much time into this, you may wish to review Ed Messina's superb Module Designer's Guide, lest you reinvent the wheel. It is as introductory as anyone could reasonably expect. At some point an aspiring module creator will simply have to learn some of the technical terms (but again, there is zero programming knowledge required, this is a common misconception).

Oh, NOW you tell me

That is sweet! The one I was working on was even more rudimentary, loaded with tons of screen shots, and it comes from the angle, of "let's re-build my module, step-by-step." But now that I have a module under my belt, I am totally loving that guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Byron,

If Pat is willing, I would recommend trying him first, as he is much more experienced at these.

Ok, Judd Pat, would you like to take the helm on this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.